Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2004-03-17 01:17:46

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Movable Type Import 0.4

In the interest of facilitating even more migration from Movabletype to Textpattern, I put together a (very ugly) script to generate a list of .htaccess redirects that will send all requests for individual MT entries to the corresponding Textpattern entry. At first I thought this could be done very mechanically, but there’s not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between MT entries and imported Textpattern entries (because of deleted entries or multiple MT weblogs). I’ve used Pix’s import script, but I don’t think there’s any reason this won’t work after using Dean’s importer, because this dumb thing just matches by title.

It’s ugly but it seems to have worked for me.

Caveats: 1) It only works with archives of the format “/archives/000001.html” — that fancy search-engine-friendly filename won’t work; 2) it will generate duplicate redirects if you have more than one match per title, so watch out for those; 3) I’m a social scientist, not a programmer.

The script and a couple more notes are available here. I’d be interested to hear if this is useful to anybody else!

Last edited by schussat (2004-03-17 01:18:54)

-Alan

#38 2004-03-17 03:19:55

zoe

pix,

Thanks for the offer, but I got it worked out. I didn’t have alot of entries, so I just manually converted them.

Z

#39 2004-03-26 11:57:06

mearso
Website

I get this error when I run the MT import script:

Warning: Wrong parameter count for mysql_connect() in /home/mearso/public_html/newblog/textpattern/txp_mt_import_04.php on line 35 mt database values don

#40 2004-04-13 15:15:49

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Yes, this needs to be addressed.

text*

#41 2004-04-26 17:16:57

spyke
Website

I tried this (I SOOOOO want to switch to txp SOON!!!) but….

I didn’t get any error messages at all.

It only imported SOME entries, skipped a fewm, imported totally at random

Screwed up the dates for the entries it DID import

Imported the comments nicely, even comments for the posts that it didn’t import (?) – the comments made for posts that didn’t get imported had a little “post deleted” thingie next to them

All this leaves me basically sitting here and going “huh?” – any ideas??

#42 2004-04-26 17:40:34

spyke
Website

Oh – after looking at schussat’s post i realized that it’s the same problem for me

All of the entries that were NOT imported had image code in them – for me that’s a LOT of posts…

I thought of trying pix’s script but… it’s gone?

#43 2004-04-26 18:16:44

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

> spyke wrote:

> I thought of trying pix’s script but… it’s gone?

I have a copy of Pix’s script v2.0. I can send you a copy. (I assume/hope Pix wouldn’t mind… I doublechecked, and he released it under a creative commons license that allows for it.) I guess that if Pix has really disappeared, I could host the script, too.

-Alan

#44 2004-04-26 18:22:36

spyke
Website

Thanks for the offer – this will give me a chance to see if this is what i need at least… (until the php script is fixed ;) )

sent you an email with my contact details.

#45 2004-04-26 22:41:05

valdok
Website

I think there needs to be a good MT import script that imports from a file… not a database. My host only allowed one database, and I wiped it when I installed TP… I tried to download pix’s version but I couldn’t connect.

This is frustrating because I have a little over 200 entries… and I’m not doing them all by hand.

#46 2004-04-27 00:36:42

indent
Website

Why don’t you take the existing import script and try to make it work for files, rather than sitting around and demanding such a beast :)

At the very least, you’ll learn stuff™, and you might even help out Dean, or a whole bunch of TXP users with your code.

VC#72, waiting patiently for /section/category/article-title/ based URLs :)

#47 2004-04-27 00:51:04

LisaJill
Website

Hey all,

I’ve been playing around with textpattern and moving my site over from MT.

I imported one weblog (I’m currently running approximately 8 weblogs….) but it imported all categories; that’s not a problem, as I see that will happen. The problem is that the posts are not associated with their categories. For this weblog not a problem. Later, for my main weblog, major problem.

But the big problem that I’m facing right now is that the categories it created are not showing up anywhere. They don’t show up in the edit categories screen, nor in the drop downs for the posts. On top of that, it won’t let me create them because it says they already exist.

The only place they do show up is in the drop down on the open page.

Anyway, now that I’ve made this mess grins without any mysql knowledge at all, how can I safely clean up these categories so that they’re not so messed up?

If it matters, I assigned all the posts to a different section than articles, but the section is set up properly and I can access it.

I hope I haven’t confused anyone too much, thanks for all of your help. =)

(btw: main site, mt powerd: http://www.lisa-jill.com; textpattern site, not public: http://www.lisa-jill.com/textpattern)

thanks all =)

Board footer