Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-04-12 20:50:56

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: dev.textpattern.com gone missing ?

I have to agree with Els at this point, I want something that works at least until I’m comfortable with the various aspects of updating and setting preferences.

What I have always wondered about is that it is so easy to keep Windows up-to-date so why haven’t the various Linux distros come up with something similar?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#38 2008-04-12 21:52:37

maniqui
Website

At work, I use Kubuntu. It’s great for web-development, particularly because of KIO that makes it really easy to work with remote files/folders (FTP, WebDAV) as if they were mounted locally.

In my laptop, I have installed Xubuntu. I like its look and feel.
One thing you would like to know is that whichever desktop version (Gnome, KDE, Xfce) of Ubuntu you install, you can install apps created for other desktops. They will only take probably some more space on the HDD (because apps developed from one desktop will need some desktop libraries to work properly), but they won’t steal resources when they aren’t running. That was something I didn’t know at first.

Keeping Ubuntu up to date is fairly easy, even between different releases (versions). It’s true that it’s easy to keep Windows up-to-date on the same version, but I’ve read many horror stories about trying to upgrade from one major version of Windows to another (W98 to XP, WinXP to Vista).

As Els points, in a few days there is going to be a new release of Ubuntu. Because I’m a little obsesive, I will wipe out the current installation and start from scratch, but mainly because I want to re-learn (and probably, suffer too) some things again.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#39 2008-04-12 22:25:42

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Keeping debian up-to-date means typing this in a terminal window: apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade (whichever you prefer)
And that upgrades everything, unlike with Windows, where it only upgrades some Microsoft stuff and nothing else.

#40 2008-04-13 11:22:30

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Windows update will update drivers as well as Windows itself and Microsoft applications but for non-Microsoft applications there is usually the option to have the application check for it’s own updates so it isn’t reliant on Windows update. I have to say, having used Windows at home since version ’95 (3.1 at work) that from an update and reliability point-of-view I’m pretty happy with my existing Windows XP sp3 setup, I’m just not comfortable with being so reliant on one company, Microsoft. And I shall avoid Vista like the plague for at least 2 years.

Stuart

#41 2008-04-13 11:41:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

I shall avoid Vista like the plague for at least 2 years.

Only 2? Try ‘forever’ :-D

Vista is like living in a nanny state. Things like “Oooh, you can’t do that it might hurt me” or “That is potentially unsafe, are you sure?” repeated ad nauseum until you’re close to chucking the machine out the window. And it sucked the machine dry in terms of performance.

After a day of installing software apps and updating drivers (mixed with the mandatory reboot after almost every other app/driver) on a new machine with Vista pre-installed I was just clicking “yes” without even reading the security notice, which surely defeats the point!

Copious swear words and one complete reformat later, Ubuntu was on the box; it’s heaven in comparison. The latest OS from Micro$oft is one big Vistake.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#42 2008-04-13 15:56:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

I’ve seen Ubuntu Studio convince a lot of people to finally make the change.

Don’t get me wrong, Ubuntu has been great for the Linux community. But as a long time Linux user, I feel that eventually, if you have the time and inclination, using another distro like Debian, will teach you more about your machine.

thebombsite wrote:

I’m pretty happy with my existing Windows XP sp3 setup

I thought about installing sp3, but I decided on waiting for the official rollout. I’m not very adventurous on my XP partition, once things are working, I leave them alone.

#43 2008-04-13 16:38:30

zero
Website

I’d love to delete Windows. Has anyone got Opera, Firefox, Safari, IE6 and IE7 running on Ubuntu, Debian etc?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#44 2008-04-13 17:33:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero,

I use Firefox only, Debian calls it Iceweasel, don’t ask.

For IE, try out IEs4Linux – a simple wine based installer.

Opera has a Linux build out, Opera 9.27 for Linux i386.

Safari, I guess you could run the Windows version under Wine or test in Konqueror, which is close to Safari in rendering.

#45 2008-04-13 17:42:57

zero
Website

Thanks Bert, IEs4Linux looks OK but has anyone here actually used it?
Is anyone using Wine for their windows apps?
I’ve tried Debian before and Wine but never got wine to work right. I just wanted a couple of windows apps but could never install them.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#46 2008-04-13 18:46:12

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@Bert – well I did wait until they got to RC2. ;)

@Stef – My new machine came with Vista pre-loaded. I managed to last about 2 hours with it before fetching out my XP disk. As for the 2 years, I hope I will be happy enough with Ubuntu or whatever not to have to bother at all. :)

You know, 4 to 6 weeks seems like an awfully long time right now.

Stuart

#47 2008-04-13 19:51:07

els

hcgtv wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, Ubuntu has been great for the Linux community. But as a long time Linux user, I feel that eventually, if you have the time and inclination, using another distro like Debian, will teach you more about your machine.

I did not get you wrong :) You are right, Ubuntu is great for pulling people away from Windows. The inclination is there all right, and whenever I will have that time, I’m going to install every distro I can find. It’s just when you don’t have the time and you want something that – sorry, here I go again – ‘just works’, there is nothing wrong with sticking with Ubuntu. And not everyone wants to develop an intimate relationship with his machine ;)

Konqueror, which is close to Safari in rendering.

Thanks, I did not know that.

Peter

I’m using Wine, for ies4linux and one or two other windows apps that I haven’t found alternatives for. They work for me but apparently not all apps do. So if you really need them you can always dual boot for a while (that’s what I do, until I can convince my husband to leave windows alone…)
Besides Firefox, I have Opera and Konqueror for testing, and I also use IE Net Renderer and BrowsrCamp for screenshots.

Stuart

Unless you’re still using dial up, download the ISO and burn it onto a CD :)

#48 2008-04-13 20:11:33

zero
Website

Thanks Els, that’s enough for me! I’ll be moving to Linux pretty soon. I just have to figure out the best way to go about it – my windows setup has become a real mess and my hard drive is nearly full.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer