Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-09-09 05:29:14

artagesw
Website

Re: Sites outside main TXP directory (multisite install)

photonomad wrote:

I’ve never explored the option of placing config.php outside of the web root, but I imagine I might be able to do it in Bluehost. I do have access to the directory above public_html. I will search and see if there are any forum topics or TXP Tips related to this — if you or anyone reading this has any advice on the topic, please let me know. Thanks!

The script takes care of this automatically. Have you read the sites/README.txt regarding how to set up multi-site? If not, I suggest you begin there.

#14 2009-09-09 13:00:24

jpdupont

Hello !

On my hosting (www.infomaniak.ch), impossible to run shell script.
I have access with FTP to the “root” of my site. (= directory “web”) and, below the “root”, I’m able to access a few directories like “data”, “etc”, … Impossible to access to these directories with the browser, but scripts are allowed to read the data directory content.

I want to run one txp install but many sites, each in a directory like :

www.mymainsite.com (admin in www.mysite.com/textpattern)
and :
www.mymainsite.com/firstsite (admin in www.mysite.com/firstsite/textpattern)
www.mymainsite.com/othersite (admin in www.mysite.com/othersite/textpattern)

Could someone help me to build such a txp installation ? I could give you ftp access to an empty domain/web space.

Thanks !

#15 2009-09-09 18:09:39

aesop1
Archived Plugin Author

Do any shell scripts (ssh) work on your host? That would be question for the host, really, not this forum. There is a symlink function in PHP, so it might be theoretically possible to build a PHP script to automate this process, but it still might not work in all shared setups. What do you think, Sam?

Last edited by aesop1 (2009-09-09 18:20:24)

#16 2009-09-09 18:48:39

jpdupont

aesop1,

ssh scripts are not allowed.
I’m not allowed to build symlink. I don’t want to automate the process, I want to create – on such a host – multiple sites with one txp install.

Is it possible to install TXP in the root – as usuel – and use the same TXP files to run other sites in directories ?

I run a school site. The main site is in the root, and many groups or projects have their site, in directories.
Actually, I install TXP in each directory. I want to run one core files installation … Any idea ?

Last edited by jpdupont (2009-09-09 18:49:36)

#17 2009-09-09 19:05:59

aesop1
Archived Plugin Author

Jpdupont,

I think you might be out of luck at this time unless your host lets you run sites from within your TXP folder. If not, I think you would manually have to hack the site files to link to the core install. Unless some other developers have already tackled this, I think it would take a coding effort to accomplish this.

Possible to move to another host? Sometimes that is the easier solution!

-Matt

#18 2009-09-09 19:54:05

artagesw
Website

Running multiple sites from a single install requires the ability to create symlinks, either via script or manually. The default distribution includes a sites directory with symlinks already created for the initial site. But unless your host allows you to point your document root into the sites directory, that won’t work for you either.

#19 2009-09-09 21:07:16

jpdupont

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

#20 2009-09-10 03:40:31

tye
Website

Did anyone manage to get this working on cpanel reseller hosting?

I haven’t tried… but I asked 2 of my reseller admins and they said it was not possible using whm/cpanel without changing the configuration of the server :(

The first server is setup using SuPHP which will run php scripts under that user account so any file permissions have to be compatible with that.

The second reseller account stated:

Unfortunatley Cpanel does not support this and installing this would be server wide and could 
impact server performance and or conflict with Cpanel itself.

#21 2009-09-10 06:06:15

tye
Website

The one that does is the one running SuPHP :( – The other doesn’t

What type of hosting would this setup run on best… I will be looking for a new server pretty soon and wouldn’t mind taking advantage of this?

#22 2009-09-10 06:09:54

artagesw
Website

tye wrote:

The first server is setup using SuPHP which will run php scripts under that user account so any file permissions have to be compatible with that.

I don’t see why that would be an issue. Joyent servers are set up in a similar manner using mod_fcgid.

#23 2009-09-10 06:12:01

tye
Website

artagesw wrote:

tye wrote:

I don’t see why that would be an issue. Joyent servers are set up in a similar manner using mod_fcgid.

I don’t know enough about hosting to argue with them… but this was the full sentence

The reason I think it has to be under one user account is that SuPHP will run php scripts under that user account so any file permissions have to be compatible with that.

#24 2009-09-10 07:23:11

artagesw
Website

Just saying that there is no incompatibility there. There is no reason you cannot run multiple sites under a single user account. That’s how people are running it on Joyent shared hosting.

Board footer