Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2008-05-17 10:39:23

milkshake
Website

Re: Blog platforms design critique

It’s important to nail down who we are talking to and what their goals/questions will be coming to txp

wet’s description of “designers + web builders” is near the mark. I would say its people wanting to build small-medium size dynamic websites. Not as big as a web application (framework), but more complex than a blog (wordpress).

• So in general that would be designers with a bit of technical knowledge (HTML, CSS), looking for a tool to build websites for clients. I would say this is probably the biggest group. Of course that could also be ‘the web person’ in a biz/org.
  • After that is individuals looking to publish their stuff — photographers, bloggers, designers etc. Though there are so many easy ways to put stuff out there now (hosted blogs etc), and more focussed tools (wp), its maybe a losing battle trying to sell this point. Unless you push the idea of “owning your own content”.

If we know who, it will be easy to figure out what to say.

Some things txp.com should be/do:

1. One click to download txp
  2. Link to txp demo
  3. Help new user get started
  4. Bring new people into the community
  5. Be a hub for all the txp sites

PS. New thread for shortlisting txp sites that should be featured

#74 2008-05-17 11:21:53

uli

ruud wrote:

simply add a link to TXP.org.

No objections, just … it isn’t listed over there.

milkshake wrote:

Be a hub for all the txp sites

Good point! That’s what almost everyone might be stumbled upon at least once when gathering necessary information and not knowing, where to get them. textpattern.com could cover a far more helping function for this objective.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#75 2008-05-17 13:10:13

zero
Website

Some good thoughts there, William. I’ve copied your ideas for txp.com over to the other thread, as this one has gone onto other topics.

Re audience. I think there’s probably many people who will get fed up of their predefined templates or hosted blogs and want more options. Although txp code and flexibility is very sophisticated, txp can be presented in a simple easy way so these people will try it out. As I’ve stated here if the default templates can be made more solid, usable, semantic etc then simply changing the css can produce completely different looking sites. I think this would appeal to people wanting to dip their toes into web design. Just like most people fancy themselves as a great dj because they have taste in music, I think it’s the same with web design – everyone fancies they can produce something really great because they have their own special taste in web styling.

Oh and by the way, I don’t think a lot needs doing to the default templates, but definitely one or two things can be improved

Last edited by zero (2008-05-17 13:13:29)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#76 2008-05-18 08:40:21

milkshake
Website

#77 2008-05-22 06:48:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Perhaps even have a few direct internal links as a list (e.g. “set your prefs”) in the 1st article or its associated Links; or even the world’s quickest rundown of TXP terminology/hierarchy (section / page / form would do, and/or a link to a Textbook article that explains more on how TXP’s naming convention works).

Done in change set 2893. Thanks to all who contributed!

Board footer