You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [archived] bsl_audioscrobbler

#13 2004-08-02 21:05:03

dude
Website

Re: [archived] bsl_audioscrobbler

I hate to be a pain but I am a bit useless at the coding stuff.

I have set up an audioscrobbler account,
Insatlled the winamp plugin,
installed the plugin (V.03) and activated it,
I’ ve seen the code when I click on the plugin name,

what do I do to make the song list appear in my webpage.

i’m trying to use it on <a href=“http://www.rantblog.com”>rantblog</a> where i test stuff.

#14 2004-08-02 23:18:27

polygon_monkey
Archived Plugin Author

It should be <code><txp:bsl_audioscrobbler /></code>. And you need to give it some properties.

Like : <code><txp:bsl_audioscrobbler limit=“5” username=“bradlaylaw” break=”<br />” /></code>

Last edited by polygon_monkey (2004-08-02 23:20:27)

#15 2004-08-03 02:55:20

gonzo409
Website

Having a problem. I set up a CSS style called italic. I’m sure you can guess what it does.

Here is the code I have:

<txp:bsl_audioscrobbler limit="1" username="gonzo409" separator=": " song_style="italic" />

However, the “italic” style is not attributed to the song name. Am I doing something wrong?

Liberal. Geek.

#16 2004-08-03 08:15:00

dude
Website

cheers polygon_monkey. I hope it works. I am assuming that if audioscrobbler dies then my site dies also. When I try to open my site or yours I get “unable to open feed”

#17 2004-08-03 08:41:09

polygon_monkey
Archived Plugin Author

I really need to fix the problem of sites not loading when audioscrobbler.com isn’t avaliable. I’m going to look into that today.

#18 2004-08-09 15:05:18

Daragh
Website

Any luck with the caching thing, polygon_monkey? I’m dying to use your plugin again.

#19 2004-08-10 08:14:19

polygon_monkey
Archived Plugin Author

Not at the moment. I’m going to look into it more at the weekend. I can’t figure out a way to check if the audioscrobbler site is down with out taking some time.

#20 2004-08-10 13:42:31

Daragh
Website

Righteous. Thanks for your work developing this thing.

#21 2004-08-10 22:14:30

polygon_monkey
Archived Plugin Author

Version 0.4 is now avaliable.

It now has caching. You need to specify a folder to save cache in, cache file name and various other things that are specified in the help.

If the audioscrobbler site is plain not there, it will drop to the cache straight away. You can set a timeout value for when the site is there but it is being slooow so that it drops to cache after a certain amount of time.

You can also set an age on the cache so that it only checks the audioscrobbler site after the cache is so old.

Please report any bugs as I haven’t managed to do extensive testing.

Hope it does what you wanted it to do :

http://mypropaganda.co.uk/bsl_audioscrobbler/bsl_audioscrobbler.0.4.txt

Last edited by polygon_monkey (2004-08-10 22:14:53)

#22 2004-08-11 13:27:56

Daragh
Website

OK I gave it a whirl. The caching is definitely a help; the page will load now, albeit with runtimes of 1 second and up (with a 1 second feed_timeout). Ultimately, after one 10 second runtime, I removed it again.

Here’s what I’d suggest (keep in mind I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to technical issues, and especially what a plugin can/cannot do): have the plugin only call from the cache. In the meantime have the cache updating every five minutes or whatever. That way there’s no need for any wait time when loading the page.

#23 2004-08-11 13:44:11

polygon_monkey
Archived Plugin Author

That is pretty much impossible unless you run cron jobs on your server. If you could run a script as a cron job that updates the cache and then set the minimum age to be more than the interval of updating then it would run okay.

The only other thing I can suggest is setting the minimum cache age to be half a day, or every two hours so that it only checked the audioscrobbler site a few times a day. From what I tested on my own website, if it’s using the cache only, it’s pretty much instant.

The problem is, there is always going to be the delay of getting the info from the audioscrobbler site at some point, no matter what I do. The audioscrobbler site is just too slow at times (and it’s got to download 10k).

Saying that, I have the plugin installed on my own page and it’s loading okay at the moment.

#24 2004-08-11 14:31:42

Daragh
Website

Yeah, sorry if I come across as a fussy bastard – the real problem is their slow-ass site, not your plugin. Hopefully when they install their new server it will be better. I’m going to toy around with the settings and see what I can do. BTW, I’ve been auditioning a bunch of other methods for displaying recently played tracks (kung tunes, recent tunes, audioscrobbler via RSS) and this is the easiest and best method. Good job.

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » [archived] bsl_audioscrobbler

Board footer