Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2009-11-10 19:35:16

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textgarden V2 Goes Live

I just noticed that the “comment pointer image” often appears inside the left column if the content of the article isn’t very long. (At least in IE7)

Last edited by MattD (2009-11-10 19:35:41)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#32 2009-11-10 21:43:38

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Actually Matt, I didn’t think it was showing at all in IE6 or IE7 which is why I mentioned that it should work fine but there might be little details missing, like you have no search button. I’ll look at it again. Also check out the “What is this all about” section for more information about the site and themes. This will no doubt get added to over time. Thanks.

As for more blogs, yes I know, I thought exactly the same thing myself. Of course if others want to get their pens out I will quite happily add their articles if appropriate. It is a “community” site you know. I’m only the manager. I shall naturally be very strict of course. ;)

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-11-10 21:49:00)

Stuart – The BombsiteProText ThemesTextgarden

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#33 2009-11-10 22:37:45

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I like the light blue links. I notice you took down the yellow stripe— how would you feel about using Textpattern’s yellow as a background color of the #topbar element, using a brown for the contained text? I checked this in Firebug, and it looked like a line of experimentation worth trying, even if it doesn’t lead to anything you want to publish.

#34 2009-11-10 22:47:13

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Yes I took the yellow bar out. Doesn’t fit in my opinion. Wrong colour and it adds “weight”. At the moment there are still minor changes going on with textpattern.com V2 which I have just reflected in Textgarden. The font sizes in the top_nav have been reduced plus we have swapped images in the sidebar links. Anyway I’m just trying to keep things tied together. As I mentioned earlier there will be parity in design between all the sites and I can assure you that there will be no yellow bar or brown in textpattern.com so that would mean a “no” for Textgarden as well at the moment. But I shall have a look at your suggestions in my XAMPP version.

But we shall soon see.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-11-10 22:48:41)

#35 2009-11-10 23:03:57

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Cool! Obviously, I haven’t seen Matthew’s designs for Textpattern.com— and I’m pretty excited to see this coming along.

I agree about the “weight” issue. The yellow strip yesterday seemed arbitrary, rather than integral to the design.

#36 2009-11-10 23:16:22

Bloke
Developer
Website

thebombsite wrote:

I can assure you that there will be no yellow bar or brown in textpattern.com

Sorry for the mild OT but do you think this means the admin interface is also going to lose its yellow tint to fit in with the new branding? Would seem a little odd to have blue everywhere as the ‘corporate’ theme and then a predominantly yellow product with no blue in sight.

If not, I would argue some splashes of yellow besides the buttons would help maintain some consistency between the CMS and our outward-facing brand identity (I realise admin themes blur the line significantly here).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#37 2009-11-10 23:20:14

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

No problem John. As far as I am aware we have one problem to sort out which is the “sponsored link” that you can see in the right sidebar of the current textpattern.com, like where the hell do we put it! Then as far as I am aware the transition should start. How long that takes I don’t know. It’s pretty much down to Robert (wet). I’m quite happy to help him with that though he hasn’t mentioned wanting help yet. ;)

MattD – does that fix the comment image problem for you?

#38 2009-11-10 23:25:23

Neko

thebombsite wrote:

Yes I took the yellow bar out. Doesn’t fit in my opinion. Wrong colour and it adds “weight”.

I thought it was cool. :(

I can assure you that there will be no yellow bar or brown in textpattern.com so that would mean a “no” for Textgarden as well at the moment.

I don’t understand. There won’t be a yellow bar or won’t be yellow at all?

Thanks.

#39 2009-11-10 23:26:31

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Having no inside knowledge of the TXP redesign process, I can only guess at the priority of various communication goals and their weight on salient decisions— and I trust you guys are thinking things through.

But I would say that the yellow stripe is much more suggestive of the Textpattern identity than the carver or other discarded elements. This line from an old design critique put it well, in my opinion: “From Textpattern: Too much information can overload the reader, and a brand can be created using a single line of colour.”

On the other hand, I think the redesign is in capable hands, and I can’t wait to see it unfold.

#40 2009-11-10 23:31:46

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Stef – You’ll have to argue that point when the other site goes live. For my own part, particularly as we now have user-chosen admin themes available I’m not sure that the link between “classic” and the overall Textpattern branding truly exists any more, especially if we ever get around to picking another admin theme to become a third default. I doubt there will be any yellow in it. As far as my own sites are concerned I have one of each of my “A Bit..” series themes running so I only see yellow on one site. Another is blue and another is black. If you check out the top 10 admin themes over at Textgarden you will see that only 2 of them have yellow in them. This fixation on yellow is what I would expect from pensioners wanting things the way they remember them. Whilst I haven’t quite reached that stage I am probably one of the “elder statesmen” around here and I’m seeing the youngsters emulating pensioners. Strange times we live in.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-11-10 23:33:30)

Board footer