Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-02-07 11:10:35

stellularx

Re: Moving installation to new host, importing database and MySQL error

If I do a fresh clean install? How do I do it while having my backed up databases still intact?

#14 2009-02-07 14:44:53

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Here is what I would do in your situation (if I have understood it correctly, which I might not have):

Make sure I have a mysqldump of the existing site (the one I want to transfer) on my own machine. Open it in a text editor to make sure everything seems to be there. Do as Els suggested, dumping only the tables. Make sure the “drop table” statement gets added.

On the new host, install a new Textpattern site. That is, upload a fresh copy of the textpattern files from textpattern.com (same version as the site I’m trying to move) to the new server and go through the basic installation process.

Once I have that working, I know I have the db and config.php set up correctly.

Now import the mysqldump file. Immediately go to /textpattern/ on the new server, set the site URL correctly in Preferences (and maybe the time zone if the new host is in a different one than the old host), then check Diagnostics and clean up any warnings or errors.

FTP over the remaining files (images, etc), making sure NOT to overwrite the new config.php.

Code is topiary

#15 2009-02-08 07:31:19

stellularx

Okay. I think I’ve set it up already. :)

Now, in the diagnostics area, it says: File directory path is not writable: /usr/local/tmp
Temporary directory path is not writable: /usr/local/tmp

What directory path should I chmod to 777?

#16 2009-02-08 07:33:23

stellularx

Also, I just realized that upon installation, my home page (index.php) works but the sections from my past host does not work anymore.

For example:
http://nameofsite.com works.

But
http://nameofsite.com/section does not.

#17 2009-02-08 13:40:45

els

stellularx wrote:

Now, in the diagnostics area, it says: File directory path is not writable: /usr/local/tmp
Temporary directory path is not writable: /usr/local/tmp

You need to change the paths in Advanced preferences:
files: /path/to/site-root/files
temp: /path/to/site-root/textpattern/tmp

http://nameofsite.com/section does not

Is permanent link mode set to something other than messy? Then clean urls might not work. Try setting it to messy, namofsite.com/?s=section should work then. You can have a look at this thread to find a way to get clean urls to work.

#18 2010-03-14 01:31:25

laptophobo
Website

OMG this web server installation process is insane! (Ok, I’ve gotten that off my chest.)
I’m hoping that someone can provide me with advice on how to transfer my new TXP site from Local Host to my web server.

My web server already has the MySQL module set up in it (that wasn’t hard) and I’m able to access the MyPHP Admin screen by going to: http://www.mywebsite.org/phpmyadmin/ (then logging in). Now that I see this page, I have no idea what to do with it. I did, however FTP the entire Textpattern folder to my root directory, now I’m trying to get the two to play nice.

It was recommended to me to backup my TXP database using the plug in: rss_admin_db_manager. However, I could not locate step-by-step instructions on how to 1. Backup my database, and tables (huh?). and 2. How to important them into my web server.

I have the book “Textpattern Solutions” but they are only helpful on Local Host installation.

I’m sure that there’s an easy way of moving my TXP site from my computer to my web server, right?

Thanks so much for your time.

The TXP Installation resource: http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Detailed_Installation_Instructions could not help me yet since it assumes that i can login to the TXP “set up” via my server.

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#19 2010-03-14 02:37:56

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

laptophobo wrote:

My web server already has the MySQL module set up in it (that wasn’t hard) and I’m able to access the MyPHP Admin screen by going to: http://www.mywebsite.org/phpmyadmin/ (then logging in). Now that I see this page, I have no idea what to do with it. I did, however FTP the entire Textpattern folder to my root directory, now I’m trying to get the two to play nice.

If you haven’t already done so, you need to create a new database on the live server. You should be able to do this through your web hosting account control panel. You might also be able to do so directly in phpMyAdmin; will depend on your hosting account configuration.

It was recommended to me to backup my TXP database using the plug in: rss_admin_db_manager. However, I could not locate step-by-step instructions on how to 1. Backup my database, and tables (huh?). and 2. How to important them into my web server.

What are you using to manage databases on your local server? Use that to do a full MySQL dump. Then you can import that file into your new live database using phpMyAdmin.

Note that there are some crucial differences between local and live versions. Namely the config file (/textpattern/config.php) and some site preferences. Once you have created your new database, edit config.php on the live site with the correct db settings, and also the correct file paths. When you have the site transferred you’ll need to run diagnostics and correct those prefs involving file paths.

Code is topiary

#20 2010-03-14 02:59:06

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

laptophobo wrote:

1. Backup my database, and tables (huh?)

Do MySQL dump from your localhost (in phpMyAdmin Export). Or give MySQL command:

mysqldump --opt --user=MyUsername --password=MyPassword database > ToWhereWhatFileHuh

2. How to important them into my web server.

Helpful link Textbook / Moving Installation from one Host to Another in addition what Jeff said.

Basically it just involves uploading one file and changing some rows in /textpattern/config.php.

#21 2010-03-14 05:40:40

laptophobo
Website

I’m trying to follow the TXP installation instructions (http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Moving_Installation_from_one_Host_to_Another) but there appears to be gaps in the info. For one thing, it says that in the installation of the new data base that I’m to create a “First User” name. There was no such options. And, it assumes that I’m hosting on DreamHost, which I’m not. So, I moved on.

Steps taken:
1. Went to my Local Host’s My PHPMyadmin and made a backup of my site (it made a file called localhost.sql).
2. Went to my web server account (www.mywebsite.org/phpmyadmin/) and created a “New Database”. This took me to a new screen where it states “No tables found in database”. Below is the option: “Create new table on database (name of my database)” with two fields: “Name” and “Number of Fields”. I suppose it wants me to use the same name for “Name” that I’m calling my database, but what “Number of Fields” should I put in?

Once this is resolved, will the instructions afterward actually work? Is there a better way? What should I do?

Thanks much.

Last edited by laptophobo (2010-03-14 05:43:29)

#22 2010-03-14 08:01:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

laptophobo wrote:

Went to my web server account (www.mywebsite.org/phpmyadmin/) and created a “New Database”. This took me to a new screen where it states “No tables found in database”. Below is the option: “Create new table on database (name of my database)” with two fields: “Name” and “Number of Fields”. I suppose it wants me to use the same name for “Name” that I’m calling my database, but what “Number of Fields” should I put in?

No, you don’t create the tables manually, you just upload the dump.

#23 2010-03-14 09:29:25

laptophobo
Website

I don’t see that as an option. Here’s what I’ve done:

• There’s a list of “data bases” within the Databases drop-down window (cdcol, informaiton_schema, mysql, phpmyadmin, test, textpattern). I chose only “textpattern”
• A new page open with a list of txp tables. I Clicked All (link is at bottom of page). But I do not see a “dump” button or anything like that.
• I then selected the “Export” tab on top.
• I selected the settings per Textpattern’s installation guide.
• Save file.

I’m a newbie at this.

#24 2010-03-14 09:41:36

laptophobo
Website

Nevermind. All is now working. (I’ll post details for others soon.)

Board footer