Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#181 2012-08-01 20:34:09

drudog

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] cnk_versioning

maniqui wrote:

When you did this test, did you recall to set the website in “Testing” mode & hit (ie. visit) the front-end at least once?

Yep, sure did. I tried it again after your message just to be sure. No luck :(

Any other ideas?

#182 2012-08-01 20:38:50

maniqui
Website

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#183 2012-08-01 21:08:00

drudog

Well I don’t have an explanation for what happened. But it’s now working!

I uninstalled and followed Alan’s directions again making double sure I made the site ‘live’ then back to ‘testing’ then hitting the front page. Through the process I got the exact same messages as before, no change there. I checked the folders via FTP and no dice, blank as ever. Then I mashed the button to ‘Write pages & forms to files’ one more time (maybe two more times) and low an behold the textpattern gods shined down upon me with a gift of functioning plugin. Magic, you say?

Thanks for your time, gents.

#184 2012-10-03 18:14:00

feragnoli

does anybody have news about cnk_versioning with txp 4.5.1?
thank you

what was that again…?

#185 2012-10-03 21:09:02

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

@feragnoli: I have it working on every site that I’ve upgraded to 4.5.1. The initial setup can be tricky with any version of TXP, but once you get the hang of it, it works great.

#186 2012-10-04 17:18:34

feragnoli

thank you John.

what was that again…?

#187 2012-10-06 20:47:06

georgeM
Website

Hi John + feragnoli:

I just setup a fresh installation of TXP v4.5.1 and have been trying to get cnk_versioning to work. I have always used it in the past with no problems, however this time it seems to be different. I am able to install the plugin, configure it to point to the proper directory, create the sub (css/forms/pages) folders, then have it ‘Write pages and forms to files”.

I see the contents of the files in my IDE which look to be good, but TXP (on the front-end) just loads a blank white page for ‘default’ section (nothing between <body></body>. What’s funny is that ‘error_default’ and ‘archives’ pages work fine….really puzzled and don’t want to start on this project until I know what’s going on.

My plan is to couple cnk_versioning with ‘live.js’ to have the site instantly reload automatically when I make changes to the layouts on the file system. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated, otherwise I’ll try hacking at this for as much time as I have patience left :)

Thanks in advance!

#188 2012-10-06 23:26:49

maniqui
Website

Hi George.

(…) TXP (on the front-end) just loads a blank white page for ‘default’ section (nothing between <body></body>.

So, I assume there is some HTML code in the output, it’s just that the <body> shows up empty, right? if so, I’d doubt that the problem is with cnk_versioning.
Some stuff I’d check:

• what’s the page template assigned to the default section?
  • on that template, if you edit some code (I’d try adding/removing some line in <head>, because of the blank output issue you mentioned), does that change get reflected on front end? What if you edit other templates? Do those get updated on page refresh?
  • have you checked that the site status is set to “Live”?

#189 2012-10-07 00:03:31

georgeM
Website

Hi maniqui,

Thanks for the ultra-fast reply! To be honest, I should have explained more, so allow me to do this now in regards to:

maniqui wrote:

• what’s the page template assigned to the default section?
  • on that template, if you edit some code (I’d try adding/removing some line in <head>, because of the blank output issue you mentioned), does that change get reflected on front end? What if you edit other templates? Do those get updated on page refresh?
  • have you checked that the site status is set to “Live”?

Default section has the ‘default’ page template assigned, and yes, if I edit content within <head>, I can see the changes on the front end. I was actually trying to test live.js, and that script shows in the HTML, and its content is also loaded by the browser too. Site is also set to “Testing” as per the requirements of cnk_versioning.

I wish one of those things to check was the fix, but I had already tried most before posting (and again, should have explained myself better :)). What’s funny is that I have also totally nuked TXP, (files + DB), reinstalled v4.5.1, ran through the initial config.php setup, got into Admin (using Hive theme if that matters, but I wouldn’t imagine so) to check the status (which is defaulted to “Testing” after a fresh install).

Next, I immediately added cnk_versioning and activated + ‘installed’ the plugin. Then recreated the 3 file system folders it needs…edited the plugin to point to the parent of those folders, hit the ‘write pages + forms to files’ link, and it did in fact write them out (although ‘default.css’ is blank?). Making changes to the .txp files and refreshing the browser shows said changes, but of course, only up until the ending </head> tag.

It’s just quite puzzling to me as I’ve used it before, but feeling like I may be missing something? What also confuses me more is that johnstephens said it was working fine for him in v4.5.1, so that should rule the updated TXP out.

Will keep trying, and maniqui, again, thanks for the quick help and things to check. I’ll surely report back if I can get over this issue.

*** EDIT *** – OK I feel like a complete bunghole for not finding this earlier. Turns out some of the pre-defined TXP code was causing the issue of the blank body. For example, when I replaced this:

<body id="<txp:if_section name=""><txp:if_search>search<txp:else />front</txp:if_search><txp:else /><txp:section />-page">

…with just simply <body>, it worked great. However, lower down, the navbar seemed to have an issue, so I changed/simplified that pre-defined code, and it works fine now. I am sure there is some kind of tweaky issue with my setup maybe, because I would figure the default front end theme is flawless.

I guess it all came down to those quotes and <txp> logic in my case…in any sense, I need to create a completely, fresh design for a client, so I should be good to go from here. Also, in case anyone wants to know, I’m now using Reloadr (with the PHP page/server option) to auto-refresh the cnk_versioning templates, and it works great!

Sorry for wasting the time of whoever was reading this!

Last edited by georgeM (2012-10-07 02:29:19)

#190 2012-10-07 17:24:25

maniqui
Website

Good to know, George.

Just for the record, this code <body id="<txp:if_section name=""><txp:if_search>search<txp:else />front</txp:if_search><txp:else /><txp:section />-page"> was missing an </txp:if_section>.

<body id="<txp:if_section name=""><txp:if_search>search<txp:else />front</txp:if_search><txp:else /><txp:section /></txp:if_section>-page">

#191 2012-10-07 20:42:35

georgeM
Website

maniqui wrote:

Just for the record, this code <body id="<txp:if_section name=""><txp:if_search>search<txp:else />front</txp:if_search><txp:else /><txp:section />-page"> was missing an </txp:if_section>.

Thanks maniqui, I think we can chalk this one up to me being absent minded. I remember totally reverting everything and trying before editing the default page layout, but maybe I still missed something. Anyways, seems the </txp:if_section> tag was missing, so everything is working great now :)

Going to crawl back into my hole now…Thanks for the assistance though!

#192 2012-12-06 19:09:01

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

The ugly Live blank screen is rearing it’s ugly head again. This time on a new site, I followed alanfluff’s instructions and have testing mode running like a champ. Switch to live and BAM blank screen. I get no debugging/errors coming from the testing mode version and I can’t get any debugging data coming out on the live mode because TXP returns nothing.

I’m at a loss, not sure what i have different since I have versoning running on a few other sites and it works fine. I’m running 4.5.2.

Running the “Write pages & forms to files” function throws error I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that. I think cnk_versioning cnk_ver_pull_all is no safe operation at this time.

Last edited by ecklesroad (2012-12-06 22:19:31)

Board footer