Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-03-26 19:04:47

duchamp
Website

[request] Pay before download

I know there are some e-commerce plugins, but I couldn’t find the way to create a ‘downloads section’ that requires to pay (through Paypal) before download a file.
Any idea?

#2 2009-03-26 20:02:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [request] Pay before download

duchamp wrote:

create a ‘downloads section’ that requires to pay (through Paypal) before download a file. Any idea?

Yes, plenty of ideas. Sadly, no concrete implementation as yet because I haven’t finished the plugin :-(

I intend to hook it into yab_shop top allow paid digital downloads from a secure area of your site, while allowing you to manage your downloads from the usual Files tab in TXP. It’ll probably be a while yet because there are a lot of implementation details to iron out (like getting an immutable “yes this person has paid” trigger from PayPal for starters that we can hook into to take people to a secure area/send them the download), so if anyone has any other ideas, I’d go with those for now.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2009-03-26 20:10:01

duchamp
Website

Thanks Stef!

Hope to see and use that Plugin with TXP not so far in the future!

Well, I’m going to search for some PHP implementation to do the same without TXP

Regards

#4 2009-03-27 08:59:43

FireFusion

Linklok is the standard. I’ve used it many times and it works well.

#5 2009-03-27 09:36:00

kostas45

Bloke wrote:

Yes, plenty of ideas. Sadly, no concrete implementation as yet because I haven’t finished the plugin :-(

This is a pleasant surprise :-)
I am currently building such a site to sell digital photos.

Bloke wrote:

I intend to hook it into yab_shop top allow paid digital downloads from a secure area of your site, while allowing you to manage your downloads from the usual Files tab in TXP.

I was also thinking to somehow combine it with yab_download.
Managing downloads through the usual Files tab, would be wonderful.

Bloke wrote:

It’ll probably be a while yet because there are a lot of implementation details to iron out (like getting an immutable “yes this person has paid” trigger from PayPal for starters that we can hook into to take people to a secure area/send them the download), so if anyone has any other ideas, I’d go with those for now.

I am ready to help with testing and whatever :-)

Cheers,
Kostas

#6 2009-03-27 09:42:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

FireFusion

Cheers for the linklok hint. It proves that an immutable “yes” from PayPal is possible. Now if only I could find a way to do that in my plugin, or trenc could build it into yab_shop/yab_download…

kostas45

I am currently building such a site to sell digital photos.

Cool, I want to do the same (which is why I need my proposed plugin) but the downside is that it only works on the Files tab at the moment. So you’d have to upload your pictures there instead of the Images tab. If there was an Image ‘context’ inside TXP then it would be much easier to implement it for Images too. But if I can offer it on both tabs then I will try, because it would be very handy. Thanks for the testing offer. When (if!) I get it going I’ll send you a copy to play with. I think I’ve worked out the implementation details, it just needs coding…

Last edited by Bloke (2009-03-27 09:56:12)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#7 2009-03-27 10:07:29

kostas45

Bloke wrote:

…but the downside is that it only works on the Files tab at the moment. So you’d have to upload your pictures there instead of the Images tab.

What about this: Upload your photos as usual in the Images tab, these will be the preview for the customer. Upload your downloads (many MB photos) in the Files tab. Then at checkout, you need to somehow find the corresponding downloads and send them off to customer.

Another issue needing consideration:
Should the downloads be in the Files dir, or should they be above the web root, ie not directly accessible with a web browser?

-Kostas

#8 2009-03-27 10:38:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

kostas45 wrote:

What about this: Upload your photos as usual in the Images tab, these will be the preview for the customer. Upload your downloads (many MB photos) in the Files tab. Then at checkout, you need to somehow find the corresponding downloads and send them off to customer.

Yes, this works but it’s a pain for a client to have to upload two files in two different places (essentially a thumbnail and a full download) but I don’t know if it’s easily fixable by this plugin. You could always use EBL_upload I suppose.

Since the plugin is really an extension of smd_remote_file, you have <txp:smd_file_download_image /> at your disposal but it’s still not ideal. Needs more thought on this one.

Should the downloads be in the Files dir

Definitely not! Such “secure” downloads will be outside the doc root and served specially by the plugin. I’ve figured out the way to handle all that from the Files tab; it’s rather neat (he says, blowing his own trumpet for a second!)

#9 2009-03-27 10:58:14

kostas45

Bloke wrote:

Yes, this works but it’s a pain for a client to have to upload two files in two different places (essentially a thumbnail and a full download) but I don’t know if it’s easily fixable by this plugin. You could always use EBL_upload I suppose.

Besides uploading download files, customer needs to create an article for each download anyway. The article can have (or not) images which need to be uploaded. No pain here, business as usual :-)

Bloke wrote:

Such “secure” downloads will be outside the doc root and served specially by the plugin. I’ve figured out the way to handle all that from the Files tab; it’s rather neat (he says, blowing his own trumpet for a second!)

Cool :-)

Stef, you probably know this: https://www.paypal.com/ipn

-Kostas

#10 2009-03-27 11:23:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

kostas45 wrote:

Besides uploading download files, customer needs to create an article for each download anyway… No pain here, business as usual :-)

Fair enough. For other sites/models, though, it could be a show stopper so some way of handling stuff on the Images tab would be useful. I’ll see what I can do.

you probably know this: https://www.paypal.com/ipn

Thanks for the link. I have looked at it, and it does seem to be the way forward. From TXP’s point of view, the ‘confirmed’ page acts just like a “thanks, here is your download” form (possibly with/without a separate email being sent). What is to stop someone from pointing their browser at that ‘thanks’ URL directly and getting the download link?

We’d need to set up some kind of session at the start of the transaction and be sure that what we get back from PayPal’s IPN is the only thing that can display a valid “thanks, here is your download” form. Anything else just shows “nice try” or something. The answer’s out there somewhere, I just gotta make it happen reliably! Thinking mode *on*

#11 2009-03-27 13:31:45

duchamp
Website

Nice to see that this subject is alive!
Didn’t try it yet, but I was searching Sourceforge.net for a -Free-/OpenSource System and found this one:
Payvex – Lock step protection for IPN Downloading
I’m going to test it.

Here’s another one that it’s Free/OpenSource:
Digital Product Manager v. 1.3.1

Last edited by duchamp (2009-03-27 13:56:57)

#12 2009-03-27 17:04:50

FireFusion

Here is another free one that uses amazon s3

BRAD SUCKS DIGITAL DOWNLOAD STORE

Last edited by FireFusion (2009-03-27 17:05:12)

Board footer