Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-06 11:53:42

Timid&friendly
Website

Best Host hosting companies

Hey everyone.

I would like ask everyone which host they use and or recommend. which is the best. Would be handy to have a resource like this by the forum.
1. best for Speed
2. best for support
3. best for ease of use
4. best value for money

I have been using dreamhost used to be excellent, really fast, great support, and easy to use, but the last year it has become really slow and i am looking to move all my accounts. marks out of 10.

Dreamost.com
1. Speed 2
2. Support 9
3. Ease of use 7
4. Value for money 7

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#2 2009-01-06 12:35:45

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Best Host hosting companies

For comparing hosting services I have found HostJury to be a pretty useful resource.

Code is topiary

#3 2009-01-06 14:21:51

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

hi j soo is that site updated at all? they are listing textdrive but not joyent.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2009-01-06 18:45:16

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Seems to be reasonably active, but largely relies on user contributions. I’m sure it isn’t comprehensive, but it’s the best hosting comparison site I’ve found. Be glad to hear of any others.

The Netcraft uptime tracker also seems useful.

Code is topiary

#5 2009-01-06 20:33:23

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

The best hosting company, would be your own, were it for decent upload speeds.

For most of my online life, I’ve hosted my own sites off of whatever hardware I designated to run 24/7. There are downsides, I mean you need a decent battery backup, you must keep offline backups and a spare server at the ready just in case.

There have been two times that I’ve ventured away from self hosting. The first time I decided to try Site5, what a disappointment that was, I felt like the network was run by ADHD kids that had forgotten to take their meds. The second time, which is where I’m at now, is DreamHost. So far, I feel like they don’t need medication and are a very polite group of guys when they respond in a timely manner to my support requests.

The day my local cable or DSL provider gets a clue, and starts offering decent upload speeds, without charging you through the bloody nose for it, then I’ll return to self hosting. Till then, I’ll keep my sites running out there, somewhere, oh how I miss them.

#6 2009-06-12 08:20:34

Timid&friendly
Website

I’m thinking of switching to SteadFast Networks , cos dreamhost is driving me crazy with it’s slowness. But steadfast use Litespeed Web Servers

1. Can anyone tell if if they use Steadfast and what their experinces are?.
2. Will the .htaccess file work the same for so that i can use clean urls?

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#7 2009-06-15 14:49:42

goncalo.dumas
Website

Hello,

It’s been a wile since I post here but I too happen to be looking for an cheap and reliable host.
I started using Gandi.net back in 2007, as a registrar for my domain. I though it would be good since it was (is) the registrar Dean used for www.textism.com.

By that time I was using the Textdrive/Joyent as a host and all was working fine, but the 5 domains limitation was not enough for my testing.

Then Gandi.net released the beta hosting plans witch were very cheap at the time: 7,5€/month (I think), but since it left the beta phase the prices doubled.

Gandi.net is by far the best host I had, but I’m looking for something cheaper. One runner-up is Servage.net witch is different from all mainstream companies as it offers a small price tag, excelent support and a powerfull control panel.

I’m sorry to see Joyent doesn’t update their shared hosting services since 2007. If they would bump that 5 domain/5 databases limit to, say, 15 domain/15 database I’d be running to them again.

Last edited by goncalo.dumas (2009-06-16 10:17:36)

#8 2009-07-04 03:18:14

kvnmcwebn
Website

goncalo.dumas wrote:

Hello,

By that time I was using the Textdrive/Joyent as a host and all was working fine, but the 5 domains limitation was not enough for my testing.

I’m sorry to see Joyent doesn’t update their shared hosting services since 2007. If they would bump that 5 domain/5 databases limit to, say, 15 domain/15 database I’d be running to them again.*

Yes that’s why i left joyent as well plus other reasons.

I don’t see how you could beat media temple grid service though for speed(ok) support(good) and up time(very good) + real nice admin interface… and most of all price, theorectically up to 100 sites for $200 per anum.. been with them for year now.

I said this before on here but why not buy a month of hosting from the company your looking at to try them out first with a test site. save yourself the hassle and money of putting a site up somewhere dodgy and then having to shift it.

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2009-07-08 01:18:33)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#9 2009-07-20 14:38:40

goncalo.dumas
Website

I found it!

I was introduced to csoft last week by a co-worker but only today was able to log on to their demonstration account and I must tell you I was amazed by the quality of their service and documentation.

Remember old TextDrive, I think it’s better! At least by comparing their low priced products.

Go see for your self: http://www.csoft.net and fill-in for a demo account.

Last edited by goncalo.dumas (2009-07-20 17:01:50)

#10 2009-08-05 23:13:44

nabrown78
Website

Yup – I’ve a couple of sites on hostgator and have been pretty pleased with the performance, control panel, and customer service. Surprisingly, I also have many sites on godaddy and have had very little trouble there as well, and you can’t beat the price.

#11 2009-08-11 08:55:34

pencilneck

It’s Webfaction all the way for me.

1. It’s good value.

2. Like a VPS.

3. One click installs of Django, Drupal, Zope etc…

4. Very diligent and clever people running it.

I’m very happy with them.

Last edited by wet (2009-08-21 14:39:55)

#12 2009-08-11 12:14:20

joebaich
Website

Pencilneck said

It’s Webfaction all the way for me.

Webfaction is a good and innovative host. However, they deliberately do not run PHP Sendmail as a security measure so one has to jump through a number of hoops to get TXP and TXP plug-ins that use the PHP mail() function to work as intended out of the box. They are not alone in that respect, other hosts take similar measures.

I have a Web Faction account but recently migrated two TXP based sites I was building away from them because they didn’t have enough email server capacity to cope well with their everyday load. This made testing the specific measures to provide a Sendmail alternative too time consuming and uncertain.

Last edited by joebaich (2009-08-11 12:18:58)

Board footer