Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-04-25 13:22:48

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Re: Categories choice linked to section choice - backend

JimJoe wrote:

yes, that would work.

So here is another link, this one use php mysql for the data.
maybe it will help any plugin author here to start from ;)

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2010-04-25 13:23:25)

#14 2010-04-25 18:41:06

JimJoe
Website

Hopefully a plugin author will turn that into a plugin so I can improve my site.

#15 2010-09-16 19:36:35

PascalL
Website

Yes, it is indeed. To demonstrate here is a short and raw plugin that should do what you want. Of course it has no interface and you must configure it directly in the plugins code.
If you want to try just install it, press ‘edit’ in the ‘plugin’ tab and modify the lines under ‘configuration’.

redbot, this is really a must ! are you going to develop this plugin further, or at least publish it officially in its state ? (configuration is not that hard) Has I not found it by chance, where would I be now?

Thanks !

Pascal

Last edited by PascalL (2010-09-16 19:39:13)

#16 2010-09-17 02:23:19

redbot
Plugin Author

PascalL wrote:

redbot, this is really a must ! are you going to develop this plugin further, or at least publish it officially in its state ? (configuration is not that hard) Has I not found it by chance, where would I be now?

Hi Pascal,
actually I totally forgot about this plugin. I just recalled something after reading this request yesterday. And no, I never published it officially.
Anyway I’m glad someone found it useful, thanks!

P.S. I don’t think I’m going to develop this further, as far as I remember it should just do what it claims. Besides -just out of curiosity – do you have some special needs?

#17 2010-09-17 08:44:43

PascalL
Website

I don’t think I’m going to develop this further, as far as I remember it should just do what it claims. Besides -just out of curiosity – do you have some special needs?

Indeed, the plugin does it, and well ! I only see one possible added fonctionality: the ability to list included categories instead of excluded ones.

Much more important to me is your plugin visibility : please, would you consider to publish it on textpattern.org instead of just pasting it inside this thread ?

I always regret this functionality was missing. In a website with many categories, and clearly differentiated sections, having one category list which covers all sections can be more than ennoying. I usually find myself restrain the use of categories for non-cross website (i.e section limited) “labels”, and use custom fields instead. In fact, you plugin, as simple as it is, expands the domain of categories’ possible uses.

Thanks !

#18 2010-09-17 10:24:26

redbot
Plugin Author

Er… it’s embarrassing but I just had a quick glance at the plugin and I found it difficult to understand my own code! I should try again when I’m more focused (I’m at work now). Anyways…

PascalL wrote:

Indeed, the plugin does it, and well ! I only see one possible added fonctionality: the ability to list included categories instead of excluded ones.

Yes I think it is doable but I wonder if its worthwhile the effort. I’ll think about it.

Much more important to me is your plugin visibility : please, would you consider to publish it on textpattern.org instead of just pasting it inside this thread ?

Mmm… yes maybe you are right, the fact is I wrote this quickly to answer to a request in the the forum so probably it could be coded better. I’ll publish it as soon as I’ll have the opportunity to check it again, ok?

I always regret this functionality was missing. In a website with many categories, and clearly differentiated sections, having one category list which covers all sections can be more than ennoying.

Agree, the only thing I always missed from txp are subsections

I usually find myself restrain the use of categories for non-cross website (i.e section limited) “labels”, and use custom fields instead.

Me too. That’s why I wrote my other (more complex) plugin bot_write_tab_customize – which can be useful – expecially if used with glz_custom_fields

#19 2010-09-18 15:48:58

JimJoe
Website

Any update ? Thanks.

#20 2010-09-19 12:28:57

redbot
Plugin Author

JimJoe wrote:

Any update ? Thanks.

No sorry, I don’t think it will happen soon, I’m too busy.
Anyways – as said before – the plugin should work ok in its actual state.

#21 2010-09-19 14:38:16

JimJoe
Website

So, section 1 would be the state name, and section 2 are the town names ?

#22 2010-09-19 14:58:35

PascalL
Website

JimJoe wrote:

So, section 1 would be the state name, and section 2 are the town names ?

Section are listed in the Presentation>Sections tab.
It seems you didn’t really organise the content of your site with sections, it seems you only have one section: “articles”.
As it is, Redbot’s plugin might not be very useful to you.

#23 2010-09-19 15:06:05

JimJoe
Website

So if I made states a section and towns a section, it would work ?

#24 2010-09-19 15:08:11

PascalL
Website

Mmm… yes maybe you are right, the fact is I wrote this quickly to answer to a request in the the forum so probably it could be coded better. I’ll publish it as soon as I’ll have the opportunity to check it again, ok?

Great ! Thanks in advance !

Me too. That’s why I wrote my other (more complex) plugin bot_write_tab_customize – which can be useful – expecially if used with glz_custom_fields

I’m a happy user of both !

Cheers!
Pascal

Last edited by PascalL (2010-09-19 15:08:28)

Board footer