Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-06-01 03:56:34

growtrees
Website

Problems Restoring TXP Content To New Host

I recently switched hosts and had used the phpMyAdmin function to back up my TXP entries. I imported my SQL file successfully but now I’m a bit clueless on how I actually go about getting my old entries/images to show up when I log into my newly installed TXP.

I feel as though there’s a step that I’m missing but am not entirely sure on what it is exactly.
I’m always confused by the inner workings of this stuff and am completely hopeless.

Thanks.

#2 2010-06-01 06:31:12

els

Re: Problems Restoring TXP Content To New Host

Did you follow this tutorial: Moving Installation from one Host to Another in Textbook? Let us know at which point it doesn’t work as expected.

#3 2010-06-02 03:18:05

growtrees
Website

Yes this is the tutorial I was following. The step I may be tripping over is as follows:

1) Upload your entire Textpattern tree (yourdomain.com/textpattern) and the default.php & .htaccess files to your new server via FTP.

I realize now that rather thoughtlessly I didn’t export my whole textpattern folder from my old server onto my computer before I transferred over. I guess for some reason I didn’t really think that those files in the TXP folder changed. I know I don’t have my .htaccess files from my old server so this may be the problem.
Is the cause completely hopeless?

I updated all the new values in my config.php file though.

#4 2010-06-02 07:09:49

els

If .htaccess is the only file missing, you can create a new one and upload it to the root of your site (not in the ‘textpattern’ folder). This is the default content of .htaccess:

#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	RewriteEngine On
	#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
	RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
	RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
	RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

If you didn’t make any changes to the old file this will likely solve your problem.

#5 2010-06-04 05:18:14

growtrees
Website

I uploaded this file and still nothing. I’m starting to think that my problem is the fact I upgraded from my old textpattern that I was using when I exported to the latest version. Yet when I go to re-install the old version I get an 500 internal server error and I can’t view any of the setup pages. The newer version works yet the older version does not.

From reading textpattern FAQs this 500 erro can occur from having the .htaccess file which provides clean urls and to simply delete it. Yet now that I’ve uploaded the file I can’t see it anymore because of the file name starting with a “.” I went into my File Manager to delete the invisible file and there’s still no change.

Sorry I’m having all kinds of issues with this.

Last edited by growtrees (2010-06-04 05:38:18)

#6 2010-06-04 08:06:14

els

If you don’t have the .htaccess file, you need to set your permanent link mode to ‘messy’ (Admin > Preferences). Does your site work again if you do that?

#7 2010-06-05 19:18:22

growtrees
Website

The thing is when I can’t even install the old version of Textpattern to get to the Admin page to change the settings. When I try to go the the setup page I just get that error.
The newer version installs fine but I can’t get my old content to sync with it it seems.

#8 2010-06-05 19:46:13

els

growtrees wrote:

When I try to go the the setup page I just get that error.

Can you post the exact error please? And when exactly does it happen? Which Txp version were you using before the move?

Last edited by els (2010-06-05 19:49:01)

#9 2010-06-05 19:50:29

growtrees
Website

This is what shows up. Hopefully you can even read that.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/robotdomain/error.png

Last edited by growtrees (2010-06-05 19:51:13)

#10 2010-06-05 20:11:25

els

Yeah I can read that ;) What URL (page) are you trying to reach when you get the internal server error?

Edit: oh never mind, it’s in the image too.

I think it’s best to remove all the files from the server en re-install Textpattern. Do you still have the installation files of the version you were previously using? (Which version was that?) It would be best to import your database in that version, and only upgrade if/when everything works as before.

Last edited by els (2010-06-05 20:19:35)

#11 2010-06-06 15:58:08

growtrees
Website

Yeah I’ll try that out and see what happens. I don’t know why I’m having so much trouble with this. I do still have the old installation files and it was version 4.0.6 that I was using on my old server. I just can’t figure out for the life of me why I can’t even install the files.

#12 2010-06-06 19:33:41

masa

growtrees wrote:

I do still have the old installation files and it was version 4.0.6 that I was using on my old server.

Can you still access the old server?

It’s very important that you grab all the contents of the images and files directories too from the old server or an up-to-date backup. Once you have that all in place, transfer every bit onto the new server and reimport your database’s contents.

Leave updating txp for later.

Last edited by masa (2010-06-06 19:34:12)

Board footer