Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#217 2009-01-24 21:50:31

mattmikulla
Website

Re: yab_shop (simple textpattern shop with paypal support)

I’m a little unclear about how this plugin works.

Paypal will be my payment gateway. Will the customer have to leave the website and go to paypal to check out fully? I might have asked this before but the plugin has obviously evolved.

My products will have the same price generally. Do I still need to manually enter in a price on each product in the custom field?

Will there always be a dropdown for variant selection? What If the item I am selling doesn’t have a size or color variant?

Can you include a thumbnail from the item at checkout using a form in combination with txp:article_image thumbnail=“1” ? It is a good ecommerce principle to include the item image at checkout

Last edited by mattmikulla (2009-01-25 03:21:56)

Art Rogue – Fine Art Photography

#218 2009-01-26 09:10:04

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

georgeM wrote:

Also, another idea for the shipping (and possibly next version), would be to have the possibility of using a custom field to specify the shipping cost for a particular/single item. At the time of checkout, all of those custom fields could then be added up to the sum of the shipping costs.

Hm, this is an individual and a specific wish for very rare cases. But I will think about it.

Nevermind about the shipping question. It seems that putting “999999” into the “Free Shipping” config fixed the issue (since we do not want to offer free shipping, unless you spend $1,000,000!)

Yes, that’s the correct way to disable shipping costs this time. Maybe I can handle this a bit simplier next versions.

Joey wrote:

Great plugin. I was wondering whether somebody has a working template for yah_shop available which I can use and modify?

I’ve none of them ready to publish, sorry. But I will write a tiny shop-tutorial for txptips.com and that’s a good occasion to offer a simple shop-template, I think.

mattmikulla wrote:

Paypal will be my payment gateway. Will the customer have to leave the website and go to paypal to check out fully? I might have asked this before but the plugin has obviously evolved.

Yes, the shop is not using the SOAP-API. So customers will be completly redirected to the paypal site to finish the order.

My products will have the same price generally. Do I still need to manually enter in a price on each product in the custom field?

At this time yes. Each product needs it’s own price. But maybe I will add a price-category feature in a future release.

Will there always be a dropdown for variant selection? What If the item I am selling doesn’t have a size or color variant?

No. If a product has no variant or size so the dropdown will not displayed. Compare the dot (only variant) with the square (only size and color) at the demoshop!

Can you include a thumbnail from the item at checkout using a form in combination with txp:article_image thumbnail=“1” ?

Hm yes, the product images in the checkout is good idea. Will see what is the best way to support this.

Last edited by trenc (2009-01-26 09:12:26)

#219 2009-01-27 13:30:40

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

New release v.0.5.7:

• new feature: products in cart an checkout table are now linked back to their product site
  • new feature: support for article image thumbnails in checkout table

#220 2009-01-27 15:58:59

mattmikulla
Website

Fast like lightning. I will have to try to install and play when I have time.

Can you recommend checking out any sites using this plugin other the demo site?

#221 2009-01-28 08:34:37

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

mattmikulla wrote:

Can you recommend checking out any sites using this plugin other the demo site?

I have no list of sites using this plugin. But some entries above some some implementation are mentioned.

#222 2009-02-01 02:02:26

els

First of all, this is a wonderful plugin, thank you! Finally I have a project for which the plugin would be perfect. My only problem is (I think) that I’m trying to make it work on an MLP site… I read the entire thread and yes, I found the posts about it not working with MLP, but I thought maybe I could figure out how to modify it so that it would work. Well, apparently I can’t (because whenever I leave a page after adding something to the cart, the cart is empty again), but so far I did manage to make a couple of changes that do work with MLP and I’m hoping desperately that all I need is that someone points me in the right direction to figure out the last missing pieces…

What I did so far is this:

• moved the language strings from yab_shop_config to a separate plugin, yab_shop_lang-mlp
  • modified yab_shop_core following Steve’s instructions for making plugins MLP compatible

That went well, all strings are now in the MLP plugin strings tab and I could add my translations for all languages.

• to keep the language marker in the URL after adding an item to the cart I slightly modified function yab_shop_add() (though I really don’t know if this is necessary for it to work with MLP…)

And now I’m stuck :( The cart is still emptied as soon as I leave the page. The strange thing is that this also happens when I disable MLP for the shop and checkout sections…
What I haven’t done yet is test the plugin on a non-MLP site. Maybe it’s not MLP after all and am I just doing something totally wrong ;) And I should add that I hardly know PHP, so I’m actually surprised that I got this far…

trenc, I understand that we can’t expect you to spend a lot of time to make yab_shop MLP compatible, so please don’t take this as a feature request. I just posted here hoping that some other MLP user (with a little more PHP knowledge than I) might share a couple of thoughts.

#223 2009-02-01 17:55:21

mattmikulla
Website

What is MLP? I did a search for it on the interweb and all I could find is My Little Pony :)

#224 2009-02-01 18:03:11

els

Wish I had a little pony :) Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack.

#225 2009-02-02 09:22:22

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Els, my knowledge of PHP is pitiful, but i do believe that the problem is with URLs. MLP-generated URLs seem to confuse yab_shop. or at elast those were my conclusions when trying to make it work a few months ago. Dont remember many details, actually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#226 2009-02-02 15:25:37

els

kemie wrote:

MLP-generated URLs seem to confuse yab_shop.

Kemie, yes I read your earlier post about this, so I tried to exclude the shop and checkout sections in MLP. I reckoned that if URLs were the problem, yab_shop would work if the shop and checkout URLs were not rewritten. But it didn’t… I went through the code to see if I could figure out where it stopped doing what it’s supposed to be doing, but it turns out to be way beyond me.

#227 2009-02-02 16:15:13

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Oh, then you’ve gotten way way further than me! I gave up :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#228 2009-02-02 17:27:08

kostas45

I am also interested in yab_shop becoming MLP compatible :-)

-Kostas

Board footer