Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2011-02-07 21:51:21

mrdale
Website

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

maverick wrote:

I know everyone has a plugin that they’d argue should be in the core.

cough… upm_save_new cough…

#86 2011-02-08 15:32:38

merz1
Website

Guys, before everybody starts to throw in his:her favorite plug-in lists…

Strategy of future safe adoption: Not plug-in integration but core development team ‘adoption’?

Strategy is the point. The dev team should have a defined process how to select, manage and maintain those ‘adopted’ plug-ins.

IMHO such a repository would (also) be an easy & powerful marketing argument to catch new TXP users (before forcing them to loop through the good old install, try, error, problem, forum, solution queue).

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#87 2011-02-08 15:45:43

joebaich
Website

merz1 wrote:

Strategy of future safe adoption: Not plug-in integration but core development team ‘adoption’?

Strategy is the point. The dev team should have a defined process how to select, manage and maintain those ‘adopted’ plug-ins.

IMHO such a repository would (also) be an easy & powerful marketing argument to catch new TXP users (before forcing them to loop through the good old install, try, error, problem, forum, solution queue).

B U L L S E Y E !

Last edited by joebaich (2011-02-08 15:46:10)

#88 2011-02-12 15:59:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry for the delay in responding, vacationing in Florida with Mickey.

mrdale wrote:

Couple things, Bert (I appreciate your view and respectfully disagree)
I am interested in the devs (you and I) who want to be able to build powerful sites.

I’m not a Web Developer, I’m a content creator, and as such Textpattern 4.3.0 fits my needs just fine.

I am interested in the 9 to 5 users (site editors) who just want their sites to look good and be able to edit the content with a minimum of fuss

There are a lot of user friendly blogging tools these days.

I do “get” textile, and find it to be a functional impediment to site editors actually editing content.

Textile is built-in to Textpattern, hiding it from users is like hiding template tags from web developers.

We can debate forever Dale, but we’re looking at Textpattern from two different perspectives, so we’ll never come to any agreement. While you use Textpattern to make sites for clients, I use Textpattern for my own needs and my needs are not wanting.

#89 2011-02-18 00:54:57

tye
Website

Just another though, how about some more love to sections and categories…. such as:

1 – Ordering function in back end
2 – Meta tags on creation
3 – Comments on or off per section

It was just a passing thought, I’m sure there is more to add.

As for the textile/WYSIWYG argument, I’m on the same side as mrdale – I build sites for clients – this is what they want… but can see hcgtv’s point of view because I don’t use a WYSIWYG editor on my own content sites, I try to use textile.

So how about having a toggle switch on the write tab – like hak_tinymce, or the option on have a WYSIWYG on install?

#90 2011-02-18 11:59:03

Algaris

How about a WYSIWYG editor that outputs textile? That way if you turn it off you’re just left with the textile markup.

Last edited by Algaris (2011-02-18 12:01:27)

#91 2011-02-18 15:14:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Algaris wrote:

How about a WYSIWYG editor that outputs textile? That way if you turn it off you’re just left with the textile markup.

rah_textile_bar comes to mind, maybe updating it with all that you can do with the new Textile library that is being worked on?

#92 2011-02-18 15:26:21

hakjoon
Website

Algaris wrote:

I keep wanting to build this into hak_tinymce. I need to sit down and figure out the html->textile part.

I’d love to see the text processing pieces be pluggable. After all textile is a separate project now so it would be nice to plug in markdown etc in there. This would also allow for textile enhancements outside of TXP releases.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#93 2011-02-18 15:50:33

Algaris

I’ve tried rah_textile_bar in the past. The main problem for me is that when I want to insert an image or a hyperlink it pops up so many different windows asking me to type in address, alt text, etc. hak_tinymce on the other hand brings up one image window that allows me to browse and select the image I want and input the alt text, etc in one go.

That would be a nice enhancement to your plugin hakjoon.

Last edited by Algaris (2011-02-18 15:52:38)

#94 2011-02-18 16:12:06

maverick
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I need to sit down and figure out the html->textile part.

wouldn’t that make it — wysiwyg -> html -> textile -> html — ??

#95 2011-02-18 16:21:45

maverick
Website

Algaris wrote:

I’ve tried rah_textile_bar in the past. The main problem for me is that when I want to insert an image or a hyperlink it pops up so many different windows asking me to type in address, alt text, etc. hak_tinymce on the other hand brings up one image window that allows me to browse and select the image I want and input the alt text, etc in one go.

Related by tangent. I’ve found situations where I wished wet_quicklink could work with the other content types (links, files and images) as well. It would create a generic “Insert” option in the left hand menu. Combined with rah_textile_bar, it would meet most of my needs for in-article insertion.

Alternately, if bot_image_upload and bot_file_upload could have an option to insert a link in the article body, that would also get most of the way.

#96 2011-02-18 19:39:41

hakjoon
Website

maverick wrote:
wouldn’t that make it — wysiwyg -> html -> textile -> html — ??

Yes. The idea was that you could process content on save from tinyMCE back into textile. When you loaded it up you could pull the body_html value to edit. It’s a bit round about but if you want to keep stuff in textile it would give you a real wysiwyg.

I personally just use an admin version of hak_textile_tags I built ages ago. The same functionality can be had with Mary’s upm_quicktags and my textile implementation for it.

rah_textilebar worked differently in a slight way that I didn’t like, and since I had something written already I just kept using. New users would probably be better of with Jukka’s work.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer