Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#769 2014-01-08 19:12:06

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: yab_shop (simple textpattern shop with paypal support)

trenc wrote #277934:

You can try to delete the function from yab_shop_admin.
I don’t have looked deep enough in Stef’s version so I can’t say what’s working and what’s not with or without yab_shop_admin.

Ok, i’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#770 2014-01-08 22:24:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #277921:

*Fatal error: Cannot redeclare yab_shop_prefs()

The new plugin is all in one file: I rolled all the various parts into a single plugin. You don’t need the core or admin plugins at all. Just disable them and the error will go away.

That said, the Textpack feature isn’t implemented yet so any custom strings you might have put in the official yab_shop files will need setting up again inside my yab_shop 0.90. The plugin really needs to have Textpack support added!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#771 2014-01-09 09:26:59

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Stef for your answer; you’ve confirmed what I was starting to think.
I was not sure about how to customize strings without the admin plugin. I’ll try to set them directly in the code.

Nicolas

#772 2014-01-13 17:10:50

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Hi,
Is there a simple way to manage items stock? Stef talked about smd_ipn but I can’t find it.
Thx!

Nicolas

#773 2014-01-13 20:25:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #278112:

Is there a simple way to manage items stock? Stef talked about smd_ipn but I can’t find it.

smd_ipn isn’t a public release yet. I have a PayPal-only version available now, which is working in the field, but I’m rewriting it in a modular fashion at the moment to work with other payment gateways. No release date on that one yet as it’s a bit early to tell. Contact me if you’re interested in the PayPal version and I’ll send it over.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#774 2014-06-15 22:01:09

uli

I assume I would remember the woohoos if any version of this plugin currently supported payment methods other than paypal payments themselves. Is there anything in beta stage re credit cards, debit, any plans, anything I could participate in monetarily?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#775 2014-06-16 06:28:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #281435:

I assume I would remember the woohoos if any version of this plugin currently supported payment methods other than paypal

Correct. Nothing in progress at the moment. Well, I did (do) have plans to help modularise it at some point so other payment methods can bolt onto the plugin to support other payment gateways, but nothing on the immediate horizon I’m afraid.

I started refactoring smd_ipn to support other third party signalling mechanisms (again, via bolt-on plugins depending on your specific needs) but it’s nowhere near finished. Which other payment channel(s) do you require specifically?

Integrating this plugin to take direct credit/debit card payments (i.e. not merely handing off to a third party payment processing system and then being redirected back to Txp for business logic updates) is not currently part of the plan simply because of the wide variety of ever-changing banking loopholes legislation and the difficulty of complying with international regulations governing the storage of card details / transactions. It’s a minefield, I tell ya!

#776 2014-06-16 12:06:45

uli

Bloke wrote #281445:

Which other payment channel(s) do you require specifically?

I’ve just had a talk with the client about options and costs, and we’re back at the plugin capabilities. But generally of interest was direct debiting, though not immediately.

Just out of interest: To me it seems that the TXP website (i.e. the plugin) would just have to gather the correct infos about the cart’s contents and the client’s Paypal registered email address in order to transfer the data into the correct PP account. The whole complicated rest (choice of payment channel and all its options) would be happening on the PP website with their special knowledge about financial transaction and net security. That’s apparently only a part of the story and shortsighted, but why is it so difficult would you have to implement other payment options into the plugin?

Last edited by uli (2014-06-16 12:08:11)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#777 2014-06-16 12:58:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #281450:

To me it seems that the TXP website (i.e. the plugin) would just have to gather the correct infos about the cart’s contents and the client’s Paypal registered email address in order to transfer the data into the correct PP account

Correct, that’s exactly what it does. It’s a glorified shopping cart that ties into the article back-end to help you sell “products” as articles.

The tricky thing is, it needs to package the cart contents into a format that the third party gateway accepts. At the moment it supports only Google Checkout (R.I.P.) and PayPal, internally. So it “knows” how to convert the cart data into a stream of encrypted/encoded bytes and hands it over to PayPal.

It’s that process of encrypting the data that the plugin needs to know about, and each external merchant uses different names for which fields it requires, those that are mandatory/optional, the format the data needs to be in (dates, for example), and so forth. At its most rudimentary, a bolt-on plugin needs to know:

1. How to encode the cart into something the gateway understands
  2. The destination URL of the gateway
  3. (optionally, if not defined in the merchant account itself) The redirect URL to return to after payment has been completed

Optional extras might be button logos for branding, because people can find “Pay with PayPal” or “Checkout with Amazon” more easily than text links.

The current plugin needs some refactorisation to remove Google Checkout support, and move the currently hard-coded bits and pieces into a separate plugin, e.g. yab-shop-paypal, yab-shop-barclaycard, yab-shop-mastercard, etc. Then the cart (which doesn’t change much) and the payment system(s) (which could change frequently) are separate and more easily maintainable/extensible.

Does that answer your question?

#778 2014-06-16 14:16:18

uli

Bloke wrote #281453:

Does that answer your question?

It does :)
So, direct debiting will then probably be the most complicated part because of the multitude of payment gateways and their respective requirements?

#779 2014-06-16 14:40:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #281458:

Direct debiting will then probably be the most complicated part because of the multitude of payment gateways and their respective requirements?

If you mean ‘direct debit’ in terms of setting up a repeat instruction with the bank to collect money on a schedule, then, uhhh, probably. For example, a monthly magazine subscription or weekly charity donation. I wouldn’t even know where to begin setting that up.

But handling debit card transactions directly through a third party site is no more complicated than PayPal, as long as there’s decent documentation on how to package the content to send over to the gateway. Oh, and you don’t want to store the card details on the Txp site.

I still think that most people believe you need a PayPal account to pay through PayPal…

#780 2014-06-16 14:53:30

uli

Bloke wrote #281461:

If you mean ‘direct debit’ in terms of setting up a repeat instruction with the bank to collect money on a schedule, then, uhhh, probably.

Fortunately, I’d need only one-time payment. But that can wait.

I still think that most people believe you need a PayPal account to pay through PayPal…

That will be true for some more time, we’d have to put ugly signs right in front of their faces to tell them :)
But it seems like a convenient way to satisfy both, most merchants and their clients.

Board footer