Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2008-04-13 21:48:17

maniqui
Website

Re: dev.textpattern.com gone missing ?

The best way to have IE6/7 (and any other Windows-only software) on a Linux is by creating a virtual machine.
There is VirtualBox: i have tested it and it’s great and easy.
For those who have never messed with a virtual machine, it’s like having another computer inside your computer.
Your real computer is the host, and the virtual machine is a guest, where you install any operative system exactly as if you were doing in on the real one.
Virtual machines don’t need any special hardware, but you will probably need to have at least more than 512 MB of RAM.
So, you can install a Windows XP on your virtual machine and then install something like Multiple IEs (easy way to install IE7, IE6 and any previous version of IE) or IETester (I think it also supports to install IE8 beta).

You can improve the performance of your virtual machine by tuning and tweaking your Windows XP (common tweaking like disablng themes and eye candies, uninstalling un-needed software, disabling background services, etc).
That’s why I go with some versions of WinXP named TinyXP and MicroXP, that are unattended installations, stripped down (unnecessary componentes disabled or removed), already tweaked and tuned-up and up-to-date with services packs and security fixes, that run really smooth, consuming less space on HDD and less RAM than any WinXP SP2 as it comes bundled by MS.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#50 2008-04-14 15:15:16

hakjoon
Website

I don’t know if VirtualBox supports Virtual PC images (VMWare does) but MS makes time bombed VPC images available for browser testing.

Saves you from having to buy Windows just for browser testing.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#51 2008-04-14 16:58:47

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Btw: The Safari Windows Version runs under Wine, and — as said before — IE6/7 from the IEs4linux-project. (Debian Lenny)

#52 2008-04-15 06:30:08

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just thinking out loud here but I would think that most people who run Safari Win only do so as a browser test to ensure that Safari Mac works OK so wouldn’t it be more appropriate if you could get Mac apps to run under Linux? Is that possible at all?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#53 2008-04-15 07:18:32

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

There are virtualizers like VMware and MacOnLinux. But I don’t know how these works. I don’t know another solution. I think there is no API like WINE for Windows, ‘cause the former PPC arch doesn’t allow this.

Last edited by trenc (2008-04-15 07:20:41)

#54 2008-04-25 16:04:06

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well my disks arrived today so I have a fun weekend ahead. Unfortunately they are 7.10 so I get to learn how to upgrade as well. Oh joy. :)

Stuart

#55 2008-04-25 17:00:51

zero
Website

I got 7.10 from Linux Magazine, so was going to do the same as you, Stu. I tried installing 3 times but each time could not login. Kept getting wrong password/user name message, even though I had them right. I never dowloaded 700mb before and thought it would take a long long time but I downloaded 8.0.4 from Heanet (Ireland) last night in about 15 minutes! I just installed it and am using it now. So far, so good!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#56 2008-04-26 15:06:39

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

Unfortunately they are 7.10 so I get to learn how to upgrade as well. :)

Be careful upgrading, just read this post over at the Debian forums.

#57 2008-04-26 21:31:34

els

Peter and Stuart, just stick with 7.10 for the moment. What I see at the Dutch Ubuntu forums is that almost all experienced users are very enthusiastic about Hardy Heron, but the less experienced ones seem to encounter quite a few problems. At the moment I don’t have the time to experiment, but I might have a go at it next week; I’ll keep you informed. It won’t be a problem if you keep using Gutsy, it will be supported for another year :)

Edit: Peter, I overlooked that you already installed 8.04. Fresh installs always seem to work better than upgrades anyway :)

Last edited by els (2008-04-26 21:34:16)

#58 2008-04-27 08:19:27

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Mmmm. Thanks for the link Bert. So what does that mean? Should I just install Ubuntu 7.10 and wait for the fixes to go into the new version or ignore Ubuntu entirely and download Debian?

Stuart

#59 2008-04-27 13:49:54

zero
Website

From my point of view, 8.0.4 looks just the same as the 7.10 live cd which I ran for a few days. I can’t see a difference unless I look on the Ubuntu site to find out. I’ve installed Wine, no problem, and some Windows progs all without problems. (Well, just one slight hitch. A winehq.com link is needed now and then when installing Windows progs and it sometimes doesn’t work on first click, but always works at the second attempt) I’ve got XAMPP up and running ok. I’ve got IES4 and IE6 running. When I first tried to open IE6 from the desktop it froze my system. But on reboot it is all working fine, so it’s probably the windows thing of restarting the computer everytime you install a windows program that kicked in. I’m using IE6 now. So all is very very well :-)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#60 2008-04-27 14:04:12

els

thebombsite wrote:

Mmmm. Thanks for the link Bert. So what does that mean? Should I just install Ubuntu 7.10 and wait for the fixes to go into the new version or ignore Ubuntu entirely and download Debian?

I don’t think you should look at Debian forums to learn things about Ubuntu, just like reading Ubuntu forums won’t give you unbiased information about Windows :)

Last edited by els (2008-04-27 14:06:50)

Board footer