Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2011-06-21 07:08:43

wet
Developer
Website

Re: Where does all that spam come from?

rel=follow is the “default”.

Thing is: Spammers spam. That’s what they do for a living.

They spam no matter whether it helps them or doesn’t do anything good at all, because mindlessly spamming everything which looks like a place to drop some links is cheaper than researching their spam target beforehand for rel= attributes and robots.txt exclusions and whatnot.

We will probably have to live with them, as this is the world Google gave us.

#12 2011-06-21 07:13:52

Els
Admin
Website

wet wrote:

rel=follow is the “default”.

Doh. Not enough sleep I guess.

We will probably have to live with them, as this is the world Google gave us.

That makes sense, I just had the impression that there has been a sudden increase recently and wondered what (if anything) could have caused that.

Last edited by Els (2011-06-21 07:14:12)

<txp:Els /> ;)
Tag Reference | Unexpected behaviour? Check the tag trace | Still no clue? Check the names of your custom fields

#13 2011-06-21 13:09:58

michaelkpate
Website

The forum I installed for my WoW Guild has 1,308 members, which is pretty amazing because only 2-3 of the 15-20 active members post regularly.

We don’t have a problem with posts so much as stuffing links in the profiles. I am rather disappointed in the forum software.

Textpattern Community Member since 2004-02-23 | World Headquarters

#14 2011-06-21 13:14:03

Bloke
Developer
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

I am rather disappointed in the forum software.

Ditto for all forum software I’ve ever encountered. There has to be a better way…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2011-06-23 13:12:36

Destry
Website

wet wrote:

We will probably have to live with [spammers], as this is the world Google gave us.

Spammers will always exist, sure. But we don’t have to tolerate the software. Or more to the point, do everything through this forum.

In just the threads that I follow, spam post frequency already outnumbers that of regular posts. That’s bad.

I did offer two cents on a sensible course of action (moving content out). Fighting spam in fewer threads is certainly a step in the right direction (not to mention it’s the smart thing to do anyway). Granted that means troops need to rally on several fronts — .com, .org, .net… — but it would pay off in more ways than one.

I think holding off on TXP 5 to get the mothership and platforms in order is a wise move, frankly.

#16 2011-06-23 14:54:35

colak
Admin
Website

I think that most of the spam comes from bots. All we need is a script to block them.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#17 2011-06-24 16:06:01

Destry
Website

colak wrote:

All we need is a script to block them.

I’m relieved to know the solution is apparently just 10 minutes work away. So who’s got the magic script, already?

#18 2011-06-24 16:27:31

colak
Admin
Website

Destry wrote:

I’m relieved to know the solution is apparently just 10 minutes work away. So who’s got the magic script, already?

I’m an idiot with this kind of things but as I mentioned earlier there is a new script for the latest punBB release. If someone can adapt it for this one, we are close to solving the current problem.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#19 2011-06-24 20:43:06

Gocom
Developer
Website

colak wrote:

If someone can adapt it for this one, we are close to solving the current problem.

It helps to some degree, blocks the totally mindless bots. It has the same feature set as my rah_comment_spam plugin for Textpattern. But as with rah_comment_spam, it will also potentially effect us, the real users.

Altho, for the time being the forum doesn’t get that much new real users, so if there were that sort of anti-spam plugin — link count, duplicate post block feature (that’s what that plugin is too) — and it was limited to users with low rank (time/post count), we could be pretty okay in minimizing the side effects.

Rah-plugins | What? I’m a little confused… again :-) <txp:is_god />

#20 2011-06-28 00:48:08

hcgtv
Website

Bloke wrote:

Ditto for all forum software I’ve ever encountered. There has to be a better way…

There is better forum software.

The only saving grace is that spammers haven’t quite gotten the hang of Textile ;)

txp:tag – Textpattern Tags ~ TxPlanet – Textpattern Planet

Board footer