Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-06-23 13:05:19

Boby Dimitrov
Website

Show content from a RSS feed

Erm, the title’s quite foggy, so this is what I’m wondering:

I have a TXP blog. I have a Google Reader account. I share items in the Reader, which are openly accessible via RSS. Is it possible to show those shared items (the RSS feed) on some page of the blog?

Thanks!

#2 2008-06-23 14:43:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Show content from a RSS feed

bit-rss bit_rss or other similar plugins will be of help

Last edited by colak (2008-06-23 17:12:17)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2008-06-23 14:56:52

Boby Dimitrov
Website

A search for bit-rss here and at .ORG showed no results. Could you be more specific? Thanks!

#4 2008-06-23 14:59:46

maniqui
Website

Greetings, Dimitrov (I feel like on a secret agent movie)

you can check the Simple Pie Plugin for Textpattern

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2008-06-23 15:16:07

maverick
Website

try bit_rss instead of bit-rss.

#6 2008-06-23 16:43:58

merz1
Website

asv_tumblelog is another working SimplePie solution which tranforms feed items into single articles.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#7 2008-06-24 10:14:35

Boby Dimitrov
Website

Thanks guys!

SimplePie is great and easy to install and it works, but I cannot mix articles with RSS posts (or even different RSS feeds). A nice way to use it is to have a separate page (or place on the homepage) and put all feeds you want to show there, one after the other. However, those won’t be going into your blog’s RSS, so it kinda sucks.

bit_rss seems to import RSS posts into articles and seems somewhat easy to install, but it’s not actively developed and the last version uses very old SimplePie version (which has problems with parsing RSS feeds sometimes).

asv_tumblelog seems the best choice, but it requires a cron job (?!) to be set up. Also, it seems harder to set up, lots of configuration. And what’s more, it does not allow to mix feeds, ie you cannot say “get posts from those 5 feeds and post them as articles in that section of the blog, in the order they’re published”. I think only bit_rss does that.

Am I right?

#8 2008-06-24 15:16:43

maverick
Website

Boby Dimitrov wrote:

Am I right?

SimplePie

(aka boy_simplepie_feed ) is actively developed. You may want to ask details on how it works in this thread

asv_tumblelog seems the best choice, but it requires a cron job (?!) to be set up.

asv_tumblelog is actively developed. You might want to double check your questions in this thread.

And what’s more, it does not allow to mix feeds, ie you cannot say “get posts from those 5 feeds and post them as articles in that section of the blog, in the order they’re published”. I think only bit_rss does that.

I’m only beginning to experiment with asv_tumblelog. However, I think a key difference between it and bit_rss is that asv_tumblelog imports those external feeds into the actual database of Txp. Thus those post actually become Txp articles and can be handled like any other article. From that standpoint I would be surprised if, once they are in the database, you can’t manipulate them anyway you want. Others more experienced with it can tell you for sure. I may not understand it correctly.

I believe the intention of asv_tumblelog was to allow you to use other services like Flickr and Twitter and then collect all your stuff in one place (Txp). If you are using it to import other people’s articles to republish through your site – that might cause problems with some people. That’s why I’ve used bit_rss for external feeds and am just now beginning to experiment using asv_tumblelog with my Twitter and FlickR accounts. Again, others more experienced with it can tell you for sure. I may not understand it correctly.

bit_rss seems to import RSS posts into articles and seems somewhat easy to install, but it’s not actively developed and the last version uses very old SimplePie version (which has problems with parsing RSS feeds sometimes).

I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but no, bit_rss does not import RSS posts into articles – at least not in the same way as asv_tumblelog. The posts never become part of your database. It is more like a rss feed reader that allows you to customize how the feed is displayed. You can, in essence, display them as (faux) articles, if you want. It is very flexible in how and what you display.

bit_rss has not been updated for sometime, nor has its author been on the thread for a while as far as I know. Yes, the version of SimplePie it uses is outdated. It’s problem free for 98-99% of the feeds I use if for. There are a couple of patches in the forum thread that help clean up some character display issues. It would be great if someone with php gifts would like to bring it up-to-date, though!

Hope I have my info accurate and it helps and instead of confuses.

Mike

#9 2008-06-25 08:35:43

Boby Dimitrov
Website

Wow… that was helpful indeed!

So you mean that bit_rss does not actually import the data from the RSS feeds into TXP database? Hmm… I’m still wondering if I really want that or not…

What I’m trying to achieve is put the stuff from my Flickr and Google Reader Shared Items feeds on my blog. And I’d like this stuff to show in the RSS readers of people, subscribed to my TXP RSS feed. So I am trying to mix traditional and tumbleblog, in a way, I guess. What plugin would you suggest that I use?

Thanks!

#10 2008-06-27 03:42:07

BryanA.

Boby, I think you hit on a holy grail of TXP. yesterday I posted something similar to do with Ma.Gnolia which desparately tried to gain admin privies to my TXP install. It was anxious to use the, “blog API URL” which was supposed to be at a page called xmlrpc to accomplish this and couldn’t.

I don’t actually know what all this means except that I couldn’t get Ma.Gnolia to stick my bookmarks in my Textpattern like you wish to do with your stuff. So I’ve bookmarked this topic and will wait and see – A TXP fork has occurred as a result of this difficulty.

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#11 2008-06-27 13:57:29

maverick
Website

Boby Dimitrov wrote

What plugin would you suggest that I use?

Hmm. If you want a second copy of your Flickr posts, definitely asv_tumblelog, else, bit_rss. Are Google Reader Shared Items feeds from other people? Is so, I’d lean to bit_rss unless you want to have a copy of all their stuff in your database. Basically you will be republishing their material with asv_tumblelog (if I understand asv_tumblelog properly). Some people might not be very happy about that.

Overall, I think I’d recommend bit_rss for what you are doing, or maybe even both: asv_tumblelog for Flickr an bit_rss for Google Reader. But it’s close. Maybe an more experienced asv_tumblelog user can chime in.

ByanA.

which was supposed to be at a page called xmlrpc

That’s a bit of a different approach than rss feeds. It’s a bit tangent/OT, but just to clarify: the xmlrpc is a separate directory in texptattern. Its URI won’t look quite like a normal Txp page. It will be http://www.site.com/“xlmrpc directory name”/index.php.

Have you read/asked for help w/ the XML-RPC server here or here:?

After the original developer for the XML-RPC server became inactive this semi-add-on feature languished. Wet has taken over the development of it in recent months. It is tentatively scheduled to be included in Txp 4.0.7 and is available now through svn.

Without out being disagreeable, from what I remember, I don’t think xPattern was birthed over this issue. At the moment I think Wet (Txp) is the only one actively developing it.

#12 2008-06-28 14:47:31

maverick
Website

BryanA. wrote:

I couldn’t get Ma.Gnolia to stick my bookmarks in my Textpattern like you wish to do with your stuff.

Check this post in the ajw_bookmarks thead. It says that plugin handles MaGnolia.

Board footer