Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-05-27 16:58:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: TxP.com home page

wet wrote:

we would glady introduce unobtrusive hooks/extensions/callbacks into core which helps with that goal.

Trying not to go too off-topic, would this tiny patch be one you would consider to help the de-facto gold-standard glz_custom_fields work without modification to the core?

I’m not sure if it falls under the banner “unobtrusive” (depends on how resource intensive preg_grep is) but it is only 3 lines of code :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2008-05-27 17:16:57

redbot
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

Trying not to go too off-topic, would this tiny patch be one you would consider to help the de-facto gold-standard glz_custom_fields work without modification to the core?

That’s what I was wondering too…

#39 2008-05-27 17:26:45

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Extending the number of columns in txp_textpattern is the wrong approach. This should be solved by moving the custom fields to a separate table, not by making the existing table layout even worse.

#40 2008-05-27 19:45:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote:

Extending the number of columns in txp_textpattern is the wrong approach.

/bloke confused. Didn’t know glz_custom_fields did that. Thought it used its own table for anything >10 and that all the patch did was allow the txp_prefs table to return custom_set_11, custom_set_12, etc instead of stopping at 10. *shrug* I must have got it wrong, sorry.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#41 2008-05-27 20:57:53

hakjoon
Website

It does the EE approach and adds new columns to the textpattern table. This does allow it’s custom fields to be compatible with existing custom field tags but it’s not a great approach.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#42 2008-05-27 21:14:56

maniqui
Website

wet wrote:

The “facts”, as far the access log reveals them

Ok, right now, accesses are mostly of english-readers visitors (but a 30% percent isn’t from english-readers visitors).
But I see it the other way: probably (because having more SE exposure) a multilingual site will increase non-english visitors, then, the base of non-english Textpattern users.
Newcomers and old non-english TXP users (and there are currently many non-english TXP users) will benefit of translated content, particularly, translated FAQs.

So, without any disrespect for non-english visitors, I’d rather allocate resources elsewhere.

That’s why I suggested to have MLP on the back-end even when the relaunch will probably be just in english (although, if the idea of a multilingual site for TXP.com is accepted, I would bet that the relaunch of the site could be done in more than one language).

But, again, TXP.com can just have MLP installed (yes, the time that takes to install MLP is a resource, but really, it’s less than 5 minutes): if we don’t use it then, no problem.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#43 2008-05-27 21:37:35

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Simply put: We won’t run Textpattern.com from a non-standard Textpattern release.

#44 2008-06-03 17:28:57

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Those who have offered to contribute, so far:

• Kevin Potts: marketing-compliant verbiage and world-domination strategy
  • Matthew Smith: a beautiful, compelling site design aka PSD mockups
  • milkshake: visitor funneling wireframes
  • maniqui: markup with a style
  • zero: everything else, plus taming the Googlebot

(I hope I missed nobody. Anyone else to volunteer?)

We won’t change a lot of the deeper content (it’s more about visuals there), I suppose, as the FAQs are fine and the weblog entries are part of the TXP history.

So it’s about the homepage.

Kevin: What are the first sentences a visitor would read there? What else would we put there?

#45 2008-06-09 07:07:29

zero
Website

I’m not Kevin but I think that in the header, opposite the sitename and slogan should be a h2 link with:
Download Textpattern – The CMS that gives you Freedom
And a p link with: More Info
Or something like that. I’ve not been in sales but they have a maxim: always be closing.
Therefore, I think these links should be sitewide.

Last edited by zero (2008-06-09 07:08:58)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#46 2008-06-18 13:44:40

jstubbs
Website

I would like to volunteer time too. I just edited the txp home page copy text for clarity, over at Wet’s wiki.

In the marketing TXP thread I offered some ideas on plugins, templates and documents.

Not sure where is the best place to contribute, but I can do most things.

#47 2008-06-26 08:57:09

Destry
Website

Wish I read read this thread before this one. Too long in the jungle. Sorry.

Kind of related…if I can see Matthieu’s design ideas, I’ll use the concept (more or less) for a new TextBook skin and develop that too. Idea being to establish a bit more coherence between the two locations and have two fresh faces relaunched at the same time. (Revolutionize the TxB layout too, and implement some ideas talked about here).

I’m also willing to help with copy on the main site, if that’s still open, but I think a focus on TxB will keep me occupied.

I’ll touch base with Patrick for a pass to TxB.

#48 2008-08-10 03:21:16

azhou
Website

Hi guys – I’ve been using textpattern for a while now and in some way I’ve always wanted to contribute, although never really had a chance because I’m not really much of a developer (which is why I found textpattern in the first place).

I am however, pretty handy with a photoshop brush so I’d like to volunteer with the inital mockups or design concepts if there’s still room and I’m not too late?

Last edited by azhou (2008-08-12 22:04:28)

Board footer