Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#151 2011-08-11 00:35:38

tye
Website

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

aswihart, renobird, Mr Dale & anyone else who agrees – Custom Content Types +10000000000

This is what I was eluding to in this post – but didn’t know the correct terminology and didn’t explain it too well

#152 2011-08-11 00:35:39

aswihart
Website

Sam — I am watching the video for your 0.9.2 release, great stuff, really impressive. So, although I’m just scraping the surface, it seems like you’ve got a really nice, working solution to the custom content types problem, implemented in a way similar to what I would expect in Txp. I still need to learn more about how Models work with Pages and the other pre-defined content models, but I’m liking it. I’d say the devs should take a look at your methods for inspiration if not copy them.

Give the lack of documentation, I can’t say for sure, but is the et:pages:each tag the equivalent of txp:article? It would be amazing if you could use a new tag on the fly like txp:song, as I described earlier, rather than <txp:article model=“song” />. Think that’s feasible?

And just curious, how are Escher’s “Pages” stored in the database, separate tables or all in one dumping ground a la Txp’s Article? Obviously, depending on how you use Pages, it would be better to have separate tables for different models. I realize the database implications of this are daunting, but is it possible?

Last edited by aswihart (2011-08-11 01:32:22)

#153 2011-08-11 01:21:28

aswihart
Website

Also, this might be controversial, imagine if the currently predefined models (article, image, link, comment, file) were converted to default model templates. You would select a template or start from scratch and customize your content type (let’s call it a model). You could have two image models, for example, but they wouldn’t even really have to be called image models, they’re models with an image field. One could be txp:coverart and another txp:avatar.

Would this be a fundamental shift away from Txp as we know it? What do other people think? The database implications of this aren’t clear to me, but I’m guessing it would have a good chance of breaking backwards compatibility.

#154 2011-08-11 01:32:29

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Would this be a fundamental shift away from Txp as we know it? What do other people think? The database implications of this aren’t clear to me, but I’m guessing it would have a good chance of breaking backwards compatibility.

I have to say that I’d be a lot happier with something like <txp:article model="song"/> than <txp:song/>. Making any kind of custom content type its own txp:tag seems like too much potential for namespace collisions.

#155 2011-08-11 01:44:32

aswihart
Website

johnstephens wrote:

I have to say that I’d be a lot happier with something like <txp:article model="song"/> than <txp:song/>. Making any kind of custom content type its own txp:tag seems like too much potential for namespace collisions.

I appreciate that if it is an issue, I don’t know. It adds up to quite a bit of extra markup after a while and is harder to read, but the functionality is the most important thing.

#156 2011-08-11 05:27:07

artagesw
Developer
Website

maruchan wrote:

I mentioned this to you on Twitter but I think that working with assets is a bit rough right now. Drop-down menus for choosing images are fine for a demo site, but I know my clients with 100+ images would want a sortable list + search functionality. Ditto with files.

I agree – this is a completely valid criticism. Escher 1.0 is all about the site developer/designer and giving him/her a powerful set of site creation tools. It’s much less about the client/end user. That will be the focus of Escher 2.0.

#157 2011-08-11 05:40:26

artagesw
Developer
Website

aswihart wrote:

Give the lack of documentation, I can’t say for sure, but is the et:pages:each tag the equivalent of txp:article?

Not quite. Escher’s context model is a bit different from Textpattern’s. Escher tags essentially either (a) set the current context to a specific object, or (b) operate on that object. By default, the current context is always the page object for the page identified by the current URL (in the address bar). The <et:content> tag, for example, pulls page parts out of the current page. By default, it will pull the “body” part, but you can pull any page part by naming it (eg. <et:content part=“sidebar” />).

<et:pages:each> will loop over arbitrary pages (specified via search attributes), and and set the context to each in turn. Then, you can use other tags (such as <et:content>) to pull content from those pages.

All Escher tags use this model, and consistent naming conventions make it easy to learn the tag system. (Want to pull the title form a page? Call <et:title> in a page context. Want to pull the title of a category? Use <et:title> in a category context. Etc.)

aswihart wrote:

And just curious, how are Escher’s “Pages” stored in the database, separate tables or all in one dumping ground a la Txp’s Article? Obviously, depending on how you use Pages, it would be better to have separate tables for different models. I realize the database implications of this are daunting, but is it possible?

Pages are stored in a single pages table. Parts are stored in a separate parts table.

#158 2011-08-11 05:52:26

tye
Website

Take a look at umbraco for ideas on client/end users integration for txp5 or Escher.

I’ve had to use this CMS (runs on asp .NET ) for a couple of clients, and believe me – the admin area is amazingly intuitive, – you can create custom content types for each section, associate multiple templates to each custom content type (you choose on creation), then the whole UI is pretty much editable to suit your needs.

Clients just seem to understand get how it works – I think because it is laid out the exact same way their site is, and obviously each custom content type is crafted to their sites needs.

I think the layout could be improved – but its all there. Llike I mentioned before, I’m not sure if the same system is doable in php/mysql (I’m sure it is) – but if anyone wants to take look in a staging site I have online, just pm or email me – they don’t have a test site.

#159 2011-08-11 07:40:00

maruchan
Website

TXP 6.0b1

<txp:canvas width="600" height="400" form="game_setup">
  <txp:smd_game_loop>
    <txp:smd_update_position object="player1"/>
    <txp:smd_update_position object="player2"/>
    <txp:smd_update_position object="enemy"/>
    <txp:smd_play_sound object="engine_noise"/>
  </txp:smd_game_loop>
</txp:canvas>

Oooh, fun one that would be…

You have a total of 2,344 plugins installed. Your last Textpattern upgrade was 1.2 years ago. You should update now.

runs around screaming

Last edited by maruchan (2011-08-11 07:53:03)

#160 2011-08-11 13:54:10

merz1
Website

IMHO what aswihart said above is really worth a deeper thought. Maybe not exactly a feature for TXP 5 but maybe for future versions.

… imagine if the currently predefined models (article, image, link, comment, file) were converted to default model templates. You would select a template or start from scratch and customize your content type (let’s call it a model).

• Abstract: I am wondering if this is not reinventing the wheel because the whole issue is what XML was invented for. Not sure what ‘XML for TXP’ could mean for the future of TXP :)
  • Basics: Is the creation of more content types a plug-in issue?
  • Type: Aren’t we talking about a meta level structure for sets of n custom fields +/and/or presets of TXP:tags? (like well formed XML with all consequences)
  • Name: custom content type?
  • Name: content role model?
  • Name: custom field set?

Note: There is a principal database problem with the integration of XML data sets/models. The underlying SQL database for Textpattern is not capable of offering a performant coverage of extensive XML data sets. The XML approach will always be restricted to a predefined data set (or the SQL database will explode :).

Last edited by merz1 (2011-08-11 14:00:55)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer