Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-06-26 16:29:57

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [wiki] Textbook redesign 1

Destry wrote:

A content audit and IA change is definitely in order. We’ll even take it to the page level and eliminate all needless words.

When I was converting the txp:tags into DokuWiki, I found a lot of needless markup in the wiki.

Having HTML attributes scattered about makes a mess of things and will cause people to shy away.

From txp:article

; <code><b><em>[[Attributes_Cross_Reference#customfieldname|customfieldname]]</em>="</b><em>value</em><b>"</b></code> : Restrict to articles with specified value for specified custom field name. Replace "customfieldname" with the name of the custom field.

The above line defeats the usage of a wiki, you might as well use plain HTML with SVN to manage the versions.

The same line in DokuWiki:

=====customfieldname="value"=====
Restrict to articles with specified value for specified custom field name. Replace "customfieldname" with the name of the custom field.

You have to resist the urge to make the wiki look pretty, it should be functional.

Last edited by hcgtv (2008-06-26 16:37:03)

#14 2008-06-26 17:29:33

jm
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

You have to resist the urge to make the wiki look pretty, it should be functional.

Cha-ching! That’s why I’ve never created new tag entries – it’s a mess of inline-HTML.

#15 2008-06-26 21:25:16

hakjoon
Website

Well to be fair there is a lot more formatting in that line than in the dokuwiki line. The same exact code would work in MW.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#16 2008-06-26 21:33:49

hakjoon
Website

I create a new page with just the basic list of topics on the home page to get us started on re-organizing the data.

Please help flesh out the topics and suggest organizations.

#17 2008-06-27 01:04:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

Well to be fair there is a lot more formatting in that line than in the dokuwiki line. The same exact code would work in MW.

Yes, without the extra formatting, the line would be as simple in Mediawiki.

Keeping it true to wiki syntax would make the documentation easy to convert to other formats. I’m not just talking about moving to another wiki or documentation system, but popping up Textbook pages in the admin section. When you’re in the backend creating pages and forms, or you want to dig deeper about a configuration change, you could use the info in the wiki.

Sorry if at times what I write or how I write it, comes off or reads badly. Often, I just write my thoughts down before there’s another distraction that takes them away. Then I come back to the thread and read what I wrote.

#18 2008-06-27 14:06:40

hakjoon
Website

I totally agree with you. Just wanted to point out that it wasn’t a mediawiki vs dokuwiki situation it was just how those pages got formatted.

I should see if I can restrict html and force people to use the wiki text (I’m sure I’ll become very popular)

#19 2008-06-27 14:21:43

zero
Website

I don’t really know any mediawiki code yet and was going to use html. Are there options for emphasis, strong, strong emphasis, code, underline, overline etc in the mediawiki code? Not for the sake of it looking pretty but to aid understanding.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#20 2008-06-27 14:37:09

hakjoon
Website

Here is a textile to mediawiki comparison and here is a slightly more extensive wikitext doc It’s not that different from textile although I do really hate how they do strong and em. Teh textile/markup approach is much more visually distinctive imho.

#21 2008-06-27 15:03:11

zero
Website

Thanks, Patrick, I should have found those myself. I no longer can think of a good reason against restricting html but perhaps leave it until after the reorganisation just in case there’s some html somewhere that is essential?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer