Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-10-17 17:05:32

jstubbs
Website

Re: Best practices for managing CSS with Textpattern

Bloke wrote:

On a slightly OT but semi-related note, another firefox extension that I’ve heard good things about but never tried is Dustme selectors which will allegedly crawl a site/page for unused rules and allow you to clean up some of the inevitable 100 billion redundant CSS rules in a typical project. Yay!

This particular extension does not work in FF3 – anyone happen to know if there is another extension that finds unused CSS? Any tool that does this would be useful.

#14 2008-10-17 19:35:32

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Does anyone here use ako_cssParse? In my first tests, it seems to pass in my default CSS regardless of what I say in the name= attribute. Is it compatible with rvm_css?

#15 2008-10-17 19:48:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

anyone happen to know if there is another extension that finds unused CSS? Any tool that does this would be useful.

Darnit, shame it doesn’t work in FF3, it’d be mighty handy.

I did find a ruby script that purportedly does the same thing but it’s a bit command-liney to run. Mind you, it won’t exactly be used every day, so perhaps this overhead is worth getting your hands mucky.

johnstephens

Never used it, sorry. But judging by the forum posts, it was very work in progress, and rvm_css grabs the files directly so my gut feeling is you’re out of luck :-(

Last edited by Bloke (2008-10-17 19:52:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2008-10-17 20:25:17

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, Stef. I don’t feel unlucky: I can still manage those declarations using a style element in the head form.

#17 2008-10-18 00:21:56

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Jonathan – I have Dustme installed in FF3 and seems to work fine. The only problem is that it requires a sitemap file to be used for a “crawl”, but you can go through your site pages one at a time and it slowly eliminates used selectors from the list as you go. Not as efficient as a crawl but it gets the job done.

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-10-18 00:23:30)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#18 2008-10-18 00:22:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote:

my gut feeling is you’re out of luck :-(

or maybe not… :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer