Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2010-07-26 13:17:09

keoshi

Re: [request] iPhone & Txp: a killer application

Quick question: would the community (you) be willing to pay a small share of the grand total that is required to develop an iPhone app?

#50 2010-07-26 13:19:49

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

yes, if it was an app in the itunes store, for sure!

#51 2010-07-26 13:24:12

keoshi

ecklesroad wrote:

yes, if it was an app in the itunes store, for sure!

I’ve been asking for quotes and drawing a couple of wireframes to make it happen. The only thing missing is the doe.

#52 2010-07-26 13:25:18

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

Who here has a developer license?

#53 2010-07-26 14:18:34

keoshi

ecklesroad wrote:

Who here has a developer license?

I don’t think anyone has, at least that’s what I’m getting from the comments I’ve been reading.
I’ve been asking for quotes to a few companies, if anyone has suggestions I’d appreciate them :)

#54 2010-07-26 14:52:50

mrtunes
Website

i have no problem paying for a txp app. i have bought a ton of useless ones in the past, so i’d rather buy something useful.

what would be the factors that would increase the amount i’d pay? media uploading into the post, spellcheck (great britain), and post-to-twitter integration.

#55 2010-07-26 14:59:22

keoshi

mrtunes wrote:

i have no problem paying for a txp app. i have bought a ton of useless ones in the past, so i’d rather buy something useful.
what would be the factors that would increase the amount i’d pay? media uploading into the post, spellcheck (great britain), and post-to-twitter integration.

What I asked is if you’re willing to pay to get it developed, not to buy it on iTunes (it would be free then).

Last edited by keoshi (2010-07-26 17:29:50)

#56 2010-07-26 16:58:11

darnell

Hey Keoshi!

I was wondering how far you got as far as fundraising goes. I already wrote a post of your attempt to create an iPhone app on the Blog Herald, and I was wondering if any other members have offered you any assistance in building the app?

Anyways, keep me updated as far as your efforts go, as Textpattern is one of the last “great” CMS/blog platforms lacking a dedicated iPhone app (as Drupal apps are starting to appear, as well as Joomla too).

#57 2010-07-26 17:29:23

keoshi

darnell wrote:

Hey Keoshi!
I was wondering how far you got as far as fundraising goes. I already wrote a post of your attempt to create an iPhone app on the Blog Herald, and I was wondering if any other members have offered you any assistance in building the app?
Anyways, keep me updated as far as your efforts go, as Textpattern is one of the last “great” CMS/blog platforms lacking a dedicated iPhone app (as Drupal apps are starting to appear, as well as Joomla too).

Hey Darnell,

These last few posts are my starting point, as you can see. No fundraising so far, just a few quotes from iPhone app development companies. I’m also working on the app wireframes as we speak.

My idea is to put up a fundraising site (domain name already bought) to pay for the app for the entire community.
In doing so, I hope not to upset TXP core developers (voice your opinions if otherwise, please).

I just want to create a starting point for the app to rise, these forums would be used along the process and all users would be able to give their input on the features/specifications of the app.
All the process would be as transparent as possible and community-driven.

All we needed directly from the core developers would be a green light and the infamous metaWeblog.newMediaObject

Maybe I’m aiming a bit too high here. Let me know if you agree.

Last edited by keoshi (2010-07-26 17:30:20)

#58 2010-07-26 18:41:29

mrtunes
Website

keoshi wrote:

What I asked is if you’re willing to pay to get it developed, not to buy it on iTunes (it would be free then).

sorry, that makes sense. i would be happy to support it either way.

#59 2010-07-26 19:52:52

darnell

Hey Keoshi,

Which companies did you contact? And yeah, if you get a website going to fund raise for an app, let me know.

Also, do you know where I can contact the core developers? Perhaps we can convince them to install the metaWeblog.newMediaObject in a later build. :-)

#60 2010-07-27 17:08:27

keoshi

I contacted a few, but only finished the mockups (3 of them) today, so I’ll be getting accurate quotes in the next couple of days — or at least I hope so.

Dunno if we should discuss metaWeblog.newMediaObject here or directly with the developers.
If its inclusion does not happen it doesn’t make sense building the app anyway. For the current feautures we have the beautiful TXP Mobile, discussed earlier in this thread, courtesy of Oliver Ker

Board footer