Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2008-05-16 17:39:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Blog platforms design critique

colak wrote:

True, but will it not encourage hackers?

Depends if a) the site’s worth hacking, b) what there is to gain by the act. I don’t know many hackers that would think “ooh, a new TXP site has popped on the radar, best hack it”. Perhaps I don’t know enough hackers :-p

At the end of the day security through obscurity is no security at all (copyright Bruce Schneier, probably). The weak link in the chain has been and always will be lazy users/admins who choose weak passwords.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#62 2008-05-16 18:46:27

zero
Website

maniqui wrote:

I moved your paragraph about Textpattern First Steps to a place below, outside the “suggested task list”. I think newcomers would like to get into the admin side and start doing things (trial and error, the way to go), rather than being pointed to another tutorial to be read.

The trouble with trial and error, is that you can make so many errors you get lost because you don’t really have a clue at first. You often see confusion over pages, forms, sections and articles in the forum from newbies. Some people prefer to be told what to do at the beginning. Then they go to trial and error. That’s why I wrote the First Steps, and for people who prefer learning by doing. There are many kinds of learners, however, so they need options. First Steps needs a clean install and might not make sense after they’ve written some articles and changed a few tags around etc.

uli has also commented on the writeboard about hcg_templates. I’d like it adding to the 4.0.7 install but don’t know if it will be, although I think it will be in the xpattern first release (Bert?)

I also think thebombsite’s comment about chewable chunks is very important. And I too think the live txp.com site should be built using the default txp templates, although CSS could be quite different if necessary.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#63 2008-05-16 19:54:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote:

Some people prefer to be told what to do at the beginning. Then they go to trial and error.

I agree that there are different types of learning and that First Steps is very much designed to be run from the outset. To that end, how about something like:

——
Welcome to your site.

If you would like a structured tutorial that introduces Textpattern and its conventions, follow the First Steps so you can learn by doing. Otherwise, what would you like to do next?

… and then the rest of the article as it is?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#64 2008-05-16 19:56:54

maniqui
Website

+1

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#65 2008-05-16 20:05:38

uli

yup!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#66 2008-05-16 20:33:46

zero
Website

I changed the writeboard and then I just read your comment Stef. It’s now a bit like you say but still plenty of room for improvement

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#67 2008-05-16 20:53:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Nice; more succinct than my rubbish earlier attempt, thank you.

In fact, your new intro made the entries that uli and I put in obsolete, so I’ve removed them and simply copied the links to page/style/form admin areas up to your new bit.

#68 2008-05-16 20:55:31

sthmtc
Website

maniqui wrote:

"admin":/textpattern/@ instead of "admin":textpattern/

won’t this break if a user installed txp in a subdirectory?

Last edited by sthmtc (2008-05-16 20:55:43)

#69 2008-05-16 21:08:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote:

uli has also commented on the writeboard about hcg_templates. I’d like it adding to the 4.0.7 install but don’t know if it will be, although I think it will be in the xpattern first release (Bert?)

Having plugins installed at run time is not the Textpattern way, at least that’s been my impression. Though I see no reason you can’t have bundles other than the default install available for download.

May I say that this thread has been very entertaining.

#70 2008-05-16 21:08:16

jm
Plugin Author
Website

won’t this break if a user installed txp in a subdirectory?

"admin":./textpattern/ should do it.

Last edited by jm (2008-05-16 21:08:47)

#71 2008-05-16 22:14:41

uli

Having plugins installed at run time is not the Textpattern way

No, not installed on delivery! Put it in the zip (& mention it in the ReadMe). This will open up the chance to explain a little about installing plugins (there’s often enough people asking questions about what they’re doing wrong/funny looking code), turning them on and off, getting help, peeking into the code; and once installed one can happily experiment on TXP-tags, trusting on a dependable fallback system.

The more important information the introduction holds, the more important becomes a backup of working templates!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#72 2008-05-17 09:54:17

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Instead of bundling plugins with the main software, simply add a link to TXP.org.
The information in the introduction should be available elsewhere, not just in the introduction.

Board footer