Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2013-10-02 10:36:45

springworks
Website

Re: Best Host hosting companies

colak wrote:

Thanks Steve,as TXD is slowly and surely is driving us away, it is good to check out the alternatives.

No problem.

Another good host you might want to look at that doesn’t use CPanel is TSOHost. Their cloud hosting is good value and very fast. Their control panel is not quite as powerful as WebFaction’s, but their support is fast and responsive.

They are UK-based and are in the middle of building their own data centre so they will own all of their own infrastructure, which is not exactly common amongst web hosting companies, many of whom are effectively resellers of the services of other company’s hardware. To me that simplifies the supplier chain, which leads to more accountability and a better and faster resolution in the event of any problems.

#26 2013-10-02 16:50:22

bici
Website Mastodon

It’s Webfaction all the way for me.

I wonder why they don’t offer one-click installation of Textpattern?
in any event, now that i have sussed out the interface the services seems rock-solid

Last edited by bici (2013-10-02 16:51:03)

…. texted postive

#27 2013-10-02 16:54:40

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote:

Thanks Steve,as TXD is slowly and surely is driving us away, it is good to check out the alternatives.

I am very comfortably ensconced on Textdrive and don’t feel like there is any attempt to force us out. I love their second-to-none CP : Webmin. And I think their future is bright.

But i am wanting to find an alternative as i have come to realize that I shouldn’t have all my eggs in one basket.

…. texted postive

#28 2013-10-02 18:31:14

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote:

I am very comfortably ensconced on Textdrive and don’t feel like there is any attempt to force us out. I love their second-to-none CP : Webmin. And I think their future is bright.

Although they’ve been OK with me, some friends haven’t been migrated and they had no response from their support. Also their paid section is yet to take off and their front page still says: Returning Summer 2013. Summer is over and we are steadily moving into winter. Unless they launch for paid customers, or Dean has become a billionaire, their months are measured… Just my bleak opinion. Having said that I am happy with their up times.

Re their CP I hardly use it as the sites seem to be working just fine:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#29 2013-10-02 18:53:37

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote:

bici wrote:

Although they’ve been OK with me, some friends haven’t been migrated and they had no response from their support. Also their paid section is yet to take off and their front page still says: Returning Summer 2013. Summer is over and we are steadily moving into winter. Unless they launch for paid customers, or Dean has become a billionaire, their months are measured… Just my bleak opinion. Having said that I am happy with their up times.

Just curious … those friends that haven’t been migrated were they on the old FreeBSD servers by any chance? I have no sympathy for those folks as we had been told to migrate over five years ago! ;-)

as for their website… i have been monitoring that for some time … esp. since Summer 2013 is definitely over, Wish they would update that message.

I take small comfort that TxD is not alone with Summer 2013 messages —- also these guys: http://arcustech.com/

…. texted postive

#30 2013-10-02 19:28:55

jacques
Website

Is webmin free a requirement?

#31 2013-10-02 19:41:18

jacques
Website

bici wrote:

colak wrote:

bici wrote:

Just curious … those friends that haven’t been migrated were they on the old FreeBSD servers by any chance? I have no sympathy for those folks as we had been told to migrate over five years ago! ;-)

as for their website… i have been monitoring that for some time … esp. since Summer 2013 is definitely over, Wish they would update that message.

I take small comfort that TxD is not alone with Summer 2013 messages —- also these guys: http://arcustech.com/

I think Dean may be referring to summer 2013 in the southern hemisphere. ;)

#32 2013-10-02 19:43:49

bici
Website Mastodon

jacques wrote:

Is webmin free a requirement?

greatly helps

…. texted postive

#33 2013-10-02 19:46:30

bici
Website Mastodon

jacques wrote:

well played!

…. texted postive

#34 2013-10-02 20:03:24

jacques
Website

bici wrote:

jacques wrote:

well played!

On that note, Spring arrived a month late in Cape Town this year….

#35 2013-10-03 05:44:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jacques wrote:

Hi jacques

I don’t know what server they were on but I think that the main domain was katodrytis.com. I also don’t know if they migrated once they were on txd1 to Joyent but as I am the one who recommended the package all those years back I can feel for him. He is not web-technologies literate so my guess is that he left his txp powered sites where they were.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#36 2013-10-03 20:21:03

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote:

BICI wrote:

Hi jacquese Bici
I don’t know what server they were on but I think that the main domain was katodrytis.com. I also don’t know if they migrated once they were on txd1 to Joyent but as I am the one who recommended the package all those years back I can feel for him. He is not web-technologies literate so my guess is that he left his txp powered sites where they were.

I wrote the comment. katodrytis.com is currently parked in sandiego (207.7.108.53). I am sympathetic to his situation, but if he was in doubt about how to migrate he should have contacted you to help or steer him to the right resources.

In looking at his site it looks like he should be able to recover all of it from here: http://web.archive.org/web/20110208023108/http://katodrytis.com/
He would in all likelihood require some assistance .

In any event this conversation should probably best be explored on the discuss.textdrive.com forums.

…. texted postive

Board footer