Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2010-03-16 02:45:03

laptophobo
Website

Re: Moving installation to new host, importing database and MySQL error

I haven’t tried dumping my cookies (I’d rather do that only as a last resort), but have tried it on a browser that stores no data and the problem persists.

And, yes, simply creating a new user account cause my own password to change. It’s like the interface reads only 1 user even though it lists more than 1.

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#38 2010-03-16 12:36:31

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

laptophobo wrote:

I haven’t tried dumping my cookies (I’d rather do that only as a last resort),

You wouldn’t have to dump them all. Just the txp_login and txp_login_public cookies for this site.

but have tried it on a browser that stores no data and the problem persists.

Hmm, I didn’t think you could use the admin side with cookies disabled.

And, yes, simply creating a new user account cause my own password to change. It’s like the interface reads only 1 user even though it lists more than 1.

Post to Troubleshooting.

Code is topiary

#39 2010-06-16 23:58:33

laptophobo
Website

My Article paths are still seeing the old folder location.
I moved my site from a folder on my server to the root. I went into the Admin > Preferences and updated the paths. The config.php file was also updated (on all of these, all I had to do was remove the old folder location).
The site view as it should, but the links within the Articles are still going to the old folder. Also, my password protected Section (“design-questionnaire”) isn’t protecting (the Diagnostics show this message:“Old placeholder file is in the way: /var/www/html/design-questionnaire”).

There must be one other file that needs to be updated with the new file path, but I can’t think what it might be. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by laptophobo (2010-06-16 23:59:50)

#40 2010-10-05 23:27:08

laptophobo
Website

I’m getting Pre-Flight Check errors after copying my live copy to local. All is well, but this is what I get in Diagnostics:

File directory path is not writable: C:\xampp\htdocs\files

Temporary directory path is not writable: C:\xampp\htdocs\textpattern\tmp

My notes say to make the files “writable” but I’m not offered CHMD on my local files.

Anyone? Thanks!

#41 2010-10-06 00:33:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

laptophobo wrote:

My notes say to make the files “writable” but I’m not offered CHMD on my local files.

CHMOD itself is a command for UNIX like(ish) enviroments, not for Windows. But as you said, make sure the directory is actually writable. Even Windows has permission model and file attributes.

Make sure that the user that is used to run the Apache/PHP processes has write permissions to the directory (and parent directories) and that the directory isn’t set as Read-only. All that can be found from folder properties.

xampp

If you are using XAMPP, make sure that you have gone thru the securing steps provided in the Xampp’s FAQs/quides. Be aware; it’s a web server, and by default publicly accessable from outside. If you haven’t spent time to secure it (by blocking incoming access with firewall/router) and changed/set passwords, it’s highly insecure as the default settings are ment for local use.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-10-06 00:52:07)

#42 2010-10-06 16:56:23

laptophobo
Website

Well, I’ve tried making the folder “writable” but no matter what i do the attributes remain “read only.” The file location is c:\xampp\htdocs\acme\files. I went through the apache security and put in passwords. As for trying to modify the folder properties (properties>security>advance>owners>edit) it does not take any changes that I make to the two users on there that don’t have full control already. But since I’m the only user to this computer and the administrator, I’m wondering why I can’t change file permissions.

#43 2010-10-06 18:18:52

els

You can try using an FTP client. It usually lets you change permissions more easily than windows itself does.

#44 2010-10-06 18:44:51

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

laptophobo wrote:

c:\xampp\htdocs\acme\files

C:\xampp\htdocs\files

Which one is it? Earlier you said you used C:\xampp\htdocs\files as the file dir path, and you said it that was returned by the diagnostics. If the location is C:\xampp\htdocs\acme\files, then you should be using that in TXP’s preferences.

#45 2010-10-06 18:48:53

laptophobo
Website

Hi Els. That was the first thing I had tried. Using my WS_FTP program, I tried to chmod the file, but since it sits in my computer and not on the Unix server, that option was not available to me.

Maybe you know a work-around?

Thanks.

#46 2010-10-06 20:16:21

els

Hmm… I was almost certain I used to do it that way, but then I haven’t been using Windows for a long time. Sorry. But I suppose you should be able to do it from the command line?

BTW don’t overlook Jukka’s post.

#47 2010-10-06 22:35:30

redbot
Plugin Author

Probably I’m missing something obvious but, just to be sure, did you try to right-click on the folder > choose “properties” > uncheck “read only” (which is what I think Jukka is suggesting)?
It works for me.

#48 2010-10-06 23:52:00

laptophobo
Website

Yes! Jukka fixed it. (He pointed out the obvious to me.) Thanks so much.

Remember Textpattern newbies, confirm your file paths (over and over)!

Board footer