Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-04-11 08:41:21

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: dev.textpattern.com gone missing ?

Amazing! I remember at work that our first computers all ran in DOS and when the first Windows came out I simply couldn’t get on with it and continued to boot my own machine into DOS. I found that I had become so used to working within a directory tree and using DOS commands that Windows simply confused me as I didn’t know “where I was” on the computer. Of course that was partly the point of Windows, not needing to know, simplifying the operation by just clicking an option but it completely threw me.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#26 2008-04-11 14:40:43

els

ruud wrote:

it wasn’t until I switched to Linux in 2002 that I stopped missing 4DOS.

Same here ;) (another year though…)

thebombsite wrote:

I found that I had become so used to working within a directory tree and using DOS commands that Windows simply confused me as I didn’t know “where I was” on the computer.

Stuart, Linux was made for you :) Give it a try!

Of course that was partly the point of Windows, not needing to know

It doesn’t want us to know, keeping us ignorant makes us dependent :(

#27 2008-04-11 19:00:40

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well on my old machine I had the hard drive partitioned and was running a copy of Ubuntu, which I liked but I never got my modem “connected up” so was unable to do any on-line stuff. I haven’t tried installing it to the new machine yet. I must have another go at it. Which flavour of Linux do people recommend these days?

Stuart

#28 2008-04-11 19:00:56

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The first computers I ever used were Tandys that ran on DOS (ah the site of a child typing dos commands). Then in elementary school we had Macs. Boy was that a confusing change. A little later I remember having a classmate who was raving on and on about how awesome Windows 95 was.

#29 2008-04-11 20:45:55

els

thebombsite wrote:

Well on my old machine I had the hard drive partitioned and was running a copy of Ubuntu, which I liked but I never got my modem “connected up” so was unable to do any on-line stuff. I haven’t tried installing it to the new machine yet. I must have another go at it. Which flavour of Linux do people recommend these days?

I started with Ubuntu and sticked to it, so I can’t compare :) I just love it, the only trouble I encounter is caused by hardware, but that’s because of the manufacturers that only provide closed drivers! So indeed, every time I upgrade Ubuntu I have to do some serious figuring out how to get the wireless internet connection working again, and of course I don’t upgrade often enough to remember what I did last time… ;)
But every new version of Ubuntu is better in handling hardware compatibility, and anyway, I like it so much that it’s worth a bit of figuring out every once in a while.

#30 2008-04-11 21:00:38

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

True. I’ll have to have another go. I’d better send off for some new disks though. The ones I have are version 5.10 and must be about 18 months old. I bet they’ve moved on a bit. ;)

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-04-11 21:02:56)

Stuart

#31 2008-04-11 23:05:57

els

thebombsite wrote:

I bet they’ve moved on a bit. ;)

Just wait 12 more days and you can have 8.04 LTS :)

#32 2008-04-12 00:28:32

typeshige
Website

There are lots of people who like Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian..

I personally like Gentoo. The setup is pretty long and involved, but provided you follow the directions and take it slow, you’ll learn a lot just from the install. Those guys and gals did a great job on the documentation (Handbook)

If you don’t mind spending time messing with the system, Gentoo is a great one. By default, it doesn’t give you a GUI, but that’s easy to install. The hard thing about Gentoo is the sheer number of choices you have with just about every step, so you’ll probably be back to the net to read up on the options you have. Luckily, there are a ton of “howto” documents and the forum is quite useful too.

My take on the philosopy of Gentoo is that everything is compiled on your machine using the settings for your processor and adding only the modules you want. For example, PHP has a ton of things that can be compiled into it and most pre-compiled packages take the “kitchen sink” approach. If you want to make the most of your resources, you’ll select just the things you need and Gentoo is designed to make that as painless as possible.

I’d recommend putting it on your oldest, slowest computer for learning Linux. Try compiling a kernel and installing it too!

thebombsite wrote:

#33 2008-04-12 07:30:06

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@Els – well I’ve already ordered a couple of disks (last night) but they do take 4 to 6 weeks so hopefully I will get the newer version. I also checked up on the latest “how to” for my modem and it seems a bit more detailed and easier to understand so hopefully I can get it up and running this time.

@typehinge – thanks for the info. The reason I have a new machine is because the old one packed up on me. I’m not sure exactly what the problem is though I suspect it maybe the graphics. I can boot up into safe mode so when I get the time I shall try and find the fault and fix it. Then I can start playing around a bit with some different flavours of Linux.

Stuart

#34 2008-04-12 14:40:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

Just wait 12 more days and you can have 8.04 LTS :)

I followed the Ubuntu forums for awhile, I came away with the impression that it was hard to upgrade to newer versions, many horror stories from users made me cringe a bit. I use Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based off of, and I’ve never had a problem upgrading to the next release.

I like Ubuntu, I like it’s polish, learned a lot from it when I had it installed on my laptop, especially how to get Gnome looking really good. Though I feel this polish comes at a price, it’s almost a Windows like experience, good in that new users get a chance to run Linux, bad in the sense that when things break, dropping into a command line is the only way to fix things.

My feeling is that Ubuntu and similar hand holding distros are great to start off with, but then a user, when ready, should throw away the training wheels and run a different distro.

#35 2008-04-12 15:52:54

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Same here. I’m using Debian testing, which is okay if you don’t mind fixing stuff every now and then.

#36 2008-04-12 17:12:27

els

hcgtv wrote:

I followed the Ubuntu forums for awhile, I came away with the impression that it was hard to upgrade to newer versions, many horror stories from users made me cringe a bit. I use Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based off of, and I’ve never had a problem upgrading to the next release.

I’ve seen those horror stories as well, but personally never experienced them :) Most of the times I’ve done a clean install of every new version, but recently I just did a distribution upgrade, and that went smoothly.

I like Ubuntu, I like it’s polish, learned a lot from it when I had it installed on my laptop, especially how to get Gnome looking really good.

I don’t care about good looks… It should ‘just work’, and that’s what it does for me.

Though I feel this polish comes at a price, it’s almost a Windows like experience, good in that new users get a chance to run Linux,

That is probably a very important advantage of Ubuntu, it makes crossing over from Windows easier for those that value the ‘polish’. I’ve seen Ubuntu Studio convince a lot of people to finally make the change.

bad in the sense that when things break, dropping into a command line is the only way to fix things.

I don’t think that is bad, it’s an advantage! There is always the command line to help you out :)

My feeling is that Ubuntu and similar hand holding distros are great to start off with, but then a user, when ready, should throw away the training wheels and run a different distro.

ruud wrote:

I’m using Debian testing, which is okay if you don’t mind fixing stuff every now and then.

Though I really enjoy ‘fixing stuff’ when I have the time, in the end it should ‘just work’, isn’t that why we are leaving Windows?
So of course I will run different distros – when I have the time to experiment, which unfortunately is not likely to happen in the very near future…

Board footer