Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#431 2009-12-17 08:41:36

candyman

Re: TxP.com home page

Very good job but I don’t like the blue for titles. I preferred the old-fashioned but more TXPish brown (or yellow).

#432 2009-12-17 09:26:18

Bloke
Developer
Website

the_ghost wrote:

Unknown author of blog entries

Ah, they’re written by Sencer but his user account has been removed from the Users table so his name’s not always showing up on the public side.

It’s an interesting TXP issue: for performance reasons, any time an author name is requested, it is cached so any future requests on that page for the same author are returned without having to go to the database. A few things are fouling this up:

1. His account’s missing and the get_author_name() function tries to grab the author RealName from the database. Whether this attempt succeeds or not, the RealName (empty because he doesn’t exist and his assets haven’t been reassigned for whatever reason) is set to the cached user info for next time. For this first attempt, however, the user’s name is returned instead (as expected)
  2. The 2nd time an article by Sencer is requested, it checks the cache, sees that there’s already an entry there (even though it’s empty) and returns nothing
  3. But, Stef, you might cry. There are two articles by Sencer showing up on that page and then every other article he wrote is authorless. Yeah, ummm, the reason for that is the first article is written by sencer, and the 2nd (probably written in TXP 4.0.6 or earlier before the user names were sanitized) is written by Sencer (capital S). So there are two entries in the cache — one for each spelling of his name

This combination of subtleties could be considered a bugette in TXP, not sure. Thanks for spotting it.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-12-17 09:27:27)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#433 2009-12-17 16:16:56

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Yes I spotted this as well but couldn’t figure a way around it. I’m thinking that the current database user-data is not the same as the original. I could be wrong, though I’m sure Stef will confirm or deny this. Maybe if we set up a new sencer account then re-assigned the articles?? There is the “workflow” plugin we could use temporarily to perform the re-assignments then remove it.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-12-17 16:18:15)

Stuart – The BombsiteProText ThemesTextgarden

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#434 2009-12-17 17:15:17

maniqui
Website

Hi Stuart,

No need for a plugin, you can do the re-assignments directly on Content -> Articles tab.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#435 2009-12-17 17:53:24

maverick
Website

candyman wrote:

Very good job but I don’t like the blue for titles. I preferred the old-fashioned but more TXPish brown (or yellow).

Fair enough :)

Just as another perspective, I’m rather partial to blue and think it looks good. The problem of satisfying everyone! LOL

#436 2009-12-17 17:57:11

maverick
Website

maniqui wrote:

No need for a plugin, you can do the re-assignments directly on Content -> Articles tab.

Off topic and tangent: Good point to note, and probably more useful in the case of mass transfer.

That said, the plugin added the ability to the write page of each article. The plugin seems to be broke in 4.2.0, and I personally miss having the option on the write page.

#437 2009-12-18 23:35:05

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

It broke? Can’t remember if I’ve actually used it on a 4.2.0 install but if Julián is right, which he is (totally forgot it was an option now) then it’s not a major headache for this site. It would be a one-off thing (he says keeping everything crossed).

Anyway, just checking to see if I have the go-ahead on this one then I shall erm… go ahead. ;)

Oh and just in case anyone missed these, I’ve fixed the “Search…” text in the search input field and added the forum to the external links menu. :)

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-12-18 23:54:00)

#438 2009-12-19 00:09:55

Bloke
Developer
Website

thebombsite wrote:

if we set up a new sencer account then re-assigned the articles??

Yeah, I think when the accounts were copied over to the new domain, his was missed off so the reassignment never took place. I wonder if TXP could handle this better if a user is missing, or is it caveat utilitor?

But anyway, setting up a sencer account and reassigning should work because there are no IDs involved; user names are hard-coded in the textpattern table instead of referenced in a normalized database fashion.

Not sure what would happen with the sencer vs Sencer thing, though. Might be worth either a) sanitizing all the entries in the textpattern table associated with his account so they’re all the same case, or b) create an account, delete it + reassign, create another account with the capitalized letter, delete it + reassign again.

Option (b) might not work if the user names are all lower-cased by default on creation; can’t remember offhand. Either way, a hearty backup is advised 8o)

On a side note, it’s a shame that deleting and reassigning loses the heritage of who created the articles in the first place… but it’s either that or the ol’ dangling articles conundrum *sigh*

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#439 2009-12-19 00:10:32

maverick
Website

thebombsite wrote:

It broke?

I just double checked myself. I have one install of 4.2 where it is not working, and I figured that the upgrade broke it. However, I double checked another 4.2 I have, and it is working. My apologies.

Looks like its time to go trouble shoot :/

Mike

#440 2009-12-19 00:19:08

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Not sure what would happen with the sencer vs Sencer thing, though. Might be worth either a) sanitizing all the entries in the textpattern table associated with his account so they’re all the same case, or b) create an account, delete it + reassign, create another account with the capitalized letter, delete it + reassign again.

You mean we can’t just create a single sencer account and re-assign all of them whether with a “s” or a “S”?

I’m hoping this is as easy as I think it is because there are several “missing” authors.

Board footer