Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#441 2009-12-19 12:06:34

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: TxP.com home page

thebombsite wrote:

You mean we can’t just create a single sencer account and re-assign all of them whether with a “s” or a “S”?

Ah hang on, when you say ‘reassign’, are we talking at cross purposes here?

Reassign to me is when you delete a user and reassign all assets that they owned to someone else. If you mean simply creating a sencer user account (with privs “none”) and leaving it there, no ‘reassignment’ is necessary. As soon as the account is created, any existing articles that match the login name will be automatically associated with the account because of the way the login name is hard-coded into the various tables (theyr’e not referenced indirectly in any way).

But the articles created by Sencer won’t be linked to the account you create because of the capitalisation. If the intention is to leave an empty sencer account on the system (with a strong password, I hasten to add!) to simply maintain the history then someone should go through the assets already owned by him and rename anything with a capital S to all lower case (a jot of SQL will do it). Then those articles will also automatically be associated with the account you create.

However, keeping an account on the system just for the sake of it showing who wrote articles, when that information is actually already hard-coded into the articles and it’s TXP’s code that’s displaying them wrongly on the public side seems an unnecessary security risk. Perhaps if the account has privs none, it’s OK but it’s still an account we don’t “need”. Which is why I wondered if TXP could be smarter in this area and, if an account doesn’t exist, still show the user (login) name (desirable, or not?) or at the very least return ‘unknown’ or something if the user is missing so articles shown on the public side from previous versions of TXP or site migrations like this don’t simply show nothing.

OT: This is where TXP’s forced asset reassignment falls down a bit: if you ran a newspaper and Bob wrote a tonne of articles, then leaves the paper to pursue other interests, when you delete his account you have to assign all the articles Bob wrote to someone else. That’s not “right” in a sense because Bob still wrote them and they’re still historically valid. But if you don’t delete his account, you still have an account floating around that you don’t need (ok, you can remove his privs so at least he can’t see anything any more if he logs in). Further, if any of the articles ever need editing, only Publishers can do it. Bit of a toughie.

Anyway, all that clear as mud now? ;-)

Last edited by Bloke (2009-12-19 12:07:36)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#442 2009-12-19 17:29:46

maverick
Website

Interesting post Bloke. I have a tangent post here. Didn’t want to take this thread more OT.

Mike

#443 2009-12-30 20:30:34

masa

Very fine effort, everyone!

The focus on easy-to-use and putting the Publishers at the top is great. I’ll even get over the introduction of baby-blue and Times eventually  ;-)

Two things though…

1. I think the Twitter stuff at the top is ugly and distracting. Could that and the search input be moved further down, so the page starts off with the logo and the main buttons? It seems odd that the most prominently placed links point ot other sites.
  1. It always seems to come up with the same What others are saying stories. Any chance to get a bit of randomised variety in there?

#444 2010-02-17 09:58:14

Pat64
Plugin Author
Website

@Stuart.

I noticed a little bad effect for the top “twitter” div : browsing the new (excellent, and amazing) TXP website on small screens (testing on a 10 inch Asus Eee PC and FF 2.x) this light gray div don’t follow the main container on the right.

A simple correctiion in the css can be done with this rule:

body{min-width:955px}

For IE browsers, you can use MS expression to obtain a min-width property.

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2010-02-17 12:08:40)

Patrick.
Txp Tricks & Tips by french users : http://txp-fr.net | G+
Alison: a CSS Grid tool for all browsers

#445 2010-02-17 22:39:14

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Patrick. I’ll look into that. Is it doing the same on Textgarden by any chance?

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-02-17 22:40:34)

Stuart – The BombsiteProText ThemesTextgarden

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#446 2010-03-15 15:50:36

Pat64
Plugin Author
Website

My pleasure Stuart.

Yes. It’s the same on TXPGarden.org

Patrick.

#447 2010-03-15 21:55:54

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Pat. That should be fixed apart from IE. I’ll get to that later.

Was affecting the footer as well.

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-03-15 21:57:06)

#448 2010-03-28 14:43:19

Pat64
Plugin Author
Website

@Stuart

That’s perfect.

For IE perhaps you could had this:

body{width:expression(document.body.clientWidth < 955? "955px" : "auto")}

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2010-03-30 18:08:22)

Patrick.

#449 2010-03-29 14:28:53

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Patrick. I have that in on both sites for IE6 though I added an extra “}” on the end. You might want to edit that in case someone else picks the code up.

As for that ie6.css page, dare I say I understood some of it? ;)

Board footer