Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-03-11 20:00:54

els

MLP: The Next Generation

NOTE: This is not the MLP support thread, you can find that here.

========================================

Hi TXP community,

As you may know by now, Steve (netcarver), one of the developers behind the MLP (The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack) pack, said goodbye to TXP.

Users of netcarver’s plugins were concerned about the future of those plugins. Indeed, after netcarver leaving the forum, two of his popular plugins (the MLP and sed_section_fields) were broken on TXP 4.0.8.
Thankfully, wet helped to fix sed_section_fields, and Graeme helped to fix the MLP :)

In the meantime, we began to wonder how to keep MLP development going on, how to avoid MLP becoming abandonware. We were worried because we, our clients and many other TXP users are MLP users, so the MLP is an important tool for us.
We thought about contacting some well-known plug-in developers to ask for advice and, in fact, we did.

When Graeme posted the fix for MLP to be compatible with TXP 4.0.8, we decided to contact him for more advice, and share with him our concerns and ideas about the future of the MLP.

That’s when the future became brighter, because Graeme showed himself willing to help us and to help in further development of MLP. That was and is great news! :D
And there is more… Graeme contacted another well-known developer and asked him to join us in this new MLP era. And he is willing to help too :D

So, here we are now: trying to materialize all these wishes, ideas and words into actions.
And we would like other members of this community to join us in this effort of bringing MLP on track again and make it a true community plugin.

The plan

Graeme shared some good ideas about how MLP development could be improved.
He pointed out that the current forum thread for MLP (1200+ posts) is becoming difficult to follow for users and to follow up for developers. Bug reports, feature requests, helping posts and power tips are being buried in that large thread.
So Graeme suggested a public issue tracker could be used to file bug reports and feature requests made on the plug-in thread. Also, the plan is to have a new homepage for MLP, to help promoting the plugin, and to have a running demo of MLP.

What do we have so far?

• two developers willing to contribute to MLP’s continued existence: Graeme Porteous (graeme) and Stef Dawson (Bloke)
  • TXP Forge, using Redmine for project management, issue tracking and whatever else is needed (both domain and application vigorously taken care of by Graeme)
  • Graeme is writing a developer guide to how the plugin works

What more do we want?

• We are inviting other plugin developers to join the MLP dev team. If you are a plugin developer, you may like to make your plugin compatible with the MLP, or you may want to develop a new feature for the MLP, or you may want to get involved to learn and help. If you are a plugin developer actually using MLP yourself, your contributions would be especially welcome!
  • Donations to the project will always be welcomed. We still need to work out a way to organize this.

We will post more detailed info on when and how to use the issue tracker en when to use the forum thread and things like that soon – when we’ve worked it out ourselves ;)

In the meantime, we’d love to hear your opinions!

- only one of us could post, but the ‘we’ in this post are Julián (maniqui) and me (Els) :) -

Last edited by els (2010-10-17 11:00:16)

#2 2009-03-11 20:17:00

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: MLP: The Next Generation

Great news!

I’d love to see MLP prosper, and we are already applying lessons learned from the sed_section_fields hiccup to the development targets of TXP 4.0.9 (e.g. a more stable platform for third-party contributions, less HTML voodoo parsing).

Judging from the current schema layout, MLP will hardly ever find it’s native place in the TXP core, but it is considered a “near relative” so if anything helps to integrate these two siblings we are all ears.

#3 2009-03-11 21:07:25

lonelytraveller

A big “thank you” to Els, Julian, Stef and Graeme: I’m so happy to read that MLP will be still mantained and developed. I must admit that one of the reasons why I use Textpattern as a CMS for my projects is because of MLP. I’ve used it so many times that I cannot imagine building a multi-language site without it!

If I were a plug-in developer I would definitely beg to join the team, but I’m not and I cannot help you with technical issues. Instead I’ll be really glad to contribute with a small donation as soon as you will let us know how to do it.

Many thanks :-)

#4 2009-03-11 21:48:41

Kjeld
Website

Wonderful news. I am a big MLP fan myself and was getting lost on the monstrous MLP thread. I wish MLP could be part of the textpattern core, so there would be no need to fool around with a plugin, but I understand that such an adjustment is not going to happen.

I wish you much success with the continuous development of MLP!

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#5 2009-03-12 00:29:05

redbot
Plugin Author

That’s really a good news, thank you all

#6 2009-03-12 10:14:57

kees-b
Website

Great news! And count me in for any nl localization support.

kees

#7 2009-03-12 16:29:24

Timid&friendly
Website

I really appreciate you guys.THX. I’m no developer but if i can help tehn let me Know

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#8 2009-03-13 09:21:00

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you!
like timid, I’m no developer, but I’d love to contribute. If any front-end coding/design work is needed, consider me a volunteer, otherwise, let me know when donations are set up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#9 2009-03-15 22:35:07

els

I uploaded the string translation files from this thread to TXP Forge. There are only a few files, and – judging by the MLP users’ nationalities – I would think that there must be more lying around ;)
So users who want to contribute can donate their translation files :)

Last edited by els (2009-03-15 22:39:43)

#10 2009-03-15 22:39:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Els wrote:

I uploaded the string translation files… to TXP Forge

Nice one, thanks. Makes sense to have them all in one place like that.

For some reason I thought there were more than that too. Hopefully anyone with a strings file lurking around on their computer will post them up.

EDIT: I think I remember the_ghost has a cyrillic one… maybe?

Last edited by Bloke (2009-03-15 22:40:47)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#11 2009-03-15 23:45:20

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

EDIT: I think I remember the_ghost has a cyrillic one… maybe?

General zem_contact_lang doesn’t suite?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#12 2009-03-17 23:17:06

els

the_ghost wrote:

General zem_contact_lang doesn’t suite?

Hi Victor, not sure I understand what you mean? Are you not using zem_contact_lang-mlp?

Board footer