Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#41 2009-08-13 23:07:30

maniqui
Website

Re: aks_rss : RSS parser and aggregator

Ok, sorry for the triple posting… and even more sorries for wasting your time… it was all my fault…
I’m ashamed.

It happened that when I downloaded the plugin, I also went to SimplePie site and saw there was a new version (1.2) and I said: “hey, let’s try aks_rss with the new SimplePie version”.

As it didn’t work, I then say: “ok, let’s go back to SimplePie 1.1.3”, and I was sure I did replace it… but I didn’t.

Few minutes ago, I checked that the simplepie.inc file on server was still 1.2, so I rolled back to 1.1.3 and we all know the happy ending for this story :).

At least, we know that aks_rss and SimplePie 1.2 aren’t compatible… yet… ;)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#42 2009-08-14 20:47:35

maniqui
Website

Me again.

makss: if you are preparing any update, you may want to consider the following feedback :)

<txp:aks_rssclass /> doesn’t do things on a very “textpatternish way”, imho.
Why? It tries to resolve “more” than what is needed, or said using other words: it outputs more than the necessary.
It currently outputs class='example-com', so it just can be used for adding a class attribute to an HTML element (of course… it’s aks_rssclass!).

So, what’s the problem? If you want to add another class to the same element that you are adding <txp:aks_rssclass />, you can’t. Or even if you want to add just that class, but add some sufix or prefix, you can’t either

IMHO, a better solution (a more “textpatternish” solution) would just been a tag that outputs just example-com, let’s name it aks_rss_source (or something like that).

That will let us do things like:

Multiple classes:
<li class="<txp:aks_rss_source /> another-class"> ==> <li class="youtube-com another-class">

Custom classes (helpful if you already used the class somewhere else or if you want to create different classes for different HTML inside each feed item):
<li class="<txp:aks_rss_source />-feed-item"> ==> <li class="you-tube-feed-item">

Unique IDs (may be usefu for scripting)
<li id="<txp:aks_rss_source />-<txp:rvm_counter />"> ==> <li id="you-tube-1">
<li id="<txp:aks_rss_source />-<txp:rvm_counter />"> -> <li id="you-tube-2">

One more comment

• aesthetically, I would prefer an underscore separating the plugin name from the particular tag name: <txp:aks_rss_class />, <txp:aks_rss_title />, <txp:aks_rss_link />,

And, finally, a question about an attribute:

remove_div (optional)
This attribute allows you to strip that div out.

What does it do? I don’t get it.

Thanks again.

#43 2009-08-15 22:00:15

makss
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

<txp:aks_rssclass /> doesn’t do things on a very “textpatternish way”, imho.
IMHO, a better solution (a more “textpatternish” solution) would just been a tag that outputs just example-com, let’s name it aks_rss_source (or something like that)..

• aesthetically, I would prefer an underscore separating the plugin name from the particular tag name: <txp:aks_rss_class />, <txp:aks_rss_title />, <txp:aks_rss_link />,

Thanks for feedback, it will be fixed in next update.

And, finally, a question about an attribute:
remove_div (optional)
What does it do? I don’t get it.

I don’t know. :-)
It’s from Simplepie attributes, possible I remove this attribute(or simple hide from my docs ;-)
From Simplepie docs

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_meta | aks_header : Compress your pages on the fly

#44 2009-08-16 09:34:03

merz1
Website

Re. remove_div: Pls. check SimplePie doc before removing an option. In my experience all options supportes by SimplePie do make sense.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#45 2009-08-16 10:24:54

whaleen
Website

wrong post

Last edited by whaleen (2009-08-16 10:29:40)

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#46 2009-08-24 20:57:06

maniqui
Website

Hi makss,

I wonder how/if the <txp:author /> works, as I’m fetching a feed that has <author>memail.com</author>, but then, <txp:author /> doesn’t return anything.

Also, I’m also trying to create a custom feed (reading both your tutorial and using rah_external_output to keep the feed out of the TXP section and articles machinery), to fetch the comments counting. I’m following this tutorial: Extending SimplePie to parse Unique RSS Feeds.
Do you have any particular advice, tip or tricks on how to get aks_rss to fetch custom feeds that has some particular fields?

Thanks in advance.

#47 2009-08-30 11:24:23

makss
Plugin Author
Website

aks_rss v0.1.5

Changes:

• Add attribute shortdesc – short item description to N words
  • Fix bad naming:
    • <txp:aks_rsstitle /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_title />
    • <txp:aks_rsslink /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_link />
    • <txp:aks_rssclass /> – please, use other tag – <txp:aks_rss_source />

maniqui, thank for link on “Extending SimplePie to parse Unique RSS Feeds”

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_meta | aks_header : Compress your pages on the fly

#48 2009-09-20 00:48:09

pompilos
Website

Hello, makss.

I am testing your plugin at this educational web, and it works perfectly. The problem is that I want to link to a Flickr pool, but not to show the title and date info. I would prefer rather to show the thumbnail image of each photography. This information is available in the Flickr rss feed, as seen at this piece of code:

<media:thumbnail url="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/3935637540_713b5e9b02_s.jpg" height="75" width="75" />.

Can your plugin do this? If ‘yes’, what code have I to use in order to achieve it? If ‘not’, I think this one would be a great feature to ad to future versions of the plugin.

Thanks anyway for your plugin (sometimes ago I tested another SimpePie plugin based without any results).

Last edited by pompilos (2009-09-20 01:06:13)

#49 2009-11-30 23:06:01

aslsw66

I’ve just installed this plugin and run a simple test on a weather feed. The feed works as intended, but in test mode I’m getting lots of these sorts of errors:

“Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated on line 12986”

I have no idea about parsing RSS feeds, and have been putting this off because I’m a bit nervous about it.

I’m only using the basic functionality as shown on one of the demo pages.

Are these errors a major issue?

Also, the weather feed I’m using spits out the weather in some poorly formed HTML, which the plugin is picking up (as it should). However, the feed gives the raw weather data inside a <w:current … /> tag. Is it possible to extract that instead, so that I can tidy up the HTML to display?

#50 2009-12-01 14:08:23

merz1
Website

@aslsw66 One trick to tidy up RSS feeds is to let them run through FeedBurner first.

@pompilos The same might work for you. Of course all feed info will remain. To clean a feed from specific content you have to use Yahoo pipes.

FeedBurner Make sure to activate the ‘SmartFeed’ feature in ‘Optimize’.

Last edited by merz1 (2009-12-01 14:09:30)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer