Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#217 2013-05-15 17:53:46

joebaich
Website

Re: smd_thumbnail: manage multiple thumbnails of your images

Dashing off here but

Grid = grid ?

Last edited by joebaich (2013-05-15 17:54:33)

#218 2013-05-15 18:02:18

rossharvey
Website

Edit: that was a typo in the code block, all references in the live system are to Grid. Still not working.

Any ideas? Brick wall!

Last edited by rossharvey (2013-05-16 18:02:22)

#219 2013-05-17 09:53:59

rossharvey
Website

Anyone? :(

#220 2013-06-10 12:16:56

ralf
Website

Hi Stef,

there is a problem with the plug-in regarding the rss feed. Obviously, the <txp:smd_thumbnail> tag remains as a tag and will not be transformed to HTML when the feed gets build. Of course, a feed reader doesn’t understand the tag and no thumbnail will be displayed. Not too sad, as long as thumbnails are not important, but posts consisting mainly of a thumbnail gallery appear a bit too empty ;-)

Any suggestions how to solve that problem? (I use TXP 4.5.4 and smd_thumbnail 0.30 – beside the feed problem everyhing works phantastic.)

Thanks, Ralf

#221 2013-06-10 13:16:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

rossharvey wrote:

Anyone? :(

Hi Ross, I don’t use this plugin but would the name be conflicting the article category name?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#222 2013-06-10 13:18:45

colak
Admin

ralf wrote:

there is a problem with the plug-in regarding the rss feed. Obviously, the <txp:smd_thumbnail> tag remains as a tag and will not be transformed to HTML when the feed gets build. Of course, a feed reader doesn’t understand the tag and no thumbnail will be displayed. Not too sad, as long as thumbnails are not important, but posts consisting mainly of a thumbnail gallery appear a bit too empty ;-)

In theory the plugin should be parsed in the feed if you are using it in the article or the excerpt feeds. Can you post a url?

Yiannis
——————————

#223 2013-06-10 14:06:41

ralf
Website

Hi Yiannis,

sure, the site is here (the feed has a trailing /rss at the end, but it looks as if I’m not allowed to use more than one link).

The latest post features 15 thumbnails in a gallery that show the described problem. Feed validators congratulate to a valid feed, but suggest to improve line 14 ff:

line 14, column 0: Non-html tag: txp:smd_thumbnail (15 occurrences)

Ralf

Last edited by ralf (2013-06-10 14:08:15)

#224 2013-06-15 11:22:22

ralf
Website

Okay, nothing seems to happen anymore in this case. Let’s try it the other way: is somebody out there, who uses smd_thumbnail and can confirm appearing (plugin generated) thumbnails in his or her own feed? Or is it theory only?

Thanks
Ralf

#225 2013-06-15 12:46:49

colak
Admin

Hi Ralf

I am looking at your site. There seems to be something wrong as the feeds should be on http://www.achtelmond.de/rss/ and http://www.achtelmond.de/atom/ with a trailing slash.

I am using NetNewsWire and all looks fine without any problems.

Yiannis
——————————

#226 2013-06-15 12:50:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ralf

Sorry for not answering sooner. Like colak says, tags are supposed to be parsed in the feeds. I tried a simple test on my own site and the thumbnails show up in the feed as long as I set the preference to serve body text instead of just excerpts.

Quite why your page is showing raw tags I don’t know offhand. What code are you using to display the thumbnails?

A few avenues of things to try, sorry if you’ve been down them all already:

• Try replacing the txp:smd_thumbnail with a txp:thumbnail and see if it renders. My plugin is supposed to be a drop in replacement for that tag as long as you have a default profile set up (otherwise you need to use the type attribute)
  • Is your code in a Form or is it embedded directly in the article?
  • If it’s in the article directly, check that Textile is not getting in the way by temporarily setting the body to Leave text untouched.
  • Are you wrapping your <txp:smd_thumbnail> tag with <txp:images>?

Feel free to post more details here and someone will try and help you in a more timely fashion.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-06-15 12:51:06)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#227 2013-06-15 17:26:15

ralf
Website

Thanks Stef,

your to do list made the problem a nice portion clearer. I use the smd_thumbnail tag in a form, the code is quite simple:

<a class="zoom" rel="lightbox-<txp:article_id />" href="{url}"><txp:smd_thumbnail type="<txp:variable name="thumb" />" force_size="width,height" id="{id}" /></a>

As i wish to decide which type to use on an gallery base, in the article I write the wanted type in an a txp:variable and pass it to the form like this:

<txp:variable name="thumb" value="small" />

<txp:smd_gallery id="1, 2, 3, 4, n" form="smd_gal" countform="{totalimages}:smd_gal_foot:smd_below" />

In this example, the thumbnail type is small and exactly that method seems to cause the feed problem. When I use <txp:smd_thumbnail type="<txp:variable name="thumb" /> all thumbns will bei rendered perfectly in HTML but not parsed in the feed, whem I use <txp:smd_thumbnail type="small" /> instead, both HTML and the feed thumbs are fine.

So one workaround could be to have a form for every thumbnail type and stop using the type-variable. As I use quite a few sizes, this doesn’t look like a very intelligent solution ;-)

colak wrote:

I am using NetNewsWire and all looks fine without any problems.

Yiannis,

that’s weird. I tried Vienna, Safari and Feedburner, none of them shows thumbnails. As the feed’s source code ist not the reader’s business, I don’t understand where your Netnewsnwire is getting the correct source code from? But anyway: thank you for checking it.

#228 2013-06-15 19:34:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ralf

Would you please just humour me a moment and change your form to use single quotes around smd_thumbnail’s type attribute:

<a class="zoom" rel="lightbox-<txp:article_id />" href="{url}"><txp:smd_thumbnail type='<txp:variable name="thumb" />' force_size="width,height" id="{id}" /></a>

It’s a long shot but it might be interpreted differently in the feed than it is in the article. Any time you use tags in tag attributes you should use single quotes around the tag so the parser knows to treat it as executable content instead of static text. Depending on the complexity of the page/tags it sometimes works with double quotes.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-06-15 19:38:12)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer