Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-09-27 22:52:25

sarah

Re: Detailed instructions on how to create a site with textpattern?

Thanks, but I can think for myself. I pretty much taught myself HTM/ CSS and a bit of java in a few months between work, by myself.

However, there were clear step by step instructions on the net on how to create a simple one page website using the above skills in order to master the skills.

Textpatttern tutorials don’t provide that. The easiest way to learn something is by doing, usually by completing a task. The rest I can handle.

It’s all very good having a great CMS, but if the tutorials are inadequate, and are just basic long winded essays, then many will flee to greener pastures.

#14 2009-09-27 22:56:21

sarah

Thanks hcgtv, but that didn’t help again.

Why no one has created a “This is how to create a one page website example” using textpattern is beyond me. I just about get the terminology- it’s the doing which makes no sense to me- and I pick up on things pretty clearly.

#15 2009-09-27 23:12:48

uli

along with the responses on the forum.

Huhh? Is there anything you don’t see through greasy glasses?

I (almost) never saw someone more delving into help, addressing to a “job definition”, as Jeff did here, esp. #7 is a complete beginners tut weren’t your conceptual formulation so concise sorry, marginal and blurry so he had to stop his compendium and ask you some questions.

Why no one has created a “This is how to create a one page website example” using textpattern is beyond me.

jsoo chewed your meal for you, #7.

Last edited by uli (2009-09-27 23:16:47)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#16 2009-09-27 23:18:04

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

sarah wrote:

Why no one has created a “This is how to create a one page website example” using textpattern is beyond me.

Ok, here goes:

1. Go into Presentation/Pages, and paste your HTML into the default page.
2. Replace the link to your stylesheet with <txp:css format=“link” />.
3. Go into Presentation/Style, paste your CSS into the default style.
4. Click view site.

#17 2009-09-27 23:28:40

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

How does one take still pictures with a video camera? I don’t know, what would be the point?

For me, the biggest hurdle to transitioning from making traditional (static) sites to making Txp sites was not what I had to learn, it was what I had to unlearn. Building CMS sites requires experience in traditional web skills, but those skills also tend to engender a particular concept of what a website is. Transferring that concept to a CMS site is just making extra work without getting the benefits.

I agree that Txp’s documentation could be better, although lumping it all as “inadequate, long-winded essays” doesn’t fit the reality. Some of those long-winded essays are excellent, particularly Destry’s …

Code is topiary

#18 2009-09-28 04:19:14

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Sarah, did you install txp anywhere?

If you didn’t it’ll be like learning to drive from a manual. If you know html which you say you do, learning txp will not be that difficult. You can initially install it in your own computer using MAMP or WAMP (depending on what OS you’re using) and play with it. Alternatively you caninstall it in a subdirectory in your site where people from this forum will be able to guide you through.

CMSs do not come with the kind of tutorials you are looking for but they come with great communities. Amd you will find that the txp one is one of the most helpful out there.

Install txp and we’ll be here to answer any specific questions.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2009-09-28 06:54:31

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

sarah wrote:

Thanks, but I can think for myself. I pretty much taught myself HTM/ CSS and a bit of java in a few months between work, by myself.

However, there were clear step by step instructions on the net on how to create a simple one page website using the above skills in order to master the skills.

Textpatttern tutorials don’t provide that. The easiest way to learn something is by doing, usually by completing a task. The rest I can handle.

It’s all very good having a great CMS, but if the tutorials are inadequate, and are just basic long winded essays, then many will flee to greener pastures.

theres a HUGE difference between learning html/css (which are basically the easiest things in the world since its all completely static and there is no real programming involved) and learning how a cms works.

when you delve into the world of cms’s, logic and functions take over. if someone asked how to create a link in html, the answer is straight and simple. if you want to change font colour via css? easy. just type so and so.

asking how to create a page in a cms is a completely different approach. you don’t have straight and simple answers. you are now trying to create a dynamic page, so wouldn’t it make sense that you could construct a page dynamically? there are a ton of ways to do it depending on your exact needs. theres a reason theres a ton of html/webpage generators ala dreamweaver etc etc etc but there really is no such thing as a ‘cms code generator’.

trying to learn any decent cms out there is overwhelming at first. i know it was when i first started using textpattern. but i kind of find it hard to believe that you didn’t even pick up anything useful at all from the various links already provided in this forum and you sound like you just want to be handheld through the process. i am guessing you haven’t even looked at the default template provided by a fresh txp install to get a general look and feel at how things are structured.

Last edited by iblastoff (2009-09-28 07:01:05)

#20 2009-09-28 17:13:23

sarah

Thanks all. But I’ve gone over to Modx. CMS made simple has had far too many security breaches!

#21 2009-09-28 18:00:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

sarah wrote:

But I’ve gone over to Modx.

Damn it, lost another user to MODx ;)

#22 2009-09-28 18:18:42

jstubbs
Website

May I ask why you chose MODX over TXP?

#23 2009-09-28 23:04:30

nabrown78
Website

Gee whiz people, there is no reason to be snarky to a potential new user of TXP. It may be that TXP is overly powerful for what Sarah wants to accomplish, but maybe her query also highlights a lack of beginner information out there. There are lots of tips, tricks, snippets, etc., but a lot of it is for people who already have a handle on the basics. The the book Textpattern Solutions is excellent, but someone may not want to invest in that before they are SURE they want to use TXP.

#24 2009-09-29 00:15:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

nabrown78 wrote:

It may be that TXP is overly powerful for what Sarah wants to accomplish

Or perhaps not. Sarah said “my site also includes javascript and I wish to use a CMS as it is a ecommerce site and needs to be updated regularly”. As we know, ecommerce is a big deal, but that’s beside the point that Nora is making. There do seem to be a lack of tutorials that mimic the ones sarah cited on the CMSms page. Is there a reason for this? Perhaps…

In CMSms Step 2 it’s essentially saying that you create one Page for each static page you had in your old site, copy just your content and assign it a template (it doesn’t tell you how to make one of these though).

Expanding on jsoo’s post #7 a little to be even more explicit:

1. decide which pages (Articles in TXP) need to have the same sort of look and feel — make a Section to hold each type of Article. Choose one to work on
  2. copy and paste one of your old HTML pages to a new TXP Page then remove the content, leaving just the general structural HTML markup as a template. Where you want to see the content, put <txp:article />; where you want to see the article’s title, put <txp:title />; and so on. There’s a TXP tag for every part of an article, and more besides
  3. in Presentation->Style create a new stylesheet and paste your old one in
  4. assign this Page and Stylesheet to the relevant Section you decided in step 1
  5. Go to the Write tab, copy n paste the same HTML page from your old site and edit out all the structural markup, leaving just the content in the Body field. Any intrinsic <p> and <br> tags are fine for now but you may want to investigate Textile when writing new articles. Put the article Title in the Title field and an optional excerpt in the Excerpt field. Choose in which Section your article is to appear and Publish it
  6. View your site and navigate to the Section. Your page shows up
  7. Repeat step 5 for each article in this Section
  8. Repeat steps 2-5 each time you want to ceate a set of articles with a different look and feel

This won’t address TXP’s powerhouse feature — using Forms to format lists of articles or to hold snippets of oft-used content/markup — but, rightly or wrongly, it does a similar job as the CMSms tutorial.

Taken at face value, the above seems incredibly complicated, which is probably why the current TXP tutorials go to great pains to explain the ethos and semantics behind TXP’s Pages, Forms, Sections, Articles, etc. Especially the excellent Textpattern First Steps, and Destry’s articles.

My guess is that a tutorial like the one sarah cited doesn’t exist precisely because taking some time up front to orient oneself in The TXP Way TM will ease the process of doing the above; especially when you want to change one thing and have to wade through a hundred articles if you’d done it all in the manner CMSms implies!

But if anyone feels there’s a gap in the docs and is compelled to write such a tutorial then Textbook would be all the richer.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer