Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2010-07-05 01:21:58

Gocom
Developer
Registered: 2006-07-14
Posts: 4,476
Website

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

redbot wrote:

Thanks again for the help.

No problem :-)

I think that’s because you were thinking this was an admin+client plugin while it actually is admin only.

No, I really didn’t. I did it because it doesn’t matter, and that nothing gets output before the plugin call.

As far the txpinterface call, if you set your plugin type to Admin only (3), you need the conditional block and the plugin won’t be loaded on the frontend. Admin only plugin’s were introduced in TXP 4.0.7.


Rah-plugins | What? I’m a little confused… again :-) <txp:is_god />

Offline

#32 2010-07-05 08:48:56

redbot
Plugin Author
Registered: 2006-02-14
Posts: 1,399

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

redbot wrote:

… I moved the call to bot_image_img() inside if(txpinterface == 'admin') and changed links in css accordingly.
I think that’s because you were thinking this was an admin+client plugin while it actually is admin only.

Gocom wrote:

…No, I really didn’t. I did it because it doesn’t matter, and that nothing gets output before the plugin call.

Ok sorry I wasn’t clear at all. I just wanted to point out that I had to change all images path in the css you suggested from:

background: url("'.hu.'?bot_image_img=delete") top center no-repeat;

to:

background: url("'.hu.'textpattern?bot_image_img=delete") top center no-repeat;

because – still I don’t understand why – the former doesn’t work.

Offline

#33 2010-09-11 01:41:04

jelle
Member
Registered: 2006-06-07
Posts: 165

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

Great plugin…any chance for multiple image support anytime soon?

Offline

#34 2010-09-11 12:19:32

redbot
Plugin Author
Registered: 2006-02-14
Posts: 1,399

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

jelle wrote:

Great plugin…any chance for multiple image support anytime soon?

Hi jelle,
I think sooner or later I’ll need to add this functionality for some project.
The problem is that, while it is relatively easy to do for a specific site it must be planned very well to become a more generic plugin.
There are a lot of variables too keep into account (use a custom field or the “article image” field? how and where to display thumbnails – there is a big difference between displaying two thumbnails or 50? etc).
Other than that I’m just too busy with other issues these days so I’m not very focused on plugins.
Anyway – I’m making no promises here – I think I’ll try to do it when I’ll find some free time and motivation, ok?

Last edited by redbot (2010-09-11 12:20:07)

Offline

#35 2010-09-12 14:58:16

jelle
Member
Registered: 2006-06-07
Posts: 165

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

hi rb,

thanks for your answers. I do understand the issues that arise when making such a plugin. personally I don’t like how images and files are handled on the backend. Your bot_image_upload and bot_file_upload a great but still not exactly what I want. I’m hacking my way with bot_file_upload to have it integrated into the write page instead of a pop-up. Looking for the same for images. Maybe I’ll just dive into the code bot_image_upload and see what I can come up with.

redbot wrote:

There are a lot of variables too keep into account (use a custom field or the “article image” field?

hm, I think I’d stick to using an the article image field for compability with other plugins (hak_article_image for example) or when the bot_image_upload itself is removed/disabled.

thanks again.

Offline

#36 2010-11-15 12:09:18

jens31
Plugin Author
From: munich / dtschermani
Registered: 2008-08-25
Posts: 183
Website

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

yup. sounds like a very kool plug-in.
and same with me, i also want the support for multiple images..
in fact i landed here because i want to show all (like 50..) article images in the write tab..

i do understand the motivation thing, so what do you want from us..? name your price ;)

Offline

#37 2010-11-15 13:25:31

aswihart
Member
From: Pittsburgh, PA
Registered: 2006-07-22
Posts: 345
Website

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

BUMP

A multi-upload, multi-thumbnail display from the Write tab would be a real game changer for article image management in Textpattern, and if it isn’t in the works for part of the core program, please redbot, consider adding it to your plugin. I would be happy to pay tribute.

Your plugin shows great promise, but for me, the current ability to upload and display one image per article is just not that useful, although it does provide some nice eye-candy for the back end.

Last edited by aswihart (2010-11-15 13:44:54)

Offline

#38 2010-11-15 16:54:50

redbot
Plugin Author
Registered: 2006-02-14
Posts: 1,399

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

jens31 wrote:

…in fact i landed here because i want to show all (like 50..) article images in the write tab..

aswihart:

… A multi-upload, multi-thumbnail display from the Write tab would be a real game changer for article image management in Textpattern….

Ok then. You have got to help me now ;-)
Given that an article can have one image or 100 images, could you tell me how would you manage them from a visual perspective?

I suppose if there are 100 images you’ll need to show very little thumbnails, otherwise if there is only one (or two, ore three?) image/s you’ll need a bigger thumbnail. How would you deal with it? Or – Just thinking aloud – probably this problem would be overcome by moving the article-image thumbnail/s altogether in the central column, say after the “body” field.

Any suggestions? What do you say?

P.S.
As for multiple upload you can use jbx_multiple_image_upload. By default it is hidden from bot_img but it can be shown with a minimal mod, just ask me in case

Offline

#39 2010-11-15 17:01:31

Bloke
Developer
From: Leeds, UK
Registered: 2006-01-29
Posts: 6,000
Website

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

redbot wrote:

Given that an article can have one image or 100 images, could you tell me how would you manage them from a visual perspective?

fwiw, this is precisely why we have never (and likely won’t) offer this sort of thing in the core by default: the number of options and potential variations in user input, configuration, desires, etc would mean that someone is always unsatisfied. From the core’s perspective it is far better to offer the lowest common denominator (a textbox for a single image to be attached by ID) and then let plugins customise it from there to suit the individual application.

Sorry to hijack your thread redbot; I feel your pain as I’ve not yet reconciled how to do it best from the myriad options available without tying myself in coding knots trying to suit everyone! Hope you can figure something out, though.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-11-15 17:02:46)


The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Offline

#40 2010-11-15 17:07:29

redbot
Plugin Author
Registered: 2006-02-14
Posts: 1,399

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

Bloke wrote:

…Sorry to hijack your thread redbot; I feel your pain as I’ve not yet reconciled how to do it best from the myriad options available without tying myself in coding knots trying to suit everyone! Hope you can figure something out, though.

Hi Bloke,
thank you for these words, I really appreciate your solidariety ;-)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB