Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-05-29 04:34:20

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Membership management tool

Bloke wrote:

What fields do you want? Fore+Surname, email, type of user (=priv level?), phone numbers, street address, office extension, yahde yahde. Making a system that worked for many clients would involve copious configuration on your behalf to set the fields you want and to create the database tables to store the stuff. And if you then decide to add/delete a column at a later date…

Think out of the box ;) I would set up multiple tables, one for just storing the primary data (id, username, email, password) and an other that stores the admin defined details. For example that could work quite in same way as Textpattern’s categories do – it’s so simple.

Plus, who said that all the information needs to be in it’s own column. Every detail can be it’s own row, linked with parent id that is then linked to the user. It makes it really easy and by that way the admin can freely manage, delete and define details.

Bloke wrote:

Fair enough. But can you really write one form in a plugin / the core that fits all possible scenarios and potential markup that you might want to use?

Possibly can, if you give the form tag-n-plug structure.

Bloke wrote:

Not always applicable but an option, sure. Any more meta data about each image/file? Or do they go into the current tables?

I would do this also as an admin defined prefs – possibly with multiple databases, or atleast column-add opportunity.

Bloke wrote:

So a complete CRM solution? Like postmaster but better, with export facility. Yowzers!

Even better, it runs own PHP – a processor eating mother f…. I say, let’s steal the towel of webhotels! LOL.

#14 2009-05-29 06:08:19

jstubbs
Website

Jukka, does this mean you are interested in starting this project, basing it on the current plugins available?

#15 2009-05-29 07:20:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Jukka, does this mean you are interested in starting this project, basing it on the current plugins available?

Just thinking aloud, how it could be easily done from the end-user perspective, based on Bloke’s brain-beans. Me-Too-Busy.

#16 2009-07-10 08:38:59

jstubbs
Website

Bumping this thread to check with anyone who has posted here re the membership management solution – I am talking with a developer now about the requirements for my site work, so if there is anything else that can be added please either post here or email me.

Would be good to pool ideas and possibly share costs.

#17 2009-07-10 10:25:30

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Jonathan, depending on how modular/adaptable your envisaged scenario is, I’d certainly be interested. I’d written a long post but my ISP-connection had dropped when I went to send it and it’s lost (grrr). Anyhow, we’ve discussed some of this offline before and like Tom Reno I’ve implemented bits of this up to a fairly complex multi-author site with user profiles. I can provide more information on that to you or the developer if it helps in any way.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2009-10-15 05:12:15

tye
Website

I’ve just seen this – and am very interested – I’ll have a think about it

#19 2009-11-23 19:25:37

mrdale
Website

Any updates on this. I have a design proje that I could use it for.

#20 2009-11-23 19:30:48

lee

ExpressionEngine V2 is out on the 1st Dec. It and the current version have excellent membership management.

#21 2009-11-23 20:21:20

jstubbs
Website

What I envisaged did not really work out, but at least in my case, I have improved the management of members quite a lot.

I use aMember with a custom aMember plugin for sharing users/database with ign_password_protect (there is another plugin for TXP users table) along with some modified mem_ plugins that allow for an image upload.

If anyone wants to chip in to make mem_moderation_image allow for multiple image uploads give me a shout. We can share costs if there are enough people interested.

#22 2010-07-16 12:50:30

tye
Website

Bring this post back to the top – I think there is a need for user/membership management in txp… I’ll think more about the details over the weekend (wish I knew more php)

#23 2010-07-16 13:41:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

I think there is a need for user/membership management in txp…

But not in the core, right?

imo it’s not a facility that a lot of people would use so it should be where a plugin or two shine.

I know jstubbs’ implementation used a lot of plugins and wasn’t therefore a one-stop-shop solution, but it worked. Trying to meet all the needs of all users is one huge task and I would envisage is too disparate to do in the core. For example, Jonathan cited integration with aMember and the need to delete images and files associated with an article when it expired. That’s very specific and not something most people would want out of a membership management solution. It’s questionable whether it’s even part of the membership system, per se. Membership management (to me) is managing users/self-registration and, possibly, the ability for members to create/manage content; although this may be deemed outside the scope because some simply lock away certain members-only content. Automatic deletion of content is outside membership scope and, I’d argue, even outside the scope of a CMS whose primary aim is to publish content to the web. This functionality is plugin land.

If you want to see membership done well (sorry, I’m biased as I played a small part in its creation :-) then look at the BISA site. I think that was primarily:

• mem_form/simple_form
  • rvm_privileged (streets ahead of ign_password_protect, sorry igner)
  • smd_query
  • some very clever naming conventions and custom field usage by jakob
  • a small core mod to allow two more priv levels (this is something that won’t require a mod when the privs are eventually moved to the DB — I have a sketch on the back of a beermat of how this might work)

Then it was just a case of designing the front-end pages/forms, which is something that would need to be done anway for any solution of this magnitude. There’s no way the core could — or would want to — offer out-of-the-box front-end content management when we have the admin interface. I’d far rather open the admin-side up in places so that bigger and better plugins can offer this functionality for those that need it. smd_bio was a step in this direction, btw. Integrating that with rvm_privileged and mem_form means you can manage profiles from the front-end with minimal bother (in theory: untested).

But there are places the core can help with the admin-side. One is by adding search to the Admin->Users tab. I’d forgotten about this request and it makes sense, since it’s on the other tabs. The other is through admin themes and better DOM hooks. The latter is 90% done in the current SVN ready for 4.3.0 and TXP 5. This should allow far better customisation to take place and allow the admin-side to be customised further than ever before, more easily. And it’ll get easier in TXP 5 to the extent that all you’ll probably need is a dashboard plugin, some CSS/jQuery and plenty of imagination1

bot_write_tab_customise is a shining example of what can be done on the admin side — and that’s with the current DOM structure. Picture bot_admin_side_customise and you probably won’t need a front-end membership management tool!

fn1. Imagination and features subject to change. Terms and conditions apply :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2010-07-16 13:45:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2010-07-16 15:14:25

tye
Website

Hey Stef – don’t change the core – thats what most of my sites work off :) + expressionengine works off a module(plugin) – so why include it in the core of txp?

I didn’t expect the core to be changed – I’m merely looking for a plugin/soloution which could manage members or, subscriptions, paid subscritions etc…

After I posted, I thought of mr Dales Client Section which is very similar to what I am looking for.

I will look at http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=230141 (its bookmarked) – but it seems ( to me) this is totally out of my range as a designer :) – id love to do it though :)

How is it possible to use these plugins and have a area where people input their own data – I’m not getting that yet :(?

How is it possible to ask a client to perceive a category as a person, or product, or whatever… is there a way to alter this?

See What I mean… or not :(

I’m thinking though :)

Board footer