Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-11-20 01:25:40

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: punbb 1.3

The one downside about migration to Phorum is that all topics and posts lose their original id numbers in the database, which means there’s no way to redirect users to the new url if they arrive via Google or other external sites. If we had been starting from scratch, I would have chosen Phorum. Destry may not have heard of it, but it really has been around a long time, is actively maintained, and is the forum software used by MySQL.

Upgrading to 1.3 or swapping to FluxBB is probably a workable solution to bring in some much needed moderation features, and then extensions can be worked on to bring in other stuff that’s desired, such as a per-post formatting option, like you can do in Vanilla. For that you don’t need to worry about converting anything, all you would do is keep all existing posts as Textile. When folks edit posts they could change their formatting if they so desired.

#26 2008-11-20 13:08:52

Destry
Website

It sounds like punBB 1.3 it is, then. So, co-managers, what’s the next step? he-he!

I am certainly unaware of many things, Mary. That’s one great thing about being a remora around here. :)

#27 2009-04-09 17:43:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

the recent wave of spam messages makes the upgrade to 1.3.x more urgent. The annoucement earlier today of the imminent release of 1.3.3 comes as a reminder of how behind updates in this forum have been. I know that an upgrade will not be easy as textile will need to be enabled as well as any other mods but the new version comes with a number of plugins – including subforums which might make the transition easier.

Having said that, my main concern is the continuous spam attacks which I am not sure as to how they could be resolved. A suggestion would be to allow moderators to delete posts from any forum. In this way, the spam posts will probably be deleted within minutes.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#28 2009-04-09 18:33:47

maverick
Website

Agreed. The spam indicates some sort of change is needed, whether on the software side or in the moderation side.

If upgrading the software will help the moderators, that’s a huge plus and let’s do it! If making a major change is the best strategy for the future, let’s bite the bullet (does that slang communicate accurately in an international community?) and do it.

That said, I realize its easier said than done. Since modifying php likely required, and I’m not a php coder, I not much use as a volunteer. So I’ll be quiet now. :-)

#29 2009-04-09 21:31:33

els

colak wrote:

A suggestion would be to allow moderators to delete posts from any forum. In this way, the spam posts will probably be deleted within minutes.

That would at least be a good temporary solution. But we’d still have to report the user, because moderators can’t ban or delete users…

#30 2009-04-10 01:58:04

colak
Admin

Els wrote:

That would at least be a good temporary solution. But we’d still have to report the user, because moderators can’t ban or delete users…

True. One way is to provide a link to the user’s profile in a report to the admins.

Last edited by colak (2009-04-10 01:58:20)

Yiannis
——————————

#31 2009-04-10 04:06:08

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

colak wrote:

True. One way is to provide a link to the user’s profile in a report to the admins.

Thanks for your effort, but adding the user’s profile link to reports is not required. It’s just two clicks from any report, and the intruder is blasted.

#32 2009-04-10 17:07:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

A suggestion would be to allow moderators to delete posts from any forum. In this way, the spam posts will probably be deleted within minutes.

That’s a good solution.

I don’t know if the Akismet plugin is running here, but it works pretty good on my PunBB forums, with the mods I’ve made.

#33 2009-04-10 18:22:20

els

wet wrote:

Thanks for your effort, but adding the user’s profile link to reports is not required. It’s just two clicks from any report, and the intruder is blasted.

But wouldn’t it mean that we can’t delete spam posts? because if we do, how would you find the user? That’s why I’ve been using this (first report and point to the user, then delete the post):

One way is to provide a link to the user’s profile in a report to the admins.

If moderators can take care of spam, it wouldn’t all depend on your presence on the forum!

#34 2009-04-11 06:25:50

colak
Admin

Els wrote:

If moderators can take care of spam, it wouldn’t all depend on your presence on the forum!

This is a good point as it will free the admins to work on more important issues, like the next txp release. We absolutely understand that it takes little time to delete spam and ban users but as our current admins all reside in Europe, there are windows for for spammers left open because of the time difference.

If we were permitted tomoderate all forums, and take care of this part of the project, a headache will be lifted.

Recently there is a trend in the forum to report the spam and then post in the thread that the “spam was reported”. This creates extra noise which is unnecessary. If this task was passed on to the moderators, this side effect will also be minimised.

Yiannis
——————————

#35 2009-04-11 12:16:44

keith
Website

colak wrote:

Recently there is a trend in the forum to report the spam and then post in the thread that the “spam was reported”. This creates extra noise which is unnecessary.

So – given the current state of play – you’d prefer several reports to be made to Admins of each spam posting because none of know that someone else has already reported it?

If there was a Weird… smiley, I’d be clicking it about now.

Last edited by keith (2009-04-11 12:17:48)

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#36 2009-04-11 13:44:50

colak
Admin

keith wrote:

colak wrote:

So – given the current state of play – you’d prefer several reports to be made to Admins of each spam posting because none of know that someone else has already reported it?

I’m by no means in charge here but I would rather have multiple reports which are easy to zap – even by moderators.

The current trends leave traces like this which are irrelevant to the posts.

Last edited by colak (2009-04-11 13:49:29)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer