Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2008-01-17 17:13:00

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [ARCHIVED] Postmaster (0.4.4) -A simple newsletter manager

colak,

good news. thanks for the thanks, and the recommendations. they all sound good, but some initial thoughts: the List field has a nifty feature which is cascading lists which I think might be nixed using a “combo box” (which honestly I don’t know what that is). I definitely wanted to do multi-edit, but it was going to hold everything up so I let it go (added to the feature requests page ). You can change the width and height of subscriber inputs in your Postmaster Library (don’t do it yet because Gemal has noticed an error and it’ll have to be overwritten) — I think that will help your situation. Finally, are those anything you can help with?

gemal,

good eye. I can’t find the Library error you mentioned, can you give me a line number? I’ve fixed the header issue you mentioned to the mime emails work again (I got too caught up in trying to get everything neat and made an error). I think I’ll wait and see if any other errors are found and I’ll post the fix later today.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-01-17 17:55:58)

#22 2008-01-17 18:23:18

colak
Admin
Website

“combo box” (which honestly I don’t know what that is)

Please read “multiple select list” when “combo box” is mentioned :)

Finally, are those anything you can help with?

My php is non existent and my javascript is more like appropriating code rather than anything else. I am going through the source code of your library and if i figure out why the layout breaks on long lists I will definitely post it here.

Re cascading lists Does the commonality have to happen at the end of the word as per your example or can it happen in the beginning?

ie would “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” both be included in a batch mail to newyork?

>edit typos

Last edited by colak (2008-01-17 18:27:48)

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#23 2008-01-17 18:32:12

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Colak,

It doesn’t matter where the text is in list names (so as you say, “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” would both be included in a batch mail to “newyork”). Technically, you don’t even need to establish the lists “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” in Postmaster — you could establish only “newyork” but then use your subscription form to insert “newyorkbrooklyn” or “newyorkqueens” into your subscriber’s List field.

Check out this page for how to customize preferences. I think this would be a hack, rather than the proper fix to the issue, but might solve your broken layout issue in the meantime.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-01-17 18:45:56)

#24 2008-01-17 18:58:34

colak
Admin
Website

benbruce wrote:

It doesn’t matter where the text is in list names (so as you say, “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” would both be included in a batch mail to “newyork”). Technically, you don’t even need to establish the lists “newyorkbrooklyn” and “newyorkqueens” in Postmaster — you could establish only “newyork” but then use your subscription form to insert “newyorkbrooklyn” or “newyorkqueens” into your subscriber’s List field.ut

that makes sense. It is actually a vey useful function for us as we can have a ‘nememembers’ list and a ‘nemecontributors’ one with ‘neme’ sending to both.

Check out this page for how to customize preferences. The article needs to be updated (there are some new miscellaneous prefs including field width and height) but should give you an idea of how to change the subscriber input fields width. I think this would be a hack, rather than the proper fix to the issue, but might solve your broken layout issue in the meantime.

Well, unfortunately, I figured it out and it is not possible to fix as the list names cannot have spaces in between them. here is a screenshot which demonstrates the layout break.

Last edited by colak (2008-01-18 13:34:04)

Yiannis
——————————

#25 2008-01-17 19:51:22

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Colak,

I have spaces between my list names. Have you tried it with spaces, and it’s not working? Or was the documentation unclear?

• Ben

#26 2008-01-18 07:04:08

colak
Admin
Website

Ben, i seem to remember (maybe wrongly) that the previous version of the plugin allowed a subscriber to belong to multiple lists but those had to be comma separated without a space…

So what you are saying is that i got it wrong and the lists should/could be space separated?

>Edit damn typos!!!

Last edited by colak (2008-01-18 14:12:34)

Yiannis
——————————

#27 2008-01-18 17:07:36

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Colak,

Give it a shot. The list field doesn’t care what the terms are separated with — it just searches for the text (the list name you’ve selected from the Write tab).

• Ben

#28 2008-01-18 18:58:13

colak
Admin
Website

benbruce wrote:

Give it a shot. The list field doesn’t care what the terms are separated with — it just searches for the text (the list name you’ve selected from the Write tab).

I will do that, especially after textdrive decides succeeds to in booting the server.

Last edited by colak (2008-01-18 19:16:01)

Yiannis
——————————

#29 2008-01-19 06:24:41

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Ben, I got this after sending out a test email in debugging mode:

Notice: Undefined variable: uPosted in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/publish.php on line 843

Warning: extract() [function.extract]: First argument should be an array in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 511

Notice: Undefined variable: listSubjectLine in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 513

Notice: Undefined variable: listName in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 517

Notice: Undefined variable: listAdminEmail in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 522

Notice: Undefined variable: listAdminEmail in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 523

Notice: Undefined variable: listEmailForm in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 537

Notice: Undefined variable: thisarticle in /home/example/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()'d code on line 552

All of those fields are filled in on the list details too. Another thing is the list claims to be sending to all the subscribers (eg. “104 done”). Doesn’t seem to though, which would be a good thing (newsletter not complete – using a dev list).

Export errors

I just noticed this – I exported a list of subscribers from a site I updated from 0.3 to 0.4 and all the fields were offset. The Name fields were filled with subscriber IDs, the email fields used names, and the name fields used email addresses.

Last edited by jm (2008-01-19 06:43:50)

#30 2008-01-21 17:30:50

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve released the first bug fixes here (reported by Gemal).

jm,

I think this may have something to do with the error messages you were receiving. If you are mailing HTML emails, it should also be the reason the emails were not actually making it to subscribers.

re: the export/import function. Earlier in the thread you mentioned they were working great — was that on a different site, or had you simply not noticed the transcription error yet? Also, you shouldn’t have to export/import to move from 0.3 to 0.4 at all. Just upload the new version of the plugin and it should recognize the database table no problem. Let me know what you can about the import/export error and I’ll take another look. I expect if it’s a bug (and it sure seems like it) it won’t be too hard to find and fix.

• Ben

Board footer