Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2009-08-15 04:26:57

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.2.0 Release Candidate: Help us test!

TheEric wrote:

Well, maintaining the status quo just because of compatibility is a bit silly really. This release seems to be making the most significant number of changes, why not some more?

We don’t think that respecting the investments of users in sites running Textpattern and of plugin authors in using our API is a bit silly. Not at all, in fact.

#122 2009-08-15 13:57:00

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

We don’t think that respecting the investments of users in sites running Textpattern and of plugin authors in using our API is a bit silly.

From what I’ve seen, many Textpattern users install the latest version, install needed plugins, tweak their look and feel and then go about entering content. Very few, I believe, upgrade to the next revision, because the changes are incremental and if you don’t need them, why bother.

#123 2009-08-15 14:20:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

hcgtv wrote:

From what I’ve seen, many Textpattern users install the latest version, install needed plugins, tweak their look and feel and then go about entering content. Very few, I believe, upgrade to the next revision, because the changes are incremental and if you don’t need them, why bother.

Bert, I think that Robert’s approach is the correct one. We both have seen numerous minor upgrade troubles on this forum to know that there are enough people who use the latest txp. This thread is currently on the 13th page and it only discusses an rc version. Proof enough I would think.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#124 2009-08-15 15:18:20

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

Bert, I think that Robert’s approach is the correct one.

I’m not knocking Robert’s approach, slow and steady has always been Debian’s angle, though Ubuntu’s popularity does make one wonder, what if?

Users upgrade their web apps for two reasons, a) security related issue is discovered, b) a must have feature is released. Since Textpattern is secure and past releases have had incremental changes, my argument is that users have had little reason to upgrade. There is a difference between users that hang out on this forum and those users that install Textpattern and never visit here.

With new developers on board, the concept that was Crockery may need to be revisited. A slow and steady branch is welcome by some but also a branch that takes Textpattern towards a new horizon has been discussed ad-nauseum by many of us on this forum. At some point, backwards compatibilty has to be sacrificed in order to move forward with innovative features.

#125 2009-08-15 15:24:07

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

At some point, backwards compatibilty has to be sacrificed in order to move forward with innovative features.

Version 5, right?

#126 2009-08-15 17:28:35

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

johnstephens wrote:

Version 5, right?

Making a branch that requires PHP 5.* and MySQL 5.* would let the developers innovate without having to think of backwards compatibility, yes. Those that want to move to the new branch would have to weigh the consequences against the benefits, but a stable old branch would still exist for those that are happy with the status quo.

#127 2009-08-16 09:46:15

merz1
Website

Bert said

Very few, I believe, upgrade to the next revision, because the changes are incremental and if you don’t need them, why bother.

Vote -1 This is exactly what I always do when a new version exists and if you eg follow twitter there are many mentions of ‘Upgraded textpattern in 5 minutes. Thanks!’ or alike.

At some point, backwards compatibilty has to be sacrificed in order to move forward with innovative features.

Exactly which “innovative features” are going to break “backwards compatibilty” right now?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#128 2009-08-16 10:17:32

whaleen
Website

I never upgrade from a production status installation. I leave it be… knowing it’s manageable.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#129 2009-08-16 10:19:03

whaleen
Website

$$$$$$$$$$

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#130 2009-08-17 14:13:06

cnolle
Archived Plugin Author
Website

The new admin theme is absolutely lovely. I tried to upgrade directly from 4.0.5. That didn’t work. For some reason it logged me out and I was unable to login again (even after resetting my password manually in the database, some issue with user_name not being found). Tried again by updating to 4.0.8 first then to 4.2 and it works. Very nice. Most of my plugins (cno_image_order, cno_gallery) work without any problems.

Great work. Looking forward to the full release.

— Christian

#131 2009-08-21 05:32:51

graumeister
Plugin Author
Website

Hello,

If I call a Tag in a form that does not exist I get the following PHP Warning:

<txp:gho_comment_num/> -> Textpattern Warning: on line 1120

Followed by a dump. I guess there is the actual Warning missing.

Samui? Samui! (about the life as farang in thailand)
David’s Neighbour

#132 2009-08-21 09:43:16

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

^^ in a form that doesn’t exist, there are no tags. Are you referencing a non-existing form in a tag?

Board footer