Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2010-10-03 12:07:33

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [textile] Textile 2.2

Are we going to get a new “Reference” for this version or is Alex going to upgrade the current one?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#38 2010-10-03 17:18:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

Are we going to get a new “Reference” for this version

See here for info. Thoughts welcome.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#39 2010-10-03 18:16:19

mrdale
Website

Wow. With all that incredible work, it kinda makes me feel bad about never using textile.

Excellent work mon-frer

#40 2010-10-03 20:25:49

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Textile certainly merits a better public face than it has now, what with neither “official” user test/instructions site up to date. Making it an independent project has possibilities both good and bad. I’d think we’d want to figure out who the main stakeholders are, not just for PHP but for the various ports. Questions of control & direction.

As to hosting, I have my old TextDrive VC2 account (remember when?), which I don’t really use. If that would be sufficient for the expected traffic I’d be happy to put it to use. Domain costs: if we’re talking about the usual USD10/year or so, no problem.

The “when handed over” in your blog post: what do you envision as the future role of the core Txp devs in this project? Are there questions of copyright to deal with? Is anybody in contact with Dean these days?

Code is topiary

#41 2010-10-03 21:34:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jsoo wrote:

I’d think we’d want to figure out who the main stakeholders are, not just for PHP but for the various ports.

Yes, definitely. At the moment I’m aware of our (PHP) version, plus a load of other ports. As much as I hate quoting Wikipedia, it has a list of relevant parties in the external links section so that’s probably a good starting place.

Since Dean started it but is no longer active in its development I would think the next closest thing is the Textpattern community to drive it. This would probably mean the PHP version is the version from which all the others spawn copies, although I have noticed that some of the various implementations (including the one designated v2.1 in Python) sometimes have other features not present in the PHP version. Nothing we can do about that in the open source marketplace. If a port adds features, we can roll those into the PHP version if desired.

My initial guess was that structuring it with a central, top-level domain makes sense. I would guess Joyent can do it on the same server as all our other ‘corporate’ TLDs but your offer of hosting is appreciated and may be required, thanks. This main site should arguably be maintained by us and offer the up-to-date docs I mentioned in the weblog post. If the compatibility toolset, testing framework (both developer and user) and various other bits n bobs are there then we need to make it crystal clear which version the tests are targeting. Currently it’s the PHP version. Does that become the defacto version? Who knows. Nothing to stop us offering a dropdown of versions for user testing against if that’s the desired direction, but it would need agreement and management from all involved which may add delays to deployment of ports; something I’m keen to avoid.

If the central site simply lists all the ports and dives off to other 3rd party sites like the Wikipedia article does, then so be it. Alternatively we could subdomain it so the various implementing teams who have control over the port can put their own stuff on a branch of the root domain, perhaps listing differences to the PHP version and maybe linking to their individual repos for Issue tracking and downloads. I don’t know how best to approach it and welcome all avenues of exploration from those more experienced in such projects. If we need to open a new discussion topic here on the forum, then let’s do that.

My aim with the weblog article was to sound out people and find some folk who could put some initial energy into running with the ongoing development, documentation and site maintenance.

what do you envision as the future role of the core Txp devs in this project?

Once relevant interest has been attained and some decisions over where to house it have been ironed out, my guess is we’ll not be involved that much. I’ve had a reasonably intimate role in the release of v2.2 so could certainly continue, but I have a lot of other stuff I could be doing that would be more beneficial to the TXP community so I’d prefer if it could run without me. I’ll still be around of course and I’d like to help set stuff up and hone the toolsets; primarily to make it possible to add and edit tests in the framework from a web front end (currently it needs to be done in a file and uploaded to the server). After that it’s up to the community to manage. And if it’s on GitHub or something then anyone can contribute to its development.

The main reason for the testing framework that Steve developed — and why I’m so keen to push its use with whoever develops Textile (all versions) from now forwards — is because backwards compatibility should remain an important goal for Textile. A lot (and I mean that in the biggest sense of the word) of effort went into 2.2’s regression testing to be as sure as we can that it won’t break existing markup. In addition to Steve’s framework, Ruud wrote some awesome code that allowed us to quickly run the new Textile against our existing TXP articles and diff the results to test it on ‘real world’ articles. That highlighted some areas of weakness in the framework (which we built into later tests) and showed up a bug or three in Textile, the squashing of which helped make v2.2 what it is.

To put it bluntly, we can’t afford to add the sort of delays we witnessed in regression testing (which was mostly my fault) to hamper TXP’s development — we have a big enough hurdle bringing TXP 5 to the world! So taking our focus away from Textile will allow us to do that more effectively and allow Textile to grow as a tool that TXP merely uses, independently and concurrently.

Are there questions of copyright to deal with? Is anybody in contact with Dean these days?

Dunno and Not to my knowledge, in that order. It’s open source and it’s BSD-licensed so, afaict, nothing precludes us from developing it further. Dean’s name will forever be synonymous with its inception and will always, rightfully, be in the header of the file. If anybody has anything further on this topic, speak now!

Last edited by Bloke (2010-10-03 21:38:48)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#42 2010-10-03 22:06:07

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Mmmm. Probably going to ramble on a bit here.

Just how separate from textpattern.com do we want it? I mean the two are inextricably linked together by Dean aren’t they? He developed both of them, albeit separately, but never-the-less they were intended to work together.

I ask because if Textile has it’s own site do we want to link it with the Txp logo similar to textpattern.com and Textgarden? If so I’m sure belippe would come up with one for us. If we continue down that same train of thought do we want the site design to be similar as well allowing for changes to encompass the specific content?

Looking after Textile itself is way off my radar. I don’t have the types of coding skills required. I would certainly be happy to code up the site and maintain it thereafter provided someone does the design (unless we follow the existing design of Textgarden and textpattern.com in which case I know exactly what I’m doing).

Still, I think the first thing needed is the domain name. The rest should follow.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#43 2010-10-03 22:35:11

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

thebombsite wrote:

I ask because if Textile has it’s own site do we want to link it with the Txp logo similar to textpattern.com and Textgarden? If so I’m sure belippe would come up with one for us. If we continue down that same train of thought do we want the site design to be similar as well allowing for changes to encompass the specific content?

If the project becomes seperate, in my opinion it should have no links with Textpattern what so ever. Nothing about Textpattern, no shared design. The site would be about Textile and the various implementions. At most Textpattern would appear in the Projects/Software that use Textile list.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-10-03 22:45:12)

#44 2010-10-03 22:50:42

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

As Stef noted in the textpattern blog, I’m ok with plugging away at textile PHP development itself. I have the user ‘textile’ reserved & ready to roll out on Github if needed. In the meantime I am pushing changes to my own textile project on github where I’m working on a few loose ends (multiple notelists, support for markup within non-English quotation marks and also rel attributes for links.)

There are some interesting areas coming up for textile soon — HTML5 & localization to mention two obvious ones.

Regarding a site for Textile: Most of the TLDs using just ‘textile’ are taken by textile manufacturers so finding the right name would be important. To complicate matters is the issue of ‘textile-the-lightweight-markup-language’ (as a standard or reference markup) vs ‘textile-the-PHP-implementation-from-Textpattern’. We only really need a site that can handle the latter to allow TXP and Txt-php to part company, though a more generic TLD would allow us to offer it as a home to other implementations (however vaguely at first) should those folks wish to make use of the site’s services.

thebombsite wrote:

Just how separate from textpattern.com do we want it? I mean the two are inextricably linked together by Dean aren’t they? He developed both of them, albeit separately, but never-the-less they were intended to work together.

I doubt they are inextricably linked. Linked, yes, by original creator and the way that textile is called — but not inextricably.
They’ll also continue to work together even when ‘separated’. Textile is a lightweight markup language that is used internally by Textpattern along with two other conversions (nl2br and ‘leave text untouched’) that let you transform the source text of articles into XHTML that is stored internally. Just because it’s developed ‘out of house’ shouldn’t stop it being used inside Textpattern.

Bloke wrote:

I’ve had a reasonably intimate role in the release of v2.2 … but I have a lot of other stuff I could be doing that would be more beneficial to the TXP community so I’d prefer if it could run without me.

Exactly. Allowing the two to part company will allow both to develop at a faster pace i.m.o.

Steve

#45 2010-10-04 17:39:46

keith
Website

and also rel attributes for links

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

At last..!

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#46 2010-11-24 22:45:04

lifeJam
Website

and also rel attributes for links

Yes! Yes! Yes! (jumping in excitement)

And for images too:

!{mystyle}(class#id)/images/myimage.jpg<myrel>(mytitle)!:http://myurl.com

And the most missed feature: same attributes for link aliases as for links and images!
This has been done in Wordpress plugin like 3 year ago:

"my link":alias

[{style}(class#id)alias<rel>(title)]http://myurl.com

That would be … Awesome!

Last edited by lifeJam (2010-11-24 22:46:08)

‘innocence is no excuse’ – Saxon
mobileWarp | cureAnxietyPanic

#47 2011-01-09 05:25:15

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Folks

I’ve finally got around to pushing a feature-test branch for the rel attributes.

NB: This is test code, do not deploy it on a live site.

You can find the goodies at https://github.com/netcarver/textile/tree/feature-rel-attributes. Please leave your feedback in the github issue tracker against issue 2.

The format I’ve gone with is to use curly braces rather than the rather overloaded ‘<’ & ‘>’ wraps that people have quoted. Anyway, this commit summarizes my proposed format for links and images.

Make sure you pull the code from the feature-rel-attributes branch and remember — this is for testing only.

Steve

#48 2011-03-02 00:59:45

skrishi
Website

Good afternoon.
I have a question.
I have a website community, and it has a free registration. Everyone who registers can submit an article. Since I can not have a computer a week or a month, I let the right to publish the article. But today I noticed the vulnerability of the system: any user can insert a script into the body of the article. The system could not verify this. A script can carry harmful functions.
I went to http://textile.sitemonks.com/ and tried. Yahoo! He does not give me introduce <script type="text/javascript"> bad code </ script> .
But after the upgrade classTextile.php problem persists. I can print any script.
In addition, I would like that would be impossible to use txp tags in articles, because that person who knows and wants to hurt textpattern can use it.
Maybe I’m not there to dig?

I understand that many users need the function insert script and txp tags. Can do then is the ability to configure it in Admin -> Preferences -> Advanced.
Or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for clarification.
I apologize for the poor knowledge of English.

Board footer