Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2008-08-21 14:32:06

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: TxP.com home page

zero wrote:

By having the txp logo and menu, it means on all sites that use it, there is extra ‘noise’.

On the other hand, it’s quite in line with the common ground nowadays. I think it won’t matter much for the users whether these primary menu items route to different domains, subdomains or folder.

#62 2008-08-21 14:40:19

zero
Website

To my eyes, none of those four look nearly as noisy as this or this not even the WP one.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#63 2008-08-21 15:25:10

squaredeye
Website

Zero,

Take heart. I think Destry would agree that those are mockups, and when we have a final product in hand, noisiness will be an issue that we take seriously.

#64 2008-08-21 15:44:01

zero
Website

I have faith that you will do a great job. Thanks for taking notice.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#65 2008-08-22 12:25:00

Destry
Website

squaredeye wrote:

Here is my proposal

Hi Matthieu! Sounds lovely. I’m in. Glad your keeping busy and thanks for giving a shout. I’m still without internet hookup at my new digs, but I’m keeping in the loop using secret channels. Bear with me.

zero wrote:

I can think of alternatives but none that are better than Destry’s so far

Why zero, that’s mighty kind of ya. :)

Matthieu, you should know, anything I’ve offered to this point is simply food for the table; it can be taken in whole, mixed, or sent back to the cook. All’s good and in the spirit of something new.

EDIT: Meant to give my own mockups a critique in relation to the masthead area and context of recent comments. In principle, the logo doesn’t bother me, nor does the integrated menu. I’m in favor of the integration; it has user-value beyond just visual appearance, and I don’t think it adds noise at all despite it being less important to usability. That said, I think my mockups might be a bit congested in the masthead area. Honestly, that’s the only reservation I had about them, and a small one at that. However, I considered it from both sides. If you look at WP’s design, e.g., they add more space around things up there. The result of that, however, is you push content down further on the page (thus risking being out of a users view), and for something like the wiki that’s not ideal. So in this case I tried to find a common ground with having space but not too loosely.

Last edited by Destry (2008-08-22 16:19:00)

#66 2008-08-25 13:05:34

squaredeye
Website

Destry,
Sounds excellent. I’ll have a go at these wireframe mockups to be delivered by August 29 (if all goes well this week).
Then we can tag team and kick this out of the park :)

Matthieu :)

#67 2008-08-26 13:27:50

Destry
Website

Sounds good. I’ll try and have the basic layout of the wiki done by then too (masthead and its contained elements aside for now) since the underlying markup is different than .com anyway. The pleasantries can be tweaked as needed for the integrated effect.

#68 2008-08-26 14:04:57

squaredeye
Website

sounds great

#69 2008-08-27 17:07:32

Destry
Website

squaredeye wrote:

Destry will then match the content (particularly pertinent for the home page) to the layout of the page, and we’ll adjust if absolutely necessary

It helps me think about text space expectations by actually having an idea of the text to be in place. As such, I’ve moved on the site map idea in wet’s wiki and threw down a few content ideas to keep momentum going there.

What I’ve done here is not meant to undermine or railroad, but to stay focused and begin visualizing where the wire and plaster start sticking together. :)

The site map needs more attention (with associated URLs) and put in stone, this is important. The content for the resulting pages can be drafted more accurately after that. My real focus for the moment is the home page, as Matthieu suggested, and thus Matthieu should keep an eye on the Home page content ideas being fleshed-out so they jive with what’s cooking at his end.

Can’t help but iterate that a structural diagram based on a finished site map will be extremely useful for mapping links, because the first level of a site map does not always translate into a primary navigation, and this is especially true here.

Last edited by Destry (2008-08-27 17:23:20)

#70 2008-08-29 08:08:08

azhou
Website

Hi guys – firstly apologies if I’ve stepped on anyones toes here (I’ve done my best to read through all the comments and wiki’s but all the information seems a bit scattered, let alone opinions), but based on the site map and txp.com relaunch notes I’ve put together a preliminary homepage wireframe

Hopefully this may at least give us a visual starting point. Let me know what you guys think!

*Edit – Anyone thought of taking this whole project across to basecamp? At least that way we’ll be able to keep all the files in one place and sort out tasks etc..

Last edited by azhou (2008-08-29 08:10:41)

#71 2008-08-29 10:39:22

Destry
Website

azhou wrote:

I’ve done my best to read through all the comments and wiki’s but all the information seems a bit scattered, let alone opinions, but based on the site map and txp.com relaunch notes I’ve put together a preliminary homepage…

I would agree things are a bit scattered, though not from a lack of at least a few people trying. It’s just the way it goes in dispersed coop with no pay. :)

I also think (yep, an opinion) that at least the content part of it is starting to gel in the wiki that wet initiated, and since wet must give the final say on copy being drafted, I can only assume he would rather keep it contained in the wiki he setup for the job. The site map is legitimate, it’s important, and it leads to focused work like going on here for the home page copy. Taking it all to yet another location is no advantage in my yet another opinion.

Your contributions for the wireframe are commendable and appreciated (speaking for myself). I’m glad to see tangible ideas from another legionnaire. Keep in mind there’s this uncontested status quo too, which by Matthieu’s account is to be revealed today as well. Maybe you and Matthieu can play chopsticks (the piano tune).

Speaking of deliverables, everyone. I have been busy focusing on the home page content with zero and wet so I won’t have the rudimentary wiki layout done and revealed today, but I’ll see about getting it done over the weekend (assuming I’m not too tied with domestic chores).

#72 2008-08-29 12:54:47

squaredeye
Website

Destry,
I assume you got my email with the comp within. I’m looking forward to seeing what your home page copy reveals and how I can tweak my comp to meet it.

Azhou,
Shoot me an email off thread. I’d love to talk about the design project and see if we can indeed play chopsticks :)

Board footer