Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-04-05 14:06:13

kvnmcwebn
Website

Re: hosting

btw.
I set up an account at a small orange just so i could build sites on subdomains. Every thing there is great but Ive notice a few very brief(one refresh reloads it) seconds of downtime. Id be reluctant to put a commercial site live on it because of that . Other that that its really good value. But I might have to shift over to them anyway if i can get txp going on the media temple subdomains. Still its worth trying to figure out cause the gridservice seems to have really good uptime for a shared situation…

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#26 2008-04-05 15:54:28

jm
Plugin Author
Website

kvnmcwebn wrote:

jm wrote:

The problem is that htaccess files doesnt get read on subdomains. For proper domains the standard .htaccess file works.

Does mt’s support help at all? Or do they just cripple subdomains?

#27 2008-04-05 17:01:20

kvnmcwebn
Website

hi jm,

>>Does mt’s support help at all?

I made support aware of this, they aknowleged the proplem but said they dont know how to fix it. They told me to try the textpattern or media temple forum…

Someone told me that maybe the root htaccess file is somehow interfering with the subdomain htaccess files but i dont know.

photogallery

#28 2008-04-05 19:56:46

jm
Plugin Author
Website

That’s awesome. I love it when hosts don’t know jack about their product. Site5 was pretty similar as far as being retarded for reseller support. I finally solved my problem, as it was RewriteBase that was incorrect.

I don’t know what else you can do – sorry!

#29 2008-04-06 03:18:08

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Does anyone have experience with Mosso? I’m looking at options that would allow me to provide hosting to clients, and they look interesting.

I’m also curious about United Hosting for my personal sites and projects. Can anyone give a review of them?

Thanks. :)

#30 2008-04-07 15:12:28

kvnmcwebn
Website

jm wrote:

That’s awesome. I love it when hosts don’t know jack about their product. Site5 was pretty similar as far as being retarded for reseller support. I finally solved my problem, as it was RewriteBase that was incorrect.

I don’t know what else you can do – sorry!

jm i got clean urls going on the subdomains.
Its funny you can use the standard textpattern .htaccess for regular domains but you have to use a different one for subdomains. i have it on the clean url tweaks thread.

photogallery

#31 2008-04-09 23:08:47

Ian Goldby
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Dragondz wrote:

Hi everyone
I take a look to to wiki page and i found that HostGator was not recommended!
I am surprised cause I moved some of my website to it last month (I took a reseller package with cpanel) and all look to work just fine, no problem with file permission or directory permission (image and file set to 755)!

I’m just in the process of setting up a new site on HostGator. I had difficulties, but in the end it turned out to be that since I haven’t transferred the domain over and have to refer to the site as http://<ip address>/~example I needed to set RewriteBase /~example in my .htaccess file. Once I have the DNS entry changed so that the site is accessed via http://www.example.com/ I will delete this again.

(Note that there is no trailing slash in the RewriteBase rule – the example in the default .htaccess file does have a trailing slash, but if you put this in then category links don’t work.)

I understand that the file permissions issue is related to PHPSUEXEC, which many host providers use these days. If PHPSUEXEC is used, then a script must not be world-writable. The same applies to the directories holding scripts.

If you are starting an account from new this is not a problem. It may be a problem though if you manually changed the permissions to make scripts world-writable, or if they were world-writable before the ISP switched to PHPSUEXEC.

I think the wiki page is misleading.

#32 2008-04-09 23:39:55

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Ian Goldby wrote:

I think the wiki page is misleading.

Then edit it. As I said, it could’ve been due to the svn co’s permissions. I’d never had a checkout be that troublesome before (not chmod 777 issues). However, the locked down, $10 jail shell is what sucks most about Hostgator. Not related to TXP for FTP, but it’s a huge PITA for ssh usage.

#33 2008-04-15 17:55:56

fangonk

I use aplus.net for hosting right now and they totally suck. I mean really really awful. So I am considering a move to media-temple. Has anyone used media temple? How did installation go? Did you have any trouble with .htaccess? Are they worth the $20/month?

#34 2008-04-15 20:06:26

kvnmcwebn
Website

fangonk wrote:

I use aplus.net for hosting right now and they totally suck. I mean really really awful. So I am considering a move to media-temple. Has anyone used media temple? How did installation go? Did you have any trouble with .htaccess? Are they worth the $20/month?

fangonk,
I feel your pain, and i know about media temple grid service. The standard .htaccess files /clean urls now work across the board for me. I think its worth it because the uptime is great and the admin/backend is nice. The tech support could be more knowledgeable. They now have user forums which i find more helpful than the support for anything textpattern related.

photogallery

#35 2008-04-16 02:37:06

km

For non-critical hosting I’ve been using Surpass Hosting, and my experience has been pretty good.

Sometimes their older shared servers get put at the back of the line in a round of updates, and sometimes the apache settings can be inconsistent between servers, but they’re trivial matters.

Sometimes they run insane intro offers, so you check things out for almost nothing.

The most traffic I’ve put through there is 14,000 unique users / day (for a little while). No problems to speak of.

Overall, they’re not exactly top-shelf, but they’re cheap enough that it never really mattered to me.

Board footer