Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2009-11-29 22:21:25

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Evolving Textpattern System Requirements - An Informal Poll

I have asked for removing PHP4 support in one of my plugins, I wouldn’t think twice about it for the TXP core.

I find it shocking that people still use something that was announced EOL 18 months ago!!!

TXP doesn’t only need OO, but it should sit right on top of MVC. It’s the de-facto these days in any serious web app development, there’s no reason why TXP wouldn’t go one up.

The second best thing would be ORM, but maybe I’m pushing it a little bit here. I imagine this scenario in which TXP 5 rolls out with MVC under one wing and ORM under another wing and take the CMS world by storm. I imagine a solid noSQL back-end (CouchDB, MongoDB etc. – doesn’t f-ing matter) which would solve all MySQL related issues. Maybe I’m imagining too much, but wouldn’t that be a sight? If something like this was in the plans, I would be the first one to join the ranks of core developers, but MySQL and PHP on their own just don’t do it for me.

The attention these days is on ORM, noSQL, node.js, git, Varnish etc., so why not make use of all this attention and become the first long-running CMS to take it to the next level?

+1 PHP 5

+1 OO

+1 MySQL 5

#62 2009-11-29 22:28:06

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

For those that worry about web hosting companies, you shouldn’t. If plenty of you are serious, I’ll fire up as many instances in the Rackspace cloud as you need (both US and EU), puppetize or chefize them all. A new Textdrive maybe, but without the crazy Solaris environment that none really needs or wants.

So, how many of you are looking for a kick-ass PHP 5 / MySQL 5 host in US or EU running in the cloud? : )

#63 2009-11-30 06:18:40

maverick
Website

gerhard

did you see this related thread?

#64 2009-12-18 11:46:47

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

We will exclude PHP 5.3.0 from the list of supported PHPs for a reason.

Board footer