Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-01-25 20:18:07

guiguibonbon

Re: xPattern - Your questions answered

Els wrote:

your small group of people who happen to know how to code and who feel that their well intended contributions were rejected unjustly.

It’s not even about that. Potential was just being lost. Developers in the community would just watch the core not evolve, wait a month or more before their patches would be implemented if at all, while in the mean time they could have helped so much more.

There is a long lasting organizational/communicational problem where community members reporting defeats in txp would not know if they are being read. Devs also have their own (assumably legitimate and justifiable) plan regarding crockery, which they want to keep their own (also for assumably legitimate and justifiable reasons).

They are totally in their own right. Instead of criticizing them about their decisions, we figured the time came to make plans of our own. We proposed to do that with their collaboration, they told us they had no reason not to stick to their (assumably legitimate and justifiable) plan.

In other words, no one is mad at anyone. We have our reasons, explain them at great extend, and invite anyone interested to join. They have their plans, don’t explain them to great extend, don’t invite anyone to join, but probably have as many reasons to do so as we have not to do so. Time will tell what comes out of it all.

Els wrote:

For me, and for everyone else who is not planning to go anywhere, this means we will have to go and find alternatives for the plugins in question, better now than wait till things stop working.

Let’s not dramatize. Txp 4.0.6 will be rock-solid and have all those plugins you already have, and who already work. Not much was going to happen until crockery anyway, which at current rate is not to be expected in months, but in years. There’s nothing that’s suddenly going to stop working on its own before then.

#14 2008-01-25 20:21:21

zero
Website

Bert said:

for the first time in a very long time, the Textpattern devs are interacting with their community in an honest and open way.

I think this is what Els is referring to. The txp devs only interacted with a small group and not ‘their community’ as Bert says.

Like Maniqui I am sad. The total energy is going to be split. But xPatterners have wanted a change for some time, so it’s finally happened and I hope it all goes well. As a user, I will have two CMSs at my disposal. If they are both equally simple and elegant as TXP is now, then I will be very happy.

As for the practicalities and workload of the different devs and community perceptions and interactions, who knows? If your heart is in the right place then it will work out, if it isn’t it won’t.

Last edited by zero (2008-01-25 20:31:42)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#15 2008-01-25 21:33:36

els

Is my English that bad that you all seem to read things in my post that are really not there?

I am not sad. I am not criticizing anyone for going their own way. That’s what happens with open source.
A number of people does not find in Textpattern what they really need. Their efforts to get these needs implemented have had no – or no sufficient – success. Instead of going on complaining about this forever, they find another way to get what they need. That’s not dramatic, that’s sensible.
My remark about the plugins is also not dramatic, just sensible. Plugins get abandoned from time to time – and not only because authors start their own fork – and maintenance is not always picked up by someone else. It’s not always wise to become too dependent on plugins. That’s what I meant.

What I do criticize – and let me emphasize that not all of you are doing this – is the suggestion that’s being made over and over again that the true reason for this to happen is that the devs have been uncommunicative and unco-operative and unwilling – or whatever you are calling it – to meet the wishes of ‘the community’. Apart from the negative wording, that very much influenced my feelings about the presentation of this fork – and about similar discussions in the past – this applies only to a limited number of people. Over the years I have seen lots and lots of feature ideas being implemented in the core. If I would need a feature that was not in TXP, I would first ask for it, and if I couldn’t get it, I would look elsewhere. Just like you are doing now. But at the moment TXP meets my needs and I am perfectly happy with the way the devs communicate things. And I am convinced that goes for the majority of the community.
So please don’t use that word in this context again.

#16 2008-01-25 21:58:41

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I think it would be best if further discussions about this were conducted on that software’s IRC channel or forum.

#17 2008-01-25 22:18:00

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Board footer