Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2011-02-19 12:42:47

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Re: TXP Tweet: arc_twitter and arc_twitter_intents

Just been doing a couple of quick checks to see if I can recreate the issues being experienced by Zeus and ashground and can confirm that I’m getting the same issue. As Phil has suggested the problem seems to lie with Textpattern’s core rather than arc_twitter. The method being used by arc_twitter is the one used by TXP to build the permlink.

If I set the ‘URL-only-title’ field before a URL title has been generated and save, then the TinyURL will also be wrong; but so is the TXP ‘View’ link next to the title! It seems that Textpattern isn’t observing its own rules here.

ashground wrote:

I’d rather not have to double-check the URL field every single time I post an article. Here’s a quick, albeit untested, hack to fix it:

Find this:

$url = permlinkurl($article);

and replace it with this:

$url = permlinkurl(str_replace("'", "-", $article));

I’ve given ashground’s suggestion a quick test and it does fix the particular issue arising from apostrophes, but not other issues around respecting the URL only title. Perhaps one of Textpattern’s core developers could shed some light on why permlinkurl doesn’t work in the article edit screen so that a more robust fix can be added to the plugin, and sort the ‘View’ link out.

@Zeus, I’ve been testing this in the current dev version and I’m afraid it doesn’t fix this as explained above. However, I am planning on getting a new release out some time this weekend that you will be able to try. Most of the new features are to do with extra TXP tags to play with, like a new Tweet button.

#146 2011-03-03 18:04:36

vurt

If arc_twitter is set to publish automatically will it publish if an article is first saved in draft mode? And then publish when the article is made live?

#147 2011-03-03 18:51:37

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

vurt wrote:

If arc_twitter is set to publish automatically will it publish if an article is first saved in draft mode? And then publish when the article is made live?

Currently no. When you’re ready to update your Twitter account you need to make sure that “Update Twitter” is set to yes and then save your article in a published state.

I’ve added it as a “feature request” to the plugin’s issue tracker on Github. There is a fair amount of code changes required to make this happen so no guarantees when this feature will get added.

#148 2011-03-03 20:14:37

vurt

OK, so I can work on an article draft, and if “Update Twitter” has been set to “Yes” all along, then it will publish to twitter only when the article goes live.

Is that correct?

#149 2011-03-03 20:47:16

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

vurt wrote:

OK, so I can work on an article draft, and if “Update Twitter” has been set to “Yes” all along, then it will publish to twitter only when the article goes live.

Is that correct?

No. Sorry, but when you are ready to post to Twitter you have to select “Yes” update Twitter. After the first save of the article, if Twitter is not updated the radio buttons switch to “no”. As I said in the last post, this may change in a future release but will require a bit of work to get it to do this.

#150 2011-03-03 21:40:45

maverick
Website

vurt – are you wanting to make sure it will not inadvertently publish a draft article if it is set to yes?

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-03 21:41:10)

#151 2011-03-04 17:35:39

vurt

Yes exactly. Will it?

#152 2011-03-15 08:56:08

jstubbs
Website

Andy, I am getting a badly formed code error with the latest Beta v.2 version from your site – do you have a compressed copy?

#153 2011-03-15 12:36:27

maverick
Website

maverick wrote:

vurt – are you wanting to make sure it will not inadvertently publish a draft article if it is set to yes?

vurt wrote:

Yes exactly. Will it?

It should not automatically publish to twitter unless the article is set to “live”, and it is the first time you have saved it as “live”. arc_twitter really is a well designed plugin. Another well thought out aspect of its design: it will automatically turn the auto-post to “off” after your tweet has been posted.

What monkeyninja was picking up on in your original post is that if you:

1. have arc_twitter set to “yes” for automatically posting,
  2. save as a draft,
  3. arc_twitter is now set to “off” even though you have not posted your tweet yet.

He’s going to try to fix it so it doesn’t turn itself “off” until you set your article to “live” and the tweet is posted.

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-15 12:38:59)

#154 2011-03-15 14:45:35

vurt

Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed a great plugin. I especially like that it displays the tweet in the write panel.

#155 2011-03-17 20:47:12

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Andy, I am getting a badly formed code error with the latest Beta v.2 version from your site – do you have a compressed copy?

Um, I think we’ve been here before haven’t we? Try this compressed version instead. If that fails you could always grab the source code from github and try compiling it yourself. Hope the file works first anyway.

@maverick and vurt: thanks for your comments about the plugin. It is good to know that people are enjoying it.

#156 2011-03-17 20:58:43

maverick
Website

monkeyninja wrote:

@maverick and vurt: thanks for your comments about the plugin. It is good to know that people are enjoying it.

:)

I have one site running on Expression Engine. I have a twitter plugin installed on it as well. It drives me nuts. It always is on – even after you have published and tweeted. So if you are saving a draft, or editing after the fact, and don’t want to tweet you have to remember to turn it off. Every. Single. Time.

It only makes my experience with arc_twitter all the more sweet.

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-17 20:59:28)

Board footer