Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-25 14:39:23

candyman

Flarum forum software

The awesome Vanilla2 board is now perfectly integrated with Wordpress.

A forum Txp-flavoured has never been thought?

The idea behind Vanilla2 is very interesting but the style reminds me the bulky Wordpress. I’d like something original like that, with all the integration tools (for FB, twitter…) but more fast and light. Any suggestion?

Last edited by candyman (2011-01-25 14:39:50)

#2 2011-01-26 18:33:08

artagesw
Website

Re: Flarum forum software

I’m using Vanilla 2 over on my Escher site and I like it a lot. I have integrated it with my blog so that blog comments are actually handled by Vanilla and posted to corresponding forum threads. It’s pretty slick.

#3 2011-01-26 19:42:33

candyman

Very interesting CMS, really. Love the FTP-like structure.

#4 2011-01-26 21:46:35

maruchan
Website

I have integrated it with my blog so that blog comments are actually handled by Vanilla and posted to corresponding forum threads. It’s pretty slick.

Hey Sam, can you point me to directions for something like that? I was wondering if it was possible…seems it is.

Last edited by maruchan (2011-01-26 21:46:43)

#5 2011-01-26 22:06:22

xtreme164

I’m using Vanilla 2 on my website and it work great!

#6 2011-01-26 23:44:29

artagesw
Website

maruchan wrote:

Hey Sam, can you point me to directions for something like that? I was wondering if it was possible…seems it is.

Well, I wrote an Escher plugin to do it, so any instructions I might give would be Escher-specific. I plan to write a “howto” blog post about it in the near future.

#7 2011-01-26 23:50:43

maniqui
Website

Sam, I’m curious too.

Does forum post also get mirrored on blog post? Are posts duplicated across different databases/tables?

An poor’s man (not programmer) alternative could be to generate an XML/JSON of the comments/posts from one side (the forum) and output them in the blog post, while also providing a form in the blog post that would post new messages to the forum software. I’m just thinking aloud.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2011-01-26 23:58:59

artagesw
Website

When I post a new article to my blog, my Escher plugin creates a new Vanilla forum thread for the related comments.

If a visitor subsequently clicks “leave a comment” on the blog post, he will be directed to the corresponding forum thread. If he posts to that thread, his comment will also display under the blog post. There is only one copy of the comment in the database (in Vanilla), and the Escher plugin pulls it for display under the corresponding blog post.

Edit: I don’t mind if anyone wants to leave a short comment just to see how it works.

Last edited by artagesw (2011-01-27 00:00:59)

#9 2011-01-27 00:14:32

maniqui
Website

Thanks for the explanation, Sam.

I have integrated it with my blog so that blog comments are actually handled by Vanilla and posted to corresponding forum threads. It’s pretty slick.

So, now I see it: blog comments are, in fact, forum posts at corresponding forum thread, thus, it requires the commentator to register/login (which isn’t a typical requirement in more common commenting systems for blogs).

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2011-01-27 00:42:14

artagesw
Website

maniqui wrote:

So, now I see it: blog comments are, in fact, forum posts at corresponding forum thread, thus, it requires the commentator to register/login (which isn’t a typical requirement in more common commenting systems for blogs).

True, but it also acts a decent spam filter. :) I could have implemented it differently (post the comment via a form on the blog and inject it into the forum thread). But I chose to do it this way to deter spam and encourage joining the forum.

#11 2011-01-29 23:53:10

Destry
Website

Sam,

That sounds like a wonderful way to redo the forum here. Use Vanilla 2 in general for the new forum (this one is showing it’s age), and have a new section in the new Forum associated specifically to textpattern.com blog articles, with the behavior your describe. Most, if not all, people that comment in the blog are forum users already anyway, so creating accounts (for those who actually need one) shouldn’t be a big deal for this community.

Just a thought. I see so much talk about our forum…the pros/cons of different systems, etc, but I don’t see any sign of anybody actually making a move to change anything. Maybe this would be a good way to do it. Decide on Vanilla 2 and implement your Textforum symbiosis. Seems like a great move to me.

#12 2011-01-30 10:24:49

candyman

As I told in the past, I agree with Destry for the switch but we need a textile plugin for Vanilla2, first.

The other doubt is about speed (it seems to me Vanilla2 is slower than fluxbb for example) but all the fabs features (integration with Facebook, embedded-ready structure, tons of plugins and so on…) put Vanilla actually on the top of the list hands down…

… even if Vanilla2 has been presented like a Wordpress for Forums… Actually I don’t see a Txp for Forums: a flexible engine, easy to customize but very clean out of the box. Someone knows any interesting project, maybe?

About the Sam’s plugin I wonder how difficult would be translating it in a txp-one.
It would be nicer to add the possibility to choose between the articles that need to be replicated on the forum (maybe with a box to check in the edit area): not all the articles would deserve to be discussed on the forum, according to me.

Last edited by candyman (2011-01-30 10:36:46)

Board footer