Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-24 16:31:36

Destry
Website

Duck Duck Go (cool new search engine)

Duck Duck Go Textpattern

Clean, lovely results.

Finding some new (to me) stuff in there, like Textpattern Workshops (that could be useful) and Why Textpattern should choose Android over iPhone (Ouch!)

#2 2011-01-24 17:14:26

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Duck Duck Go (cool new search engine)

Looks good. No ads? Will it last?

Code is topiary

#3 2011-01-24 18:25:55

GugUser

Textpattern Workshops? Except a background picture I don’t see anything.

#4 2011-01-24 20:36:37

els

GugUser wrote:

Textpattern Workshops? Except a background picture I don’t see anything.

Maybe that is the workshop: create some content ;)

#5 2011-01-24 21:23:40

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Actually it’s a test pattern workshop, but they can’t spell very well.

Code is topiary

#6 2011-01-25 13:36:22

Destry
Website

jsoo wrote:

Actually it’s a test pattern workshop, but they can’t spell very well.

Funny.

Yep, Els had it right. I was thinking that could be adopted for other useful things.

And now that we know they f-ed it up, LOL, then it should be even easier to get it. (still laughing)

Though that’s not on my high priorities. :)

#7 2011-01-25 13:41:01

Destry
Website

In the meantime, I’ve been using DuckDuck, and I like it so much I’ve since made it my default search engine on all devices. There’s a nice mobile version. I love it. It doesn’t seem to crawl as deeply as Google into more profound data types, but I love the gems it does dig up in the web nevertheless. And the presentation just works.

#8 2011-01-25 13:46:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

According to GoDaddy’s whois, textpatternworkshops.com is owned by Marie Poulin (yes that one).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2011-01-25 20:01:30

els

Oh, it would be nice if Marie would publish her tutorials on that site. She probably will, I guess.

It reminded me of other, really defunct or just empty Txp related sites: txp manual and textpattern.nl. If the site owners (we know who they are, so we could contact them) can’t maintain them, it would be better these sites didn’t exist at all, the way they are now I can’t blame people for thinking Txp is dead…

#10 2011-01-25 21:06:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

It reminded me of other, really defunct or just empty Txp related sites: txp manual and textpattern.nl. If the site owners (we know who they are, so we could contact them) can’t maintain them, it would be better these sites didn’t exist at all, the way they are now I can’t blame people for thinking Txp is dead…

There are a lot of sites in the Textpattern world where a visitor would get a very bad impression. But that’s up to the site owner to either a) hand the site over to an active member of the community, b) redirect visitors to some place useful, or c) let the domain expire.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way

#11 2011-01-26 11:25:11

Destry
Website

(This is a very good discussion, but it should have been moved to a new thread with a more suggestive subject title.)

Yes, it is up to the site owners, as Bert says, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be approached about it, as Els suggests. I seem to recall that Walker’s Manual site was a school project (as many such sites are). But I’m guessing these people move on in their lives and interests and have these places they forget about or aren’t interested in anymore and they’d be more than happy to wrap up loose ends, as it were.

Even if they want to keep them, we could begin to work out some kind of flagging process to show that they are not active sites. For example, we could start a wiki page, Textpattern Projects Directory, and list sites there, breaking the lists into sections like School Projects, etc. For each item, we might indicate when the site was created, who owns it, if it’s still active, and perhaps a note about existing value (if no value, what steps could we take to deal with it).

Go DuckDuckGo Textpattern!

#12 2011-01-26 15:33:42

els

Destry wrote:

Go DuckDuckGo Textpattern!

Next steps:

1. get the world to use DuckDuckGo
  2. get DuckDuckGo to display these exact search results for ?q=cms

;)

Board footer