Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-10-17 19:35:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [wiki] Tags Reference

Destry

I’m continuing to wade through the tag conversion and have a couple of questions to probe your seemingly limitless wiki knowledge bank:

1. What is [[zh-tw:txp:tag name /]] in the footer of every tag? I guess it’s something to do with languages/translation because there are other ones like [[fr:txp:tag name /]] on other pages. Is that the correct syntax since all the tags have now been renamed without their txp: prefix and without a trailing / or should they read [[zh-tw:tag_name]]?
  2. What is the best mechanism do you think for indicating an attribute is deprecated (e.g. the align attribute of the image tag)? Some colouration? Strikethrough of some portion of the attribute? (or strike all of it?) Are there some CSS rules or some wiki syntaxy thing we can apply to deprecated tags?

Thanks for any clarification on these things.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-10-17 19:36:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2008-10-17 20:26:12

mrdale
Website

Gotta say this is looking muy swanky guys. Good work.

#39 2008-10-17 22:38:15

Destry
Website

Thanks, Dale.

Bloke wrote:

One bizarre anomaly in the old alphabetic listing is that css comes after custom field shrug. In the new listing by letter it’s in the right order. Must be a case sensitivity issue I guess, but nothing to worry about.

The old list was alphabetized by humans. The new one by wiki. :)

is the syntax one [[category:Something Tags]] for each category?

That’s exactly right, and you add such tags to any page that belongs in that category…as many as is appropriate.

Els wrote:

Don’t expect me to start right away because I have no wiki knowledge at all and will have to figure it out first ;)

If you know HTML, you know wiki, even if you don’t know it. :)

Bloke wrote:

What is [[zh-tw:txp:tag name /]] in the footer of every tag? I guess it’s something to do with languages/translation because there are other ones like [[fr:txp:tag name /]] on other pages. Is that the correct syntax since all the tags have now been renamed without their txp: prefix and without a trailing / or should they read [[zh-tw:tag_name]]?

Yes, they are language link tags used to mirror the English pages with their translated equivalents (they are what make the respective language link appear in the right column). Many such pages are old and need updated (meaning translated pages recreated with accurate titles following the revised Translation instructions, and their respective content made current), especially since the recent English IA changes.

I want to make that as easy as possible for translators to do (thus the new series of translation help docs I recently wrote), but I’m not going to actually do those changes myself. That’s really for translators to follow up with…but yes, the pages should rightly be recreated with the new titles as you noted.

What is the best mechanism do you think for indicating an attribute is deprecated (e.g. the align attribute of the image tag)? Some colouration? Strikethrough of some portion of the attribute? (or strike all of it?) Are there some CSS rules or some wiki syntaxy thing we can apply to deprecated tags?

Glad you asked that question. My aim for the wiki is to separate content from presentation as much as possible (for all the good reasons). I’ve started some Authoring, Collaboration and Presentation docs (see those sections under help:Contents, which are still in progress) to indicate what exists already, but authors are encouraged to speak up just like your doing now to put light on new presentation (style) needs that we can address and add to the help docs for reference.

In this case, what we probably need is some coloration and some associated communication that makes the situation clear (i.e., the att is deprecated). What about a superscript class that puts a “deprecated” flag to the right of the attribute? You can then add a wiki link to the “deprecated” text that points to a “Deprecated” section in the Tag Reference discussion page where the explanation is provided (you might edit that explanation as needed).

I’ve set it up and added it where you indicated, what do you think?

=========

P.S. Help -> New Accounts

Last edited by Destry (2008-10-17 22:45:44)

#40 2008-10-17 23:05:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for the answers; clears stuff up.

Destry wrote:

That’s really for translators to follow up with…but yes, the pages should rightly be recreated with the new titles as you noted.

OK, so I’ll leave them pointing to the ‘wrong’ — out-of-date in terms of content (possibly) and IA (almost certainly) — so that translators can get at the old content and update at will.

What about a superscript class that puts a “deprecated” flag to the right of the attribute?

Works for me. Nice and obvious, thanks. If I find any more such tags I can copy and paste from the image tag :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#41 2008-10-17 23:22:20

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote:

OK, so I’ll leave them pointing to the ‘wrong’ — out-of-date in terms of content (possibly) and IA (almost certainly) — so that translators can get at the old content and update at will.

Yep. Problems are more likely to get noticed that way. Probably need to make a targeted post in this forum too, but I’ll get to that later. (The whole translation thing is a pretty loose affair.)

Works for me. Nice and obvious, thanks. If I find any more such tags I can copy and paste from the image tag :-)

And just documented in help too — help:Inline Text Presentation

#42 2008-10-18 20:21:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Urk, what categor(y|ies) does permlink come under? Article? Structural? Navigational? Others? (here’s the current category list and the proposed categories)

Feelings, anyone?

EDIT: urk2: what are the chances of me posting this at 21:21:21… *twilight zone music*

Last edited by Bloke (2008-10-18 21:08:19)

#43 2008-10-18 21:07:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’ve just gone through and fixed up the links in the slightly unwieldy Attributes cross-reference page. Gotta love search and replace in text editors :-) In the process I promoted the headings from Level 3 to Level 2 to give each attribute a better separation. [EDIT: I kept a copy of the original page in case I fecked it up]

So the links are fine, but the content itself needs checking. It’d be nice if it could update itself based on where it was linked from; a bit like the categories do. I don’t relish the task of going through that page and making sure all the attributes have been covered from the correct tags *shudder*

I do like the fact that this page links to the HTML spec and has things like “Recommended that you use CSS via class or id attributes instead” against generally deprecated attributes like ‘align’. But all the while I’m editing tag pages and linking to it — ignoring the fact the content may be wrong — at the back of my mind is this niggling sensation that if I don’t start doing it now piece by piece, tag by tag, it’s going to appear even more daunting later.

In the absence of some clever wiki widget to automate this page, does anyone have any cool ideas on how to lay this page out a bit better so it’s actually more usable from both an end-user perspective and a wiki editing perspective? For starters, is it possible to add some simple auto-generated alphabetic jump-nav at the top? And perhaps some back-to-the-top style links after each attribute so the behemoth amount of scrollling is lessened?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address…

Last edited by Bloke (2008-10-18 21:09:50)

#44 2008-10-18 21:23:47

els

Bloke wrote:

Urk, what categor(y|ies) does permlink come under? Article? Structural? Navigational? Others?

Article and navigation for sure. I’m not so sure about structural… Here’s what I had in mind (but that doesn’t necessarily have to be true):

Article: tags that represent a field in the textpattern table.
Navigation: tags that (can) create hyperlinks.
Structural: tags that are used to ‘group’ content:

• section
  • category, category1, category2
  • author
  • posted

If anyone else thinks this makes sense then I don’t think permlink should be there.

#45 2008-10-18 21:27:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Els wrote:

Here’s what I had in mind <snip>

I like your thinking. Done

EDIT: And I’ve put a little description using your words under the category names, so that we don’t forget what each category should contain :-)

EDIT2: which means that <txp:section /> is technically a Navigation tag and a Structural tag, sicne it has a link attribute and can be used as a container (which I never knew!)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-10-18 21:37:50)

#46 2008-10-18 21:37:08

els

Wow you’re fast! I’d give you a hand if I had a login… ;)

#47 2008-10-18 22:41:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

About 20% of the way there with the tag conversion but I’m all wikied out for the evening. Best typo of the night:

<txp:link_to_perv />

:-D

#48 2008-10-19 00:28:02

Destry
Website

You are the man of the week, Bloke !!!

Els wrote:

Wow you’re fast! I’d give you a hand if I had a login… ;)

I assumed Patrick was on it. He’s a busy guy, though. I’ll need an email address before I can create you an account.

Last edited by Destry (2008-10-19 00:29:25)

Board footer