Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-06-19 04:35:11

mrdale
Website

Re: jmd_img_selector: Thickbox-style image selector

jm wrote:

mrdale wrote:
Er…Cause I removed that during testing and forgot to add it back in :).

excellent! that should be much more zippy. Great work sir.

I should also clarify what the hell I was talking about here What I WAS getting at was some kind of persistant indicator for the first few associated images on that article’s write screen.

Maybe fit three across right underneath the image selector. Just an idea.

#26 2008-06-19 13:34:53

renobird
Website

masa wrote:

This has been a very delightful “plugin birth experience”: someone suggests a long overdue feature, others chip in, a developer (yourself) gets on the case and voilà, we have a working solution within a couple of days!

Amen.

jm,
I still got some cash comin’ atcha soon.
This thing is sweet!

#27 2008-06-26 05:37:35

jm
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve got a new version almost ready – just a few more bugs to go (hurry monkeys, hurry!). I abandoned the Thickbox-iframe because it was just too slow in Firefox. The new version still uses a modal window, but the content is pulled in via Ajax, so it feels a lot faster (esp. with scrolling). It should solve the Firefox-freakout :).

Here’s a quick preview – I’ve moved the controls to the top of the window, so it’s only the image list that scrolls. The image name is a span, so Firefox doesn’t throw a hissy fit and ramp up to 93% CPU usage.

masa wrote:

Regarding the other insertion options, I was wondering whether that could be a toggle switch right within the image picker’s lightbox window. The reason is that I usually don’t grant users permission to access the admin area except for changing their passwords. They wouldn’t be able to enable the advanced options, if they were only available in the plugin’s preferences.

Should we just do two buttons at the top for body and article image? Or one button, but a checkbox to insert as a body image or article image?

#28 2008-06-26 10:18:49

masa

It depends.
If you’re going to offer two options – article- and body image – I’d vote for two buttons.
That saves a click and would keep the minimalistic appearance.

Do you feel that a third option – to insert a thumbnail with popup – would complicate things too much?

#29 2008-06-26 12:10:16

jm
Plugin Author
Website

masa wrote:

Do you feel that a third option – to insert a thumbnail with popup – would complicate things too much?

If you can get me a mockup, we’ll see. It’s not hard to add another option, so it’s really just the interface. OK well right now it’s a little more complicated, but once I rewrite a few js functions for body-support, it won’t be :).

What about another select and only one button? options=insert as article image (default), txp:image, and txp:image popup=1. It’s too early to fire up Photoshop, so here’s the ASCII version of my idea:

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Category [ root [v]  SomePhoto.jpg       Insert as [ article image [v] (Add image) |

#30 2008-06-26 13:30:00

masa

jm wrote:

What about another select and only one button? options=insert as article image (default), txp:image, and txp:image popup=1.

That would be great. With article image as the default it’s still just a single click operation which would keep Dale happy :-)
Something like this?

I placed the image name in its own line, so long names wouldn’t make the control area look crammed.

Last edited by masa (2008-06-26 14:35:10)

#31 2008-06-26 13:58:17

renobird
Website

Masa,

I like the drop down idea a lot…Keeps the interface simple…but allows the extra options for those that need it.

JM,

Glad you found a way to keep firefox from throwing a “hissy fit” . : )

#32 2008-06-26 15:09:34

masa

renobird wrote:

I like the drop down idea a lot…Keeps the interface simple…but allows the extra options for those that need it.

jm’s suggestion, I just did the mock-up :-)
I’m not sure about the labelling “Body image” though; I was trying to avoid any txp jargon.

#33 2008-06-26 18:03:38

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Martin – looks great!

#34 2008-06-27 03:49:05

mrdale
Website

eek, feature creep popup! (but I realize it;s useful for many) so…

Can you give me an admin option to turn it off?

[edit] Seriously, though nice work. As a contrib muckedy-muck can I get a pre-release?

Last edited by mrdale (2008-06-27 03:50:25)

#35 2008-06-27 05:22:31

jm
Plugin Author
Website

[edit] Seriously, though nice work. As a contrib muckedy-muck can I get a pre-release?

Well if you want broken, I can send you a copy :P. I introduced a retarded bug with existing article-image values somewhere in the transition to Ajax.

As far as turning off the image-insertion options, you’ll be able to hide it with CSS – it’ll insert into the article image field by default.

#36 2008-06-27 23:47:49

mrdale
Website

jm wrote:

you’ll be able to hide it with CSS – it’ll insert into the article image field by default.

Yep figured that out about a second after I posted… and believe it or not I am capable of being patient, all evidence to the contrary.

Board footer