Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2009-10-02 10:58:15

Phil_

Re: Detailed instructions on how to create a site with textpattern?

I’ve just read through most of this thread and have been struck by how difficult it is to help someone if they are just not willing to be helped. In particular if they are not willing to do a little bit themselves and RTFM.

Early on jsoo pointed to this excellent article.

Els pointed to another excellent page.

And hcgtv pointed to the excellent article by Destry Wion here

Perhaps there are too many words and not enough pictures in these articles.

Personally for my first Textpattern site I just installed the application on some web space, made a MySQL database and followed the on screen instructions. When I went clicked “View Site” I was surprised to see something so simple. I then went to Admin>>Preferences and changed the Site Name, Site slogan and site URL and went back to look at the page and the penny started to drop. Next I want over to Textgarden and snagged a template (theme) I liked the look of and did the copy paste thing with the components in the Presentation tab. Back to look at the site. Seeing that some bits were not working right taught me about plug-ins, again just cut and paste. Adding content is a piece of cake, I have a lady in her late 60s who runs a whole section of one of the sites I have with about one request for help every 6 months or so.

Now when I want to design a new site I usualy look for a theme that looks and works something similar to how I’m thinking and use it as a starting point. The last one however I designed in Dreamweaver and cut out the relevant components and replaced them with Textpattern tags, then pasted the finished template and CSS in the Presentation tab.

The point is that you have to be prepapred to do a bit of reading and do a bit of trial and error and once the panny drops Textpattern is easy.

Cheers

Phil

PS Having said that I personally think that an SQL database is way overkill form most sites and causes too much lag. I also would like to see a script that automativcally backs everything up on a periodic basis but I don’t have the ability to write such a script myself.

#62 2009-10-02 12:14:18

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Phil_ wrote:

PS Having said that I personally think that an SQL database is way overkill form most sites and causes too much lag. I also would like to see a script that automativcally backs everything up on a periodic basis but I don’t have the ability to write such a script myself.

hi Phil, there are scripts like that but unfortunately they work on a per server basis. All you need is to look into CRON scripts which easily back up MySQL databases on regular intervals, deleting anything older than the time you specify.

Alternatively check out rss_admin_db_manager which features an easy backup utility.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#63 2009-10-02 12:23:56

uli

Phil_ wrote:

I also would like to see a script that automativcally backs everything up on a periodic basis

Phil, are you on Mac or on Win?

Yannis, which speed pills did you take? ;))

Last edited by uli (2009-10-02 12:25:07)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#64 2009-10-02 12:33:27

Phil_

One day I hope to be half a cleaver as Rob Sable.

I’ve tried that plug-in before, at the time it didn’t work with 4.0.6. I’ve tried installing it in 4.2.0 and no new tabs appear.

Sorry to have bifurcated this thread. I’ll stop it right away.

Cheers

Phil

#65 2009-10-02 12:37:55

Phil_

I’ve started a new thread here

Cheers

Phil

#66 2009-10-02 16:19:38

els

I’m closing this topic as it has been straying from the subject into various other directions by now, some of which have been continued in other threads. It contains a lot of useful contributions though, thanks all!

Sarah, if you’re still following: thanks for your feedback and hopefully we didn’t make Txp feel like a CMS equivalent of Hotel California; though we’d like everyone to stick around, you’re still allowed to leave any time you want ;)

#67 2010-02-13 19:56:10

Destry
Website

Testing.

Oh, good. Don’t close yet, because I want to post. Hand tight, I’ll rewrite this post.

Never mind, go ahead and close. After writing, I don’t think it helps anything.

Last edited by Destry (2010-02-13 21:20:03)

Board footer