Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-03-29 17:53:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: A Drupal User: Wake up community - Wordpress.org should scare you!

maruchan wrote:

If Textpattern 5 really is focused on achieving a sort of competitive software parity, IMO the chances of it sucking really bad increase dramatically.

If Textpattern 5 is focused on such parity a) I’m not aware of it, and b) last time1 I braved a glance at the WordPress / Drupal / Joomla admin sides they were painful and slow to use. It’s like “here’s everything you ever might need, 80% of it you won’t touch, but here are a million icons and fancy graphics anyway. Now go wade through it all.” I have no desire to replicate that experience in TXP.

1 It was a while ago. Things may have improved.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2011-03-29 19:29:41

maruchan
Website

It’s like “here’s everything you ever might need, 80% of it you won’t touch

Annoyingly common, isn’t it? It’s particularly annoying when templating work becomes 90% plugin front end overrides. And especially overrides on the yucky front end of an unstable plugin, which means you’ll be redoing your overrides the next time you upgrade! Yuck!

#15 2011-03-29 21:47:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maruchan wrote:

If Textpattern needs to compete with Wordpress and Drupal and Joomla, then good luck and be sure to write back and tell us how it goes. But I look at the software and wonder why the only direction has to be “up” and why people think that new feature development is going to solve that.

Marc, it’s not about going “up”, it’s about going “out”.

I’m talking about grabbing 1% of the user base, and I’ll gladly leave the other 99% of the market to the other projects. And I think that most other projects in Open Source CMS land would be quite content to have their small slice of the pie also. But you see, there’s this one project that drapes the Open Source flag around them while it marches towards domination.

Like the title of this thread states, WordPress should scare you!

#16 2011-03-30 16:27:38

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote:

Like the title of this thread states, WordPress should scare you!

Not that I mind my interesting discussions, but Wordpress.org in the title refers not to the WordPress the project, but the actual website and the resources contained therein.

the original poster wrote:

Spending only a few minutes on wordpress.org was a very scary wakeup call for me about how far behind we are. What immediately struck me was that everything there is about using WordPress, not developing it. When I search for modules, themes etc the information presented is about stable releases, how to install them and so on. The closest you get to coding is a link, in the sidebar, to the developer log. That’s it, nothing that can create confusion for new users!

So leaving aside how incredibly awful or awfully incredible Wordpress the project is, the question is does textpattern.com do a good job presenting a face to the new users we want to attract? That was the question that Destry made in the thread I originally linked to and I thought this was worth bringing up here. I think the current textpattern.com is fantastic and many orders of magnitude better than the original, but I have always believed that there is always room for improvement.

Since we are trying to increase the size of the user community and wordpress.org is a model for a successful one, is there anything there worth copying/stealing/borrowing?

Last edited by michaelkpate (2011-03-30 16:28:21)

#17 2011-03-30 18:39:07

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

Since we are trying to increase the size of the user community and wordpress.org is a model for a successful one, is there anything there worth copying/stealing/borrowing?

Matt Mullenweg

Board footer